The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:29:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: West Coast on 75  (Read 2554 times)
K9ACT
« on: April 15, 2008, 01:15:46 AM »

Around 0400Z I head some stations on 3880 that all sounded like 6's so I fired up the big rig and threw in my call and was welcomed into a roundtable.  I could copy almost everyone but no one except W6 Oscar Meyer used phonetics so I had some trouble sorting them out.  Just about everyone could hear me and a few said Q5.

This was most amazing as I had only once before even been acknowledged by a six.

Some of the stations acknowledged were WB6YEC, WA6HCF?, W60M, K6OI, and N7UA near Seattle.  There were others but I could not get the calls.

They are involved in a group at California-AM.com

Great bunch and great fun,

Jack
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 08:55:33 AM »

I'd think you would work west coast pretty easily and often from your mid-western location, Jack. Sorta like the northeast working 4 and 5 land.

There's a group down on 80m as well that show up from time to time. I got the impression they were OTs who are mainly on SSB but once or twice a week fire up their old AM gear and spend the night on AM. I worked them 2-3 months back, fairly early in the evening compared to the night I worked KO6NM and the gang last year.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K9ACT
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 09:19:02 AM »

I'd think you would work west coast pretty easily and often from your mid-western location, Jack. Sorta like the northeast working 4 and 5 land.

Does not seem to work out that way.  In the year and a half I have been back on the air, I have only heard the West Coast once or twice and only one confirmed contact. 

Makes me want to take another look at a Beverage.  Receiving is more than half the problem but my property is oriented the wrong way.  A North/South one would be easy but not much use.

js
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015