The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:53:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Followed me home,,,NC-300  (Read 3442 times)
K7NCR
« on: February 24, 2008, 12:51:37 AM »

I went to a small regional ham fest today, and came home with several good bargains. The best one was a mostly operational NC-300, from a 3 way swap with about $80.00 spent. The cabinet has been soda blasted, and needs paint. Anyone have a good match in a "big box store" kind of spray paint? Show/collector quality not required here. I downloaded the manuals from BAMA, so I'll go over her before use. I always wanted one, so here we go! Oh, also have a chip in the wrinkle painted front trim. Pretty hard to match up, I assume? May not even worry about it for now. I had a blast today! Sure wish I were closer to some of the large swap/fests. I guess I'll have to retire early so I can go on the road! 73 for now.....
Norm K7NCR
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 07:37:50 AM »

Norm, try subscribing to the National reflector. I got some great ideas and assists when I was working on HRO-50. I see hints like this all the time.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 10:39:58 AM »

Nice!

Fwiw, in case you find one or more bands stone cold deaf, it's fairly common on that receiver for there to be an open in one or more of the coils at the input to the first RF stage... my friend picked one up a few years back and I had to go in and unwind a turn or so and resolder. It happens when someone transmits and too much RF gets into the front end. A set of back to back diodes might provide sufficient protection at the input terminals...

_-_-WBear2GCR

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
K7NCR
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 02:53:09 PM »

Thanks for the heads up, Bear. I'll watch for that. And I did subscribe to the National email reflector.
Norm K7NCR
Rick K5IAR
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 04:25:01 PM »

You can say you were in the right place at the right time.. Congratulations on some great acquisitions!

Rick/K5IAR
K7NCR
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 10:34:46 PM »

I went with the intent to MAYBE find a HF mobile. None were avail., but I started to look at other items, with no intent to purchase. Then came the MFJ-989(?, pre-cross needle) 3KW roller tuner, with slipping roller drive shaft, talked down to $40.00, the NC-300, old Philco wood cabinet tabletop radio, $10.00. (seller GAVE me 2 unknown console radios, to be picked up when weather improves.) No buyers for my CD antenna rotor or the Swan Cygnet 270. Oh, well. They will sell on e-pay, I guess.
 I just got done fixing the tuner. I used a left over ceramic 1/4 shaft insulator from an old navy tuning unit, with a chunk of one stainless shaft for an extension. Works WAY better than the original plastic shaft!
Have a great evening everybody!
Norm K7NCR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015