The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:57:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mexican Coca-Cola  (Read 31825 times)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« on: May 04, 2008, 01:50:03 PM »

This is way off topic but interesting.

We've been buying bottled Coca-Cola imported from Mexico by the case since they started selling it in Denver.

I just got off the tower and chugging a bottle right now.

The big difference is the taste. They use the old-timey Coke formula and real sugar in glass bottles, not corn sweetener. Maybe even real 'coca'..It tastes like a crisp Coke, not smarmy stuff. There's a real difference.

If it shows up in eastern stores, I recommend trying it. There is *nothing* better on a hot afternoon in the shade.

Besides, my XYL says corn sweetener is bad for you.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 01:52:38 PM »

my XYL says corn sweetener is bad for you.

And it's in 99% of commercially prepared food products, even stuff that isn't supposed to be "sweet".

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 02:05:39 PM »

Bill,

I hope it starts making it east of the Mississippi.  I was in Cuba in 2000 and they get their Coca Cola from Mexico also and I had forgotten how much better the "real" stuff tastes.

Rodger WQ9E
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 02:23:46 PM »

It's interesting that you sometimes run into authentic original products manufactured in other countries long after they have been discontinued in US markets and  replaced with "new improved" fake versions.  I remember finding authentic Octagon had soap in Ethiopia in the 1960's, something I hadn't seen since the late 40's. I once visited a real old fashioned Woolworth's in Nairobi, complete with the gold lettering on the red sign.

Now if you could just find authentic transmitting tubes that were just as good as the US-made originals...

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 04:48:15 PM »

I just did a Google search on Mexican Coca-Cola..The American Coke bottlers aren't very happy about even the small presence of the Mexican import, but it's not illegal to import it, so there's nothing they can do about it.

The price in Denver is $20 for a case of 24 12 oz green glass bottles.

One store owner in Atlanta reported that his Mexican Coke outsells the American version by 3 to 1, even though it costs more. Coke claims there's no difference in taste between the American corn syrup and real sugar versions, but there definitely is if you do an A-B taste test. It's an entirely different kind of sweetness.

k7yoo

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 04:53:30 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much about the corn sweetener. It won't be around much longer anyway--It will be made into ethanol so you can burn it in your SUV. Another really bright idea.
Skip
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 05:20:49 PM »

The Dr. Pepper plant in Dublin, TX bottles the 7 oz. bottles of the drink.  Like someone said, it is more expensive but the taste is much better.  It is not widely distributed, only about a 50 mile radius of Dublin (Waco area), but sells like hotcakes.  People drive from Dallas, Austin and San Antonio to buy cases of it.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 05:43:01 PM »

Reminds me of the New Coke vs Classic Coke controversy in the early 80's.  But I guess it is a sign of success when you get the public arguing over which one of your products is better.

Years ago when they still sold Coke in the 6 oz returnable bottles, and then later offered it in 10 oz bottles, I always could have sworn that the stuff in the smaller bottles tasted better.

Never did think it tasted as good in cans as it  did in the old indestructible glass  bottles.  I have seen people literally use those glass bottles to drive nails and they didn't break.  I'd bet they would make a good base insulator for a lightweight vertical using something like a 30 to 50 ft TV pushup mast.

To-day I rarely drink soda.  I prefer handcrafted ales from a local microbrewery.

- - -
WA9UDW

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 06:29:30 PM »

Besides, my XYL says corn sweetener is bad for you.
High fructose corn syrup may be no worse than other sugars like sucrose (table sugar)...see this report: http://www.drmirkin.com/public/ezine032308.html
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 07:21:46 PM »

Reminds me of the New Coke vs Classic Coke controversy in the early 80's.  But I guess it is a sign of success when you get the public arguing over which one of your products is better.

Years ago when they still sold Coke in the 6 oz returnable bottles, and then later offered it in 10 oz bottles, I always could have sworn that the stuff in the smaller bottles tasted better.

Never did think it tasted as good in cans as it  did in the old indestructible glass  bottles.  I have seen people literally use those glass bottles to drive nails and they didn't break.  I'd bet they would make a good base insulator for a lightweight vertical using something like a 30 to 50 ft TV pushup mast.

To-day I rarely drink soda.  I prefer handcrafted ales from a local microbrewery.

When first introduced in cans, the metallic taste was offset by adding sodium (read salt).  Then they introduced the plastic lined cans so they could now call it "low sodium".  Yes there is a difference between the canned Coke, Dr. Pepper, etc.  and the bottled version whether they use corn syrup or sugar.  Now as to the difference between the 6 oz. and 10 oz bottles, I am not sure, maybe perception.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 07:46:46 PM »

Don't drink soda, pop or whatever it's called these days.  Gave it up about 13 years ago.  I was 235lbs when I quit and feeling like crap from drinking large quantities of it back then.  I''ve held 180 lbs since giving it up and changing the overall diet.  No sugar, no caffiene and I feel damn good for someone approaching 50.  Just finished doing the first lawn cut for this year.  Have an acre to cut  with a manual mower.  Takes about 2 1/2 hours to cut.  Damn that felt good.  Glad I quit that junk.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
AF9J
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 08:00:26 PM »

Hmmmmm,

Believe it or not, the US Coke bottlers, do (or at least did for a short time) sell the "real" old formula Coke in the US.  I was listening to Marketplace last year on the radio, while driving to work, when it was mentioned that Coke was selling the old sucrose based coke for the jewish market, during Passover.  I think they mentioned it was done, due to the fact that corn syrup based coke isn't kosher during passover, but the old (pre-1980s) sugar based Coke is.   Here's another article that was written on this:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03192007/news/regionalnews/kosher__coke_a_big_hit_regionalnews_rita_delfiner.htm

Many non-jews who have tried out the kosher Coke, have also clamored for it.  I think it's due to the fact that the sucrose, isn't so syrupy sweet, like fructose is.  Me, I prefer either RC Cola, or Pepsi One (which of course is sugar free [well, sort of - it uses Splenda, which is made from sugar]).

Ellen - AF9J
WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 08:20:10 PM »

Soda is nasty I'm lucky to drink a glass full in 6 months. I can't wait for it to become fuel and get all that crap out of our diet....and the pills that go with it.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 08:45:19 PM »

the corn we grow here in USA is no good for eating, being mostly starch, with only a ittle protein in the germ. It's used to make corn sweetner and other stuff. I believe the process uses supluric acid as a first step. If we ever get into food trouble, it will be a rude awakening. eat all the corn you want and starve to death..

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3LSN

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 10:36:52 PM »

Around here they have been selling something called "Jolt" cola that has a slogan "real sugar and twice the caffeine".  I like the "in your face" attitude about it as it sits there on the shelf next to "diet this" or "caffeine free that".

I agree with Don in that I always thought that Coke in the original 6 .oz glass bottles tasted best. I also remember that when popped the top on one of those bottles there would be a little swirl of grey mist that would form in the neck and poof out the top.

73, Jim
WA2AJM/3
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2008, 11:36:22 PM »

I think the Jones soda company is the only national outfit that sells cane sugar sweetened pop...
n1exi

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2008, 11:42:54 PM »

Jolt Cola with a shot of Jim Beam I  call a Transporter - " Beam me up" - but the taste of coca cola varies with the bottling plant - noticed the taste very distinct from new england to new jersey - Newark NJ must have done something with the Passaic River (post sopranos) - superior to the Philly plant
Enjoy!
Greg
AF9J
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 12:26:56 AM »

Around here they have been selling something called "Jolt" cola that has a slogan "real sugar and twice the caffeine".  I like the "in your face" attitude about it as it sits there on the shelf next to "diet this" or "caffeine free that".

I agree with Don in that I always thought that Coke in the original 6 .oz glass bottles tasted best. I also remember that when popped the top on one of those bottles there would be a little swirl of grey mist that would form in the neck and poof out the top.

73, Jim
WA2AJM/3

I remember Jolt. It's been out for years.   I've had it once in a blue moon.  That stuff is nasty to your stomach if you drink too much of it.  BTW, a local TV station did a story about Jolt some years back.   Your basic garden variety cup of coffee, still has more caffeine than Jolt.

Ellen - AF9J
W3LSN

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 01:39:28 AM »

I remember Jolt. It's been out for years.   I've had it once in a blue moon.  That stuff is nasty to your stomach if you drink too much of it.  BTW, a local TV station did a story about Jolt some years back.   Your basic garden variety cup of coffee, still has more caffeine than Jolt.

Ellen - AF9J

Frankly I can't drink much cola or coffee anymore. It makes my heart race. I've switched to sipping bottled water and my waistline and energy level are much improved. I think it has made a difference at the dentist too.

73, Jim
WA2AJM/3
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 01:12:27 PM »

Recently I checked into the availability of glass bottles for old Coke machine usage and was told they could still be had on special order. Wonder if this is the source? Other than the occasional special promotion around Christmas or for some sporting event, the glass bottles are hard to find.

Coke blundered bigtime with the New Coke/Classic Coke debacle. No doubt related to the Pepsi Challenge of the same era. Does the change from sugar to corn syrup correlate somehow with folks preferring Pepsi?

Always thought Coca Cola had the better marketing and packaging side of things, while Pepsi wasn't as goopie tasting. RC is a lot more difficult to find these days.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 03:30:38 PM »

...Coke was selling the old sucrose based coke for the jewish market, during Passover.  I think they mentioned it was done, due to the fact that corn syrup based coke isn't kosher during passover, but the old (pre-1980s) sugar based Coke is...  Many non-jews who have tried out the kosher Coke, have also clamored for it.  I think it's due to the fact that the sucrose isn't so syrupy sweet, like fructose is.

Most of those old Jewish taboos (clean vs unclean, kosher vs nonkosher) that may on first sight seem silly to many of us, are based on sound hygienic principles from a perspective of the limited scientific knowledge people had back in biblical times.  Read some the formulae and details as described in Leviticus.  A kosher diet would probably be healthier than a non-kosher one, regardless of one's religious beliefs.  Moslems follow a kosher diet similar to the Jewish one.

Similarly, a diabetic diet is a very healthy one, even for non-diabetics.

I might drink one or two sodas over a 6-month period.  I can't imagine how people can stand to gulp down several 20 oz bottles of that crap every day.  When I used to teach in high school, they had soda machines all over the place, and the only products offered came in 20 oz bottles.  School administrators claimed they had no choice but to keep the soda machines because it was a necessary source of funding for extracurricular activities.  But there was a strict rule against drinking sodas in classrooms (the inevitable spills caused too much mess).  Basically the school was telling the kids to buy the stuff but not to drink it.  This resulted in as ongoing cat-and-mouse game between students and teachers in nearly every classroom.  If an administrator stepped in and caught a kid sneaking sips from a soda, even hidden well out of the sight of the instructor, it was usually the teacher who got in trouble, not the kid.

I agree that high-fructose corn syrup makes products nauseatingly sweet, while regular sugar is more palatable.  Consuming one or two beers a day has to be much healthier than consuming that same amount of soda every day.

- - -
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 03:45:28 PM »

We have a local outfit here that makes their own sodas.  By far they are the best flavorwise and probably better for you too.  I prefer them over the super power beverage makers.  Of course that's when I might have one since I stay away from that stuff.

Bob
W1RKW
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 01:05:46 PM »

I've always liked the little companies, the off-brand stuff. When was the last time you saw Birch Beer for sale? One of my favs as a young 'un, available in any small town general store.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 04:32:34 PM »

My wife will pick up a 24 variety case of what essentially is homebrewed soda from the local outfit.  Me not being a soda drinker these days will take part in that libation every-once-in-a-while and will grab something from the variety pack.  Birch beer is usually my first choice and boy does it taste good.  Some of the other flavors just beat the pants off of the major labels.  This is were we get the good stuff: http://www.averysoda.com/

Bob
W1RKW
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 07:55:10 PM »

Anyone else ever hear of Deleware Punch?  Last I saw was in Pampa, TX some years back.  It was light, non-carbonated and just a taste of sweetner.  The brand covered many states when I was a kid in the 50s but I doubt it is still around.  Good drink that didn't pollute one's system.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015