The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:28:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broadcast Station Lame Music Formatting  (Read 26551 times)
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2008, 10:19:27 AM »

WQXR in Pittsburg?

WQXR was "the radio station of the New York Times"... played classical music in NYC...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2008, 11:51:34 AM »

Back in the [ Rosey  Wink ] good old days, one could find a frequency, and apply for a license, and if you demonstrated that you were going to serve the public, you usually got it.  It *could* be challenged, but the license grant was based on public service.  Ahhhhh..... fast forward:  Now, the frequency would be put up for AUCTION.  And GUESS WHO HAS THE MONEY Huh  The big chains.  So, "your" frequency would be auctioned off to the highest bidder.  Serving the public?  What's that?  That went out with the rule modifications.

And that spectrum is not even the government's to auction.  The only money the government could legitimately claim, is what it would take to recover the costs of licensing, administration and rules enforcement, as provided under the Communications Act.  The jillions of dollars that go to the US treasury from spectrum auctions is in reality a hidden federal tax.  Telecommunications expenses pervade the entire economy much in the same manner as energy costs.  A few examples include the costs of radio and TV advertising, satellite communications, landline communications (remember, landline systems are tied together via microwave and satellite links), mobile telephone service, as well as wired and wireless internet.  The exorbitant sums of money those big chains and other communications providers pay for the spectrum they are awarded doesn't just come out of thin air.  The auction winners pass the cost on to their customers in the form of price rises for their goods and services. Those surcharges keep getting passed along, until they ultimately trickle down to the individual "consumer" - you and me, in the form of higher prices for everything we purchase, regardless of whether or not we personally use wireless telecommunications services.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2008, 02:36:24 PM »

Yeah, Bear, Meant to say WQED.  About WQXR, 1560(?) The classical programming seemed to die about 1985. Then they went to "All American Classics", Sinatra and stuff... then I lost their nightly sky wave after a move.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2008, 08:46:19 PM »

A couple years ago, the one of the local stations here went dark(WSMN-1590). Luckily it(the license?) was bought by a small time broadcasting company and still has a very local flavor, gone to talk radio format. although they do carry the big syndicated stuff too.  The other station(WGAM 900) is an all sports format, mostly national, although they will broadcast the local semipro ball teams games. 

I'm rather surprized that a city as small as Nashua can support two local stations...

on the other hand I caught my son researching "Pirate Radio" broadcasting, seems he wanted to broadcast his own talk/music format.    Not with my license in the house thank you. Though I want to encourage him along those lines, maybe I'll get him one of those Part 15 kits to start, with an MP3 player and computer who knows.

Maybe I someday can get him in to test for his ticket...

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
NE4AM

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2008, 01:25:03 PM »

Normally I don't see eye to eye with Tim Robbins, but I guess his keynote speech to the NAB was quite the hit.  He ripped the broadcast industry a new one, bemoaning the 'national playlist' and the 'abyss' that the media have become.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/CA6551356.html

To quote:  “Shouldn’t broadcasters see themselves as part of a larger picture, isn’t there an obligation to honestly report on what’s going on, to pursue stories past their headlines,’’ Robbins said. “Haven’t criminal acts occurred in government? Shouldn’t there be accountability for inept policy decisions? Shouldn’t someone be fired? And you know something? I didn’t hear any of that, because I am still thinking about that...(Paris Hilton photo)..."

Testify brother, testify.

73 - Dave

73 - Dave
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015