The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:38:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ESE's Receiver Thread  (Read 34865 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2008, 10:30:22 AM »

Yes indeed - Slab is dead-on the money. PLENTY of stuff out there for less, far better than the HQ-100 too. That's like saying you can only afford a Halli S-40B for that price because someone got $400 for a clean one from someone who hadta have it.

One thing you will find on the 'net is no shortage of 'experts' when it comes to price/value, and "collectibility". Time after time I have found that many of these folks espouse exactly what you were told via email, based on prices they've seen on ebay or from some collector. They are certain that ebay prices reflect the market price, period. Fact of the matter is, it reflects only the highest price someone was willing to pay for that radio at that time.

So as Frank says and I eluded to earlier - being resourceful and patient is your ally. There is plenty of gear available for far less than $400-$500. Sometimes it needs work, sometimes it doesn't. But the broader market offers up a wide range of prices. Unless you're into pretty jpegs and gotta have it now, in which case you can expect to pay for the convenience of shopping online and bidding more than anyone else will. Wink

Not bashing ebay, either. It's just another tool in the arsenal. Mainly trying to add some perspective beyond the tunnel vision already proffered.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2008, 03:01:05 PM »

You can still find R-390s in the 2-300$ range.  There was a R-390 non-A that sold at the fall NearFest for a couple of bills.  Pretty decent shape, too.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA3VJB
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2008, 03:16:06 PM »

JT do you want to play with an HQ-100A for a while ?

I will loan you mine for the cost of insured packing and delivery, returned the same way.

It's not getting much use. My interests have changed toward the SP-600 and R-390A over the years since I picked it up, but, no, it's not for sale. I do intend to keep it paired with the Johnson Ranger that I also haven't gotten around to recently, as a portable AM station for parties, bat mitzvahs, etc.

Let me know.
N1ESE
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2008, 05:13:23 PM »

JT do you want to play with an HQ-100A for a while ?
Thanks, very much, for the offer but something like an HQ-100A really isn't anywhere close to being on my short list so it doesn't make sense for either one of us to go through the hassle of doing this.  If you were down the street, it'd work well to get me on the air now rather than waiting for the right receiver to come along but really not worth the expense of double shipping for me.  My transmitter can continue to patiently sit here waiting for me. Smiley

Someone just offered me a "mint" NC-300 for $350 I am thinking about but, at the moment, there are really only three rigs on my short list:

HRO-5TA1 or a Navy RAS-5 rack
R-390A
Super-Pro 400

An HRO-5 set is at P1 because I love black crackle and the WW II era. 

- JT
N1ESE
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2008, 10:07:24 PM »

I should probably add an SX-28 to my list considering how much I like black crackle. 

- JT
WA3VJB
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2008, 03:46:06 AM »

I should probably add an SX-28 to my list considering how much I like black crackle.

- JT

You and Derb both. Frank gets wood for black crackle too, I think.

Say, I found a recording made by Larry W8ER, who is very much a fan of the HQ110 and its general coverage sister the HQ100(A/C) like I've got.

He modifies the receivers to get rid of the audio shaping loudness compensator, and made this recording of me and Larry NE1S to demonstrate the audio quality.

So, maybe not rule that receiver out among those on your list, in case one comes along for an inexpensive price.
Liner notes: 7285Kc, February 2007, 11am EST. Was in a QSO where I was also monitoring the frequency via internet receivers, which can be heard in the background.

* HQ110.mp3 (865.31 KB - downloaded 227 times.)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2008, 07:56:14 AM »

Hmmmmm................. SX-28, now your talking!! that is a real mans radio!! However dont underestimate the little HQ-100s and 110s, with a little tweaking and tinkering, they can work pretty well!!

Actually, as much as I love my 28, I'm really not that big of a fan for black crackle. My real love is post-war through early 60s stuff. However..............there are always exceptions to the rule, and the SX-28 is timeless!
                                                                             The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
N1ESE
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2008, 08:51:32 AM »

Well, I've been informed via PM that SX-28's aren't black crackle.  Sure looks black in all the pics I've seen online.  Oh well.

- JT
N1ESE
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2008, 09:01:21 AM »

Paul, thanks for the audio file.  I do recall reading Larry's article over at AMwindow.  Good stuff.

- JT
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2008, 12:00:41 PM »

That's okay, JT - there are a lot of folks out there who think that the Collins A-Line gear is black wrinkle too, even though the black knobs stand out well against the St James gray. Always wondered how color-blind people see this old gear, andif it makes a difference how much they pay?  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »

Well, I've been informed via PM that SX-28's aren't black crackle.  Sure looks black in all the pics I've seen online.  Oh well.
- JT

Oh well, If you want to get down to the nitty-gritty 28's arent black. However many of them are so friggin dirty that one cant tell till after you scrub them up some.

The cabinet is a gray color somewhat close to Collins "ST James gray" and a "wrinkle" texture finish. The receiver's front panel is a dark blue-gray and is "krackle" textured, and all of the knobs, bezels, and escutcheons are shiny smooth bllack.

But who really gives a szht!! They are probably the best or at least one of the best pre-war receivers.
                                                                                            The Slab Bacon

N1ESE
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2008, 02:38:37 PM »

But who really gives a szht!! They are probably the best or at least one of the best pre-war receivers.

But very hard to work on, right?

- JT
N1ESE
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2008, 11:36:24 PM »

OOHHHH, the early Super Pros are black crackle finish.. I think I was confusing these with the SX-28.  Black crackle is definitely growing on me I must admit.

- JT
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2008, 10:24:01 AM »

But very hard to work on, right?

- JT

that depenz on who you are!! Some of us dont have any problem fixing them!! Grin Grin

"You gotta pay your dues, if you wanna sing the blues!!"

The Slab Bacon

N1ESE
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2008, 11:24:04 AM »

My $12.00 80M SoftRock Lite arrived today so I am going to build it up this weekend and will try a different crystal to move it up to the "ghetto" and see how she hears the AM locals.

- JT
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015