The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:00:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ..GOAL POSTS IN FOOTBALL..WHEN DID THEY MOVE?  (Read 7941 times)
ve6pg

« on: April 15, 2008, 05:26:21 AM »

..does any one know when the goal posts moved from the goal line, to the end of the end zone, and why?...tim..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 08:51:37 AM »

Used to happen most Friday nights, Tim. Pink elephants were the culprits. Wink

Don't take this as gospel, but I *think* it happened in the 70s when they went to the single support goal posts. If you look closely, you'll see that the actual goal part arches outward to the goal end line, the support is just moved to the back. Think this was done to cut down on collisions, discourage tearing down the goal post after games (or, at least, make it more difficult), and things of this nature. They still get torn down, just not as often.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 09:47:46 AM »

1973 was the last year we played with posts on the goal line. They were moved for the start of the '74 season.
Reasoning was simply to cutout the possibility of injury. Also, receivers would use them as a pick thus the name "post pattern".
The horizontal bar now rests directly over the END LINE, not the goal line. It is out of the field of play. A field goal falling short and remaining in the end zone is a live ball. If the attempt hits the crossbar it is a dead ball. Same with a kickoff. If it hits the crossbar it is out of bounds and comes out to the 20 yrd line.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 09:57:07 AM »

You're absolutely right, Bud. I corrected my previous post to reflect the END Line and not the Goal Line. What was I thinking, or was I even?  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 11:55:42 AM »

You're absolutely right, Bud.

"Course I am !!  Grin
W8EJO

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 11:58:45 AM »

Up your way in CFL land they are still on the goal line.

* football-canadian-CFL-field-dimensions-diagram-lrg.gif (27.85 KB, 600x486 - viewed 582 times.)

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
k3sqp

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 02:02:24 PM »

The other reason was in 72 the NFL moved the hash marks ( where the ball is placed ) in  toward the  middle,
thus  chaning the angle and making kicks too straight on. Hence 2 years later they moved
the posts back to the end line...
Frank
K3SQP

hAM radio, The future is in the past...
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 02:32:17 PM »

I am amazed at kickers today. Seems it is normal to hit a 35 yarder like a chip shot.
ve6pg

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 02:33:19 PM »

..all very interesting...ya, CFL field is alot larger, so is the ball. 3 downs, the ball is thrown more, and it is not uncommon to see the ball "kicked-back", from inside the end zone, if there is a missed field goal, and you cant run the ball out...55 yard line, is the centre of the field, as well..doug flutie, warren moon, jeff garcia, joe theisman, excelled in the cfl...tim..sk..

k3sqp

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 10:50:15 PM »

Hey Tim,
Speakin of Doug Flutie , he was the last one to "drop Kick" a score. A PAt in 2006.
Last one before him was in 1941....
Frank
K3SQP
Hey don';t get a guy from Pittsburgh started on football... But thats months away... How bout them Pens....

hAM radio, The future is in the past...
ve6pg

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 12:05:22 AM »

...hey frank...
..ya, the pens...they are gonna beat ottawa on wed. night....
 ottawa is a group of very talented players, but not team mates...very dysfunctional..
 the pens, on the other hand, has a core group of young, exciting players, having fun, with a few veterans just there to keep them on an even keel...a great mix, in my opinion....

the reason fer the question was, i knew the goal posts were moved, at some time, but on sunday, the movie "dirty harry" was on, and if you remember, "harry" tracks the bad guy down, at a football stadium. there is a aerial view of the stadium, and the goal posts are on the goal line...i think it was made in 1971...got me thinking again....tim...sk..

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015