The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:02:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Committee Reports From Jan BoD meeting - Band Planning One of the Topics  (Read 8555 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: February 26, 2008, 03:06:24 AM »

Committee Reports from the January 2008 Board of Directors meeting are now available on the ARRL web site for viewing and digestion. Lots of great information on some of the "behind the scenes" administrative and technical type activities.
http://www.remote.arrl.org/announce/reports-2008/january/

Of possible interest to those readers who love to pounce on every ARRL word, here are a few excerpts from the "Band Planning" committee. However, I would suggest that one read the entire Band Panning Committee Report first, before you go off the deep end.

"...At the last Board Meeting, the Committee provided two recommendations regarding the process of band planning once the FCC approved regulation by bandwidth...."

And
"...Given the current status of the FCC and regulation by bandwidth, it is unknown when the FCC will take any action on this matter..."

And
"...It became apparent after the adoption of the Region 2 Band Plan that ARRL needs a process to assure that future recommendations for band planning are coordinated for such IARU Conferences. As part of its Charter, this Committee was charged with considering IARU band plans for anticipating implementation of regulation by bandwidth...."

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1UJR
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 04:17:06 AM »

Pete,

Thanks for posting the notice!

I find that I frequently overlook reading the minutes of the ARRL BoD meeting, and all too often hear about things second hand, rather then reading directly. It is much akin to the childhood game of "Telephone", by the time it goes through four or five people you can't recognize what was really said.

I appreciate the opportunity to read what really happened, directly, myself, for it is one of the privileges, but also one of the responsibilities which come along with being a member of any organization.

I appreciate your role as the informal ARRL "Ombudsman".  Wink

73 Bruce W1UJR

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 01:58:49 PM »

Indeed, Pete, thanks.

I note with interest that the bandplanning committee, whose sole reason for existence is "for the purpose of supporting ARRL’s Regulation by Bandwidth Petition (RM-11306)" is now proposed to "be the input source to the Board for future proposals and coordination for [IARU] Conferences."

Ah, such is the vicious circle of life.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 04:14:31 PM »

Hmm. Seems Harrison previously claimed the committee was there to take input on the bandplan, not implement 11306 or something similarly ill conceived. He’s more than a little delusional when he claims the ARRL conducted an open process. Feel free to send your comments to the Ad-Hoc Band Plan Committee. I’m sure all comments will openly considered and discussed. Roll Eyes

From the pen of Harrison, a few months ago.

ARRL has conducted an open process of soliciting input regarding matters of importance to the Amateur Radio Service. That will continue prior to the submission of any proposals for future regulatory changes to improve the Amateur Radio Service.

As one of the 39 Member-Societies of IARU Region 2, the ARRL will, as always, continue to openly work to improve the Region 2 band planning process prior to the next conference and give its members ample opportunity to offer comments and suggestions. Members may provide input to their elected representative (identified on page 15 of QST), or to our Ad-hoc Band Plan Committee and e-mail address that was established in 2006 at bandplan@arrl.org."
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 08:58:51 PM »

Hmm. Seems Harrison previously claimed the committee was there to take input on the bandplan, not implement 11306 or something similarly ill conceived.

I don't see anywhere that he said that was their only function. And, from the first paragraph of the January 2008 Bandplan Committee Report: "The Ad Hoc Band Planning Committee was formed specifically for the purpose of supporting ARRL’s Regulation by Bandwidth Petition (RM-11306), which called for the FCC to establish a regulatory regime to segment bands by necessary bandwidth rather than by emission mode, and for developing a process for developing new band plans in anticipation of implementation of regulation by bandwidth in accordance with RM-11306" That was their initial task.

He’s more than a little delusional when he claims the ARRL conducted an open process. Feel free to send your comments to the Ad-Hoc Band Plan Committee. I’m sure all comments will openly considered and discussed. Roll Eyes

The ARRL solicited comments for approximately 15 months before RM-11306 was filed through their Division Directors and via an e-mail address that was available for members and non-members since around 2003 (bandwidth@arrl.org comes to mind). I'm sure if you sent your issues and concerns to the band-plan committee, on the current band-plan, or the IARU Region 2 band-plan, they would be considered in the same light (unless you were perceived as a wacko from past history or actions) as anyone else's issues and concerns.

ARRL has conducted an open process of soliciting input regarding matters of importance to the Amateur Radio Service. That will continue prior to the submission of any proposals for future regulatory changes to improve the Amateur Radio Service.

As one of the 39 Member-Societies of IARU Region 2, the ARRL will, as always, continue to openly work to improve the Region 2 band planning process prior to the next conference and give its members ample opportunity to offer comments and suggestions. Members may provide input to their elected representative (identified on page 15 of QST), or to our Ad-hoc Band Plan Committee and e-mail address that was established in 2006 at bandplan@arrl.org."

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 09:04:02 PM »

It takes a brave man indeed to represent the ARRL view point on this website! Grin

I always come prepared to the ARRL Forum:

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 09:56:52 PM »

Non-sequitur. Harrison's comment was referencing the IARU fiasco, not the 11306 fiasco.

Hmm. Seems Harrison previously claimed the committee was there to take input on the bandplan, not implement 11306 or something similarly ill conceived.

I don't see anywhere that he said that was their only function. And, from the first paragraph of the January 2008 Bandplan Committee Report: "The Ad Hoc Band Planning Committee was formed specifically for the purpose of supporting ARRL’s Regulation by Bandwidth Petition (RM-11306), which called for the FCC to establish a regulatory regime to segment bands by necessary bandwidth rather than by emission mode, and for developing a process for developing new band plans in anticipation of implementation of regulation by bandwidth in accordance with RM-11306" That was their initial task.

He’s more than a little delusional when he claims the ARRL conducted an open process. Feel free to send your comments to the Ad-Hoc Band Plan Committee. I’m sure all comments will openly considered and discussed. Roll Eyes

The ARRL solicited comments for approximately 15 months before RM-11306 was filed through their Division Directors and via an e-mail address that was available for members and non-members since around 2003 (bandwidth@arrl.org comes to mind). I'm sure if you sent your issues and concerns to the band-plan committee, on the current band-plan, or the IARU Region 2 band-plan, they would be considered in the same light (unless you were perceived as a wacko from past history or actions) as anyone else's issues and concerns.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015