The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:40:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NC-57 Cabinet Restoration -- Recommendations?  (Read 2253 times)
N4JOY
« on: March 11, 2008, 02:20:16 PM »

Hi -- I completed a lengthy repair/restoration of a National NC-57.  The electronics are now 100% but the cabinet was poorly painted sometime in the past and is need of repainting.  I absolutely hate painting and presently do not have the time for all the stripping, prepwork, etc.  that will be involved.  Can anyone recommend someone who specilizes in boatanchor refinishing?  I could probably bring it to a body shop but the stamped lettering will present a challenge.  I guess after all the hours involved in the repair I would like a professional restoration job done on the cabinet.   

Oh, I did check with Dee Almquist, W4PNT and was informed that he is no longer refinishing cabinets.  It's a shame because my Johnson Ranger could use a repainting as well.

Thank you!

Chris 
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 06:30:23 PM »

Am not much of a painter myself ...

THere seem to have been a billion of the NC-57 series made. Wonder if you could find one with a nice cabinet to implant your guts into ?, ..  then perhaps move along the ready-to-restore radio.  Thoughts form a fellow paint-free ham.    73  GL  Vic
N4JOY
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 09:39:50 PM »

Yes, I think you are right.  Finding a "parts" NC-57 with a nice cabinet is going to be the way to go.  Last time I attempted a cabinet restoration project I made a mess!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015