The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:05:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boeing  (Read 102067 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2008, 09:54:51 PM »

As for buying American, even Ten-Tec rigs are filled with components manufactured with offshore slave labour.

Isn't it interesting that the only radio manufacturer in the world to use such parts is the American Ten-Tec made offerings!? How shameful! Wink

No, that's not true, but Ten-Tec is about the only major US manufacturer of radio communications equipment that still sells to the general public.  How many Rockwell-Collins slopbucket transceivers do you see advertised in Queer Street Times these days?

Even nominally made-in-USA automobiles, by the remaining American manufacturers, largely consist of parts made in Japan, Mexico and other "offshore" localities.  And those companies are still struggling to survive because so many Americans consider their products to be pieces of crap and won't buy them.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2008, 10:06:31 PM »

Not really. Toyota is kicking butt! Even in NASCAR.

And those companies are still struggling to survive because so many Americans consider their products to be pieces of crap and won't buy them.

David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2008, 10:52:36 PM »

Like a Buick 231 (3.8l) V6.
GM sold those engines to many companies.

David, K3TUE
wb1aij
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2008, 12:11:17 PM »

Air Bus employs Americans too. Don't be so racist.
#%X%*("%#!@&^%(&^%$#  that!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2008, 12:37:35 PM »

That puts out more power than the GM units. Toyota rules! Next will be Honda. They've already dominated in Indy and F1 racing (real racing as opposed to the amateurs in NASCAR).

Not really. Toyota is kicking butt! Even in NASCAR.

Using a clone of the Chevrolet engine. They moved the distributor to the front to make it look different.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2008, 12:45:02 PM »

Toyota is kicking butt!

He said "butt" !  Shocked Shocked
WA1GFZ

« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2008, 04:33:38 PM »

I know I've sent some nasty letters to the beltway bandits.
The Jefferson Memorial roof is high enough that we could hang a few right in the building.
A nice $600 check to a Boeing guy will make him feel good when he loses his job.
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2008, 06:20:09 PM »

Frank,

Boeing is going to make a fortune on the 787 and they have open reqs for over 600 engineers TODAY according to one of my buddies who works there. Of course they are late on the 787...

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2008, 07:38:16 PM »

What about the poor Grumman guy who loses his job? I guess you have stock in Boeing.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2008, 08:17:05 PM »

Embarrassing to whom? We have Airforce bases in foreign countries.

What about the poor Grumman guy who loses his job? I guess you have stock in Boeing.

I don't think any current Grumman employee will lose his job, since the plant that's supposed to be doing the work doesn't exist yet.

Come on now Steve, ya gotta admit it's a little embarrassing to have the USAF let a contract to a foreign provider for planes!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2008, 08:21:26 AM »

787 is late because there is a lot of new stuff going on. We are making a ton of stuff for it. We could buy planes from Air bus and save all that pesky R&D money.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2008, 08:24:01 AM »

Every plane has something new. The 787 is late because Boeing is incompetent. They are late on a schedule THEY made. Go figure.

787 is late because there is a lot of new stuff going on. We are making a ton of stuff for it. We could buy planes from Air bus and save all that pesky R&D money.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2008, 08:41:12 AM »

So based on that comment we should have scrapped the space program after the first rocket blew up.

The biggest screw ups of all land where?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2008, 11:09:48 AM »

Based on your comment, not mine. I never said anything about scrapping anything. Where did you get that?

The space program was largely a big waste of money. We could have spent it on better things right here on earth and the good old USA.
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2008, 11:19:50 AM »

We haven't seen the end of this.   There will be great gnashing of teeth in Congress and lawsuits.

One question I haven't seen addressed is why Airbus won.   I heard the DOD guy say they're offering a better plane in all regards.   We can't blame cheap ("slave") labor.

When I worked for Boeing we prided ourselves in being better than MacDonald-Douglas.   At least we thought so.  Now the only competition is Airbus and it looks like they built a better mousetrap. Perhaps when the dust settles, Boeing will get a second chance and come up with a better plane.

My real opinion is this, though:  We spend more on our military than the next forty countries combined. I've seen figures that say more than the rest of the world in total, all of Europe, China, Russia, Iran, and everybody else all put together. That's too much.

Ike was right.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2008, 11:39:10 AM »

Ike was right but he needed the M.I. complex to win as much as he hated it.

Screw the world build it here keep the talent here and if it isn't right fix it here.

K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2008, 01:31:12 PM »

2008 World Military Spending (projected)

A few excerpts:

USA $711B, 48% of total for the world
All of Europe combined including UK 289, 20%
China, 122, 8%
Russia 70, 5%

Total 1.473 Trillion

So I was wrong.   We don't spend more than everyone else combined.   We spend just a tad less than the whole rest of the world combined.   I think we're suckers and should let some of the former imperial powers of Europe and the emerging world power, China, have more of the fun. The Europeans should build the damned tankers and just give them to us.
-------------------------------------------------------

Source "Center for Arms Control and Non-Proliferation" (whoever they are).   I think the US numbers are low
WA1GFZ

« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2008, 01:54:03 PM »

Now look at the credit card balance in say Russia.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2008, 02:56:09 PM »

It ain't military spending busting our budget !!

Can you say, " Hey Hillary, give me more welfare ? ""
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2008, 03:23:50 PM »

Shop around people, many stores in this area now feature signs that read, "We will beat WalMart's price on any comparable item".

Whixh just means they are selling stuff from China too. TANSTAAFL applies everywhere, not just at Walmart.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »

Probably. I'm just saying other stores sell Chinese stuff besides Walmart. It's a bogus rap on Walmart.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2008, 08:21:04 PM »

While nothing will probably replace the old economy factory jobs, it's gratifying to read about new success stories.
I gotta ask, why wasn't the company Boeing?

Vestas, a Danish company, recently invested in and built a 400,000 square foot factory not far from my QTH to manufacture large wind turbines for the North American market.These kind of businesses are a win-win for everyone, providing decent-paying jobs with benefits to manufacture products for the the growing renewable energy market.

Not long ago ago, Colorado voters passed a law mandating that the state's  utility companies generate 20% of the state's electric power from renewable sources. Understandably contentious, but the payback is beginning to happen in tangible ways. Last year, 700 megawatts of wind and solar power was constructed here, that's about the output of a large coal-fired power plant. Regardless of politics and whether global warming is factual or not, this waste not mentality is good to see happening, IMO. And it's paying back in the form of real American jobs, too.

----------------------------------

World's top wind-turbine maker opens first U.S. plant in Colorado
By JUDITH KOHLER Associated Press Writer
Article Last Updated: 03/05/2008 05:32:34 PM MST

WINDSOR, Colo.—The world's largest wind-turbine maker officially opened its first North American manufacturing plant Wednesday on Colorado's northern plains, where it expects to produce blades for 600 turbines a year.

Denmark-based Vestas Wind Systems will eventually employ about 650 workers at its 400,000-square-foot plant outside Windsor, about 60 miles north of Denver. It has about 200 workers now.

Ditlev Engel, Vestas' president and chief executive officer, said the United States was the company's largest market last year.

"We have great faith in the potential of our industry in this country," he said.

Gov. Bill Ritter attended the plant's ceremonial opening and called it "a victory for our state."

He said Vestas will help attract other renewable energy companies to Colorado. Ritter has set a goal of attracting renewable energy research and manufacturing operations to the state for what he calls the "New Energy Economy."

"We now have in-state manufacturing capacity to supply wind farms not just in Colorado but across North America," he said.

Ritter said the Vestas plant has already spawned conversations with other companies thinking about locating in Colorado. He declined to elaborate.

Vestas spokeswoman Lone Mortensen said the factory expects to reach full production in May. It finished its first blade on Jan. 31.

The plant will make 130- and 144-foot long blades weighing about 6 tons each. They will be used on two turbine sizes, producing either 1.65 megawatts or 3 megawatts.

One 3-megawatt wind turbine can supply more than 1,000 American homes with electricity for one year, Vestas said.

Vestas has installed more than 33,500 wind turbines in 63 countries and employs more than 15,000 people worldwide. It has installed more than 4,000 megawatts of wind power in this country.

Vestas cited Windsor's access to rail services and a skilled work force as reasons for choosing the location. Engel said the fact that Colorado has a statewide renewable energy standard was another factor.

Utilities selling electricity in Colorado must get 20 percent of their power from renewable energy sources by 2020.

The town and Weld County offered Vestas incentives worth a total of about $1.1 million in deferred development fees and tax breaks, interim Town Manager Kelly Arnold said.

Craig Cox, executive director of the Colorado-based Interwest Energy Alliance, a trade and advocacy group, called the plant "a true manifestation of the New Energy Economy."

He likened the significance of the plant to Colorado's voter-approved requirement that utilities get some of their energy from renewable sources.

"I think it shows Colorado is finally on the map," he said.

———

On the Net:

Vestas Blades America Inc.: http://www.vestas.com
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2008, 08:36:32 PM »

What were you saying about conspiracies earlier? Do you hear the helicopters?

Probably. I'm just saying other stores sell Chinese stuff besides Walmart. It's a bogus rap on Walmart.

Everybody sells Chinese goods but NOBODY else can get the deal that WalMart has via certain U.S. politicians and the Chinese government help that they enjoy, Arkansas power ya know.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2008, 09:14:19 PM »

Yep, sounds just like the CFR, Trilateral Commission and the Illuminati all wrapped up in one.

Good one!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2008, 09:49:28 PM »

Bud are you a bit early on the Clinton basing. I take it you feel the past 7 years went well?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015