The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:27:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WTD Yearbook year  (Read 6971 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: March 16, 2008, 10:52:30 PM »

In the 50s the ARRL had the Chambers 813 "3 control" rig as one of its centerpieces. I have collected all sorts of articles on it as well as one of the early Handbooks with it. As most of you know I am rebuilding one

However there is one Handbook scan I found on the net with particularly clear and different angle pictures that I want to either own or see very good scans of it. That article also incorporates a number of changes over the developed over the years.

Since it calls out information on QST up to October of 1956, I presume it is the 1957, 8 or 9 Handbook. It is in Chapter 6 and starts out on page 192 "A 500 Watt Multiband V.F.O. Transmitter.  I do know it is not a 1960 as I have one of those and it is not in there. A scan of the first page of the article/ Handbook that I am looking for is below.

Can you check your Handbooks for those years and tell me which year starts it on page 192 ? Tell me the year and I can try and find one of my own on line?

Thanks and 73

Carl /KPD

* 813 pic.jpg (84.72 KB, 454x768 - viewed 627 times.)

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 11:59:37 PM »

Go to the ARRL AM web site page:
http://www.remote.arrl.org/tis/info/am.html
Go down to the topic Three Control Six-Band 813 Transmitter
The three QST articles are there along with 1957 ARRL Handbook article that you're looking for.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 09:09:55 AM »

Go to the ARRL AM web site page:
http://www.remote.arrl.org/tis/info/am.html
Go down to the topic Three Control Six-Band 813 Transmitter
The three QST articles are there along with 1957 ARRL Handbook article that you're looking for.

Hi Pete,
I have the stuff from the ARRL website, it is just that the scan of the pictures in not very good- So I want to get the actual Handbook or a good scan

Thanks

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 09:23:34 AM »

Hi Carl,

The 1957 HB has the article "A 500-Watt Multiband VFO Transmitter" on pages 192 to 197, chapter 6.  The first page of the article matches the one you posted.  I could also check the '55 and '56 handbooks in case you have trouble finding a copy of '57.  If you cannot find a copy, let me know and I will help with the scans, or loan the book to you.

Rick

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 09:31:13 AM »

'56 handbook has it on pages 194-198.  '55 has it on pages 174-178.

55 and 56 articles have smaller and fewer pics, and the first page has an oblique view of the front panel, where 57 has a straight-on larger view of the front, with more pics in the article.

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 02:00:42 PM »

There's a 55 and 57 ARRL Handbook on ebay right now. These Handbooks pop up there all the time.

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 02:07:24 PM »

Thanks Pete

And note who the high bidder is "cnord"

Coincidence? I wonder?   Cool

WA1KPD
Carl Nord

Carl

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 02:31:46 PM »

Thanks Pete

And note who the high bidder is "cnord"

Coincidence? I wonder?   Cool

WA1KPD
Carl Nord

On one, high bidder is d***c
On the other, it's i***i
Beyond that, we can't tell who the final winner is until it's over.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 02:48:20 PM »

Hey Carl -

Which year do you need? I have a box of duplicates at home and would be happy to give you the one you need if I have it, thereby saving you the ebay hassles. I can check tonight. And I'll be down around New Haven tomorrow and Wednesday, so a drop off is possible.  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 08:56:26 AM »

Hi Todd,

All set. Any chance of an eyeball tonight?

Carl

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 01:56:43 PM »

Hey Carl -

Sorry for the delay, had a pretty tight sked down there, so I would've had to meet you somewhere on the way back. Was a 'short notice' situation. And anywhere south of Springfield Mass is not a good place to be after 3:30 or so.

Glad you got the needed book!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015