The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 05:04:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reprinting NAVSHIPS 0967-LP-063-2010 April 1970 R-390A manual  (Read 12634 times)
W1RC
Contributing

« on: December 13, 2007, 08:14:44 AM »

In 1996 I produced some half-decent copies of the NAVSHIPS 0967-LP-063-2010 manual dated 15 April 1970 which, if you don't know, is the Navy manual for the R-390A. 

The originals were and still are pretty well much unobtanium.  It is my understanding that the NAVY requires the old manuals to be turned in upon receipt of the newer one and then destroyed.  I got my hands on an original and made the 1996 copies from it.

I have decided to produce a limited run of copies from a pristine original NAVSHIPS
0967-LP-063-2010 manual dated 15 April 1970.   Mine was originally the Naval Electronics Laboratory Center Library (San Diego) circulating copy.  There is even a Date Due slip showing that only one person ever took it out and that was in February 1971.  I got it with a radio.  It was developed under contract by Philco-Ford Communications and Technical Services Division.  They produce training materials for Ford/Philco products as well and are very good.  If you have seen one of these I am sure you will agree they are superior to the Army and AF versions which are completely different.

I should note that this is not the actual manual upon which the Y2K manual in .pdf was based.  The team who produced it used the SPAWAR 0913-LP-009-1400 manual of 1985 (or EE125-AB-OMI-010/P610 R390A/URR if you prefer) as a basis for the Y2K Edition.  It is available online free of cost:

http://www.r-390a.net/faq-refs.htm#Y2K  Scroll up the page and you'll find a lot more documentation for the R-390A!

However, since the '85 Navy manual looks a lot like photocopies and not printed, it could very well be copied from the 1970 manual hopefully with any corrections and updates included.  Because they are essentially the same and the quality of the 1970 edition is clearly superior I chose the earlier edition to reproduce.

This is very time-consuming as you can imagine but am willing to do it because the NAVY manual is BY FAR the best technical reference available for the R-390A.  It is NOT a rehash of the Army/Air Force manual set.

The pull-outs will be made on 11X17" sheets which are taped together.  The cost of doing them on an engineering copier are prohibitive.  Some of the pull-outs in the manual require four sheets of 11X17" paper to produce and are 58" long!   All the 8-1/2" X 11" pages are double-sided as per the original manual. 

They are going to be printed on state-of-the-art digital printers (they're not "photocopiers" any more!) that my printer purchased last summer.   This is a small shop that does a lot of archival material copy work for Dartmouth College.  The photos will be exceptionally clear.  I was very surprised when I saw how good these machines are.  It is going to pretty hard (but not impossible) to distinguish these copies from the original. 

Regarding the binding:  I can deliver them unbound without holes in them so you can choose how you want to bind them.   As an option I can have the printer bind them using a heavy plastic-covered wire coil which will allow the pages to lie completely flat.   The printer charges an additional  $3.50 to do
them.  This is the best method in my opinion as the pages will lie absolutely flat when the manual is on the workbench.  I highly recommend this method of binding the manual.

I am setting a cut-off date for orders of Monday December 17th.  I will produce them over the holidays and mail them out after New Years.   Again, the cost is $35.00 per manual with Priority Shipping at $5.00 for a total of $40.00.  If you want the wire coil binding the total will be $43.50.

Please let me know how you want your copy unbound with no holes punched if your want to do it yourself or if you want the wire coil binding offered as above.

Please send your check or money order to:

Michael Crestohl, W1RC
PO Box 511
Hartford VT 05047-0511

The last time I ran off seven copies and the guys who got them were very pleased.  I think the copies will be even better this time because of the advance in digital printing technology.

Michael, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015