The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:36:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ESE's Receiver Thread  (Read 34589 times)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 08:42:13 AM »

Geeeezzzzeeee........................ Its a friggin shame he cant come down here and spend a couple of evenings. I have somewhere around 17 receivers he can test drive and get a real opinion. That would definately help cement an opinion. The best way to decide what you want in a receiver is to set in front of a few of them and try for yourself and generate your own opinion.

As I said before, If I had to limit myself to one and only one single receiver, It would be a souped up R-390a with an outboard audio amp.

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
N1ESE
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 09:29:38 AM »

Its a friggin shame he cant come down here and spend a couple of evenings. I have somewhere around 17 receivers he can test drive and get a real opinion.

Is this an invite Frank?  A bus ride down there wouldn't be so bad.

- JT
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2008, 09:46:26 AM »

You wouldnt be the first. there have been many "guest ops" here over the years.

N1ESE
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008, 10:17:32 AM »

More thinking and rambling out loud from me..

I was just thinking that an R-4B, which are quite plentiful @ reasonable prices, paired up with a SoftRock Lite might be a pretty slick little combo.

- JT
N1ESE
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 11:00:25 AM »

NE1S says I should give George Rancourt a call and see if he has any R-390A's for sale.  George lives about 2 hours from me.

- JT
N1ESE
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2008, 02:02:36 PM »

Are all of the Collins 75A-* rigs of the same design?  Such as the 75A-2 and 75A-4?  I know the 75A-4 has some serious faults but does the same hold true for other 75A models?

- JT
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2008, 02:32:50 PM »

Not at all. Only the 75A-2/3 are similar (pretty much the same), and the 75A-1 lacks 160 but has a cool dial. It's my favorite of the line, but sadly has a passband of roughly 4kc/s.

The 75A-4 only has serious faults if you think of it as a receiver built for AM. It's not, never was. It was built to be the premier SSB receiver of the day. Even on AM, it's tough to beat in 'battle mode' conditions or when someone appears and decides to trash a QSO. The mechanical filters along with the passband tuning let you literally move around and away from the noise. But the audio isn't what you'd call 'great', especially with mechanical filters. It can be good, even decent if you use a wider (8-9 kc/s) filter, but nothing more.

Collins receivers are the perfect example of an excellent communications receiver: designed for reliable, high performance in receiving signals, but not designed for high fidelity. Aside from the few pre- and post-war Hallis, Hammars, and Nationals with push-pull audio, other manufacturers seem to have gone the 'communications' route since that, not entertainment, was the intent. Considering the cost of a hi-fi audio section over a large production run, it makes sense.

John and others are right: best bang for the buck is an old Super Pro. Many around, and they are generally cheap. SX-28s are nice too, but bring much higher prices overall. But if it's a one receiver-only choice, the original R-390 or later A model are tough to beat - especially with outboard audio.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
N1ESE
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2008, 03:08:26 PM »

Thanks Todd

I should probably just take Franks, and others, advice and just hold out for a 390A as my primary receiver and then I can slowly add to my "collection" some of these other radios to experiment with.  I need to find someone local (within an couple hours) with a R-390A that I could go play with for a little bit.

The question remaining is, what is an R-390A going to run me?

- JT
W1UJR
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2008, 03:17:23 PM »

Thanks Todd

I should probably just take Franks, and others, advice and just hold out for a 390A as my primary receiver and then I can slowly add to my "collection" some of these other radios to experiment with.  I need to find someone local (within an couple hours) with a R-390A that I could go play with for a little bit.

- JT

Larry's right, nothing like an R-390A for bulletproof RX.
They are rock stable, have decent com quality audio which can be jazzed up if that's your gig.
Also continuous coverage from the AM broadcast band until 30 Mc.
Wonderful to work on, with excellent military manuals, plenty of parts available via Fair Radio and others.
Fair Radio no longer has complete units, but here is a link to their 390A parts page --> http://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php?mode=view&categoryid=161

As Larry mentioned, George Rancourt is the man for a used 390A, and a gentleman as well, see what he has.
At one point he had a stack from the Saint Julians creek stash, and was selling them at HossTraders.
Not sure what he has left, but you might get lucky.

The cost of 390A does vary, from parts type/major restoration cases for a few hundred dollars, to the pristine "gee whiz" models for well over a kilobuck. You should be able to find a nice working example in the $300-600 price point if you shop around a bit.

Todd's right on with the Collins gear, while very nicely built, chances are it won't sound or preform much better than a good R390A.
I personally like the 75A4, even on AM, with the correct filters, its a good all-around RX, if you understand what it was designed for.
But for the price of a clean A4, you can find a minty 390A.

Don't overlook the older National HRO series, rock stable, very buzzardly looking, and quite sensitive.
Hot and stable enough that the US and British military used them as signal intercept sets during WWII.
I do most of my own broadcast and amateur monitoring on a 1930s era HRO.
My preference is for the early units, the HRO Jr, Sr. 5 and 7 series with the outboard power supply.
The later 50 and 60 series are nice units, but often have power xformer issues, and in my taste have lost the buzzardly radio persona.
The only thing with the HRO line is they require multiple coil sets for full coverage, if you can find a clean and complete unit with coils, snag it.
Here is an excellent article by a friend of mine on the HRO series --> http://www.io.com/~nielw/HRO_BarryWilliams/HROArticle.htm

Email me off list if you have any questions, happy to help.

N1ESE
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2008, 04:13:07 PM »

Thanks Bruce, I'll give George a buzz next week.

- JT
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2008, 06:58:10 PM »

I was just thinking that an R-4B, which are quite plentiful @ reasonable prices, paired up with a SoftRock Lite might be a pretty slick little combo.

I'LL letcha know in a few weeks JT. I'm setting up to do just that. Well... sorta... R4A w/ SR lite !!
W1TAV
Contributing

The Glow of Wood and Radios

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2008, 07:02:08 PM »

Steve,

FWT...  My "best" sounding receiver is the Hummarlaund HQ-160. When I want to operate "battle mode" the HQ-170A was very good however the the audio was absolutely pitiful. 

My current operating position receivers are the HQ-160 and National-300. I also have a Collins 75s-1 in position other then to e able to say I have a Collins, I have little good to say about that receiver.   

The SX-101 was my first BA receiver when I got back on the air a few years ago. I still have it. It had good sound and reasonable selectivity. I also have a HRO-60  that sounds out standing and is reasonably selective If you don't mind changing the coils. I think it is neat looking and is slated for living room duty.

As for speakers, I just scored some managers specials at Radio Shack $14.95 for a pair of 8X10 book case types.

Bottom line if I could only have one receivers, My Collins 75A-3 would be my choice. To bad I sold back about 1988 or so!

Best Regards,

Steve - W1TAV - Check out my HQ's on QRZ

Steve - W1TAV
N1ESE
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2008, 07:14:09 PM »

Steve, FB on your HQ's.. thanks for your input.  I just had another guy email me with a HQ-170A he wants to sell me.  Weird.  It is in very clean, original, condition as well.  Hmm.

WD8BIL, keep us posted!  That sounds fun.

- JT
n1ps
Contributing

websdr http://sebagolakesdr.us:8901/

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2008, 08:38:18 PM »

Some thoughts on what I have read in this thread.  High fidelity is largely a subjective thing to a given ear.  For example I discovered I have a top end of 9 KC (which is another possible discussion), so 20KC would be a waste with these old ears (brain?). 

Having said that, certainly a good speaker that can reproduce a flat response from DC to 15KC is a good start, but probably not really necessary.  I happen to use a couple old speakers built by Hallicrafters, the Chevy of 50s radio. 

I have both an SX-28 and an SP-400 (amongst others).  I love both receivers, but tend to prefer the 400 because of that neat feature of variable bandwidth.  Which brings me to the next subject.  Sometimes you just don't want 20KC bandwidth.  For example, you've got slopbucketeers 5 KC up and another AM QSO 10KC below you on any given day/night.  At high bandwidth, it is un-listenable.  So you reduce bandwidth and accept the reduced fidelity.

As to improved detectors, this can help.  I have yet to actually listen to a comparison between a standard envelope detector and one of the newish high tech detector like Steve describes.  I'm sure the latter is a great improvement to the former, but my ears accept the former too.  I would like to experiment with the latter though...

So I guess what I'm saying is don't sweat it.  I would recommend that you get a receiver that CAN listen to high bandwidth and can also reproduce the audio with lower distortion such as a push-pull audio output.  I went so far as to change some receivers from single ended to P-P.  Don't forget you can also improve audio in a single ended stage by adding neg feedback (see SP-600 mods for example).  This reminds me, why did Hammarlund make such a great receiver and not use P-P? 

Hope this makes sense...but probably doesn't.

Pete
N-!-Power-Supply
N1ESE
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2008, 08:51:52 PM »

Gotcha Pete, thanks for your input.  Maine sure has some great AMers, I need to get up there to the Wiscasset and Standish areas and visit both you and Bruce.  Definitely some fun toys I'd like to check out.  Only two hours (ish) from here and I love the Wiscasset area where Bruce is.. haven't been there in 15 years though.

- JT

W8EJO

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2008, 08:55:18 PM »

More thinking and rambling out loud from me..

- JT

My 2 cents:
I love my R4B. It is my go to receiver.  
R4A & R4 are nearly identical. Even though the AM filter is only 4.8KC wide it has very gentle roll off making for very good (not HiFi) fidelity on AM. The Pass Band Tuning works great. It's the least fatiguing radio I own. Easy to listen too all day, tuning the bands doesn't wear you out & you know right where you are at all times.
I also currently own a Hammarlund SP210X, HQ160,  National HRO60, HRO50, Collins KWM2, & since 1959 have owned R390A, 75A3, R388, SX117, SX115, SX100, SX122, SX101, HQ100, HQ110, R4A, R4C & many others I have forgotten.

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
W1UJR
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2008, 01:47:08 PM »

For 'dat really "hi-fi" sound, 'dis is what you really need!  Grin

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2008, 02:18:07 PM »

The picture is really to dark to make out much of anything, except for some signs on the wall, the hand, and the key.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1UJR
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2008, 02:52:19 PM »

Yes!

The song of the spark, really early "hi-fi"!
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2008, 05:25:27 PM »

In my opinion, if you've got the money up front, you can't go wrong with the R-390 sets. Excellent all-around receivers, can be made better audio-wise easily. A good one just tends to run a fair amount more than a decent SP-200.

If you beat the bushes and look around, you can find a good, complete example for $200-$300 most likely. Can't remember what I paid for the EAC I picked up 2-3 years back, working with meters, $200-$250 I think. There are a lot of them out there, ebay is probably the most expensive place to find one. Expect to pay at least $400 - $500 as an average price for a good, complete unit possibly needing some attention. More if you're in a hurry and want it *now*, and a lot more if you want it 'done'.

As far as George's stash goes, I'm pretty sure he sold it off to a mutual acquaintance in Texas last year. Can't remember how many, 30-40 receivers mostly As with a few R-390s mixed in. However, if he doesn't have any available, chances are he knows someone who does. I'm currently working with him on his NEAR-Fest R-390A forum for May (did you make the one in October?), so if you're serious about finding one now drop me a PM or email me at my callsign at gmail and I'll hook you two up.

Whatever the case, if you decide to get one, George is the man here in the northeast to chat with about the R-390 family of receivers. Knows his stuff, has the experience, and is a helluva good guy to boot!  In fact, he bought my last excess R-390 maybe 10 years ago, delivered it to him at Hosstraders in the fall. H-E-A-V-Y!   Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
N1ESE
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2008, 05:30:57 PM »

I'm currently working with him on his NEAR-Fest R-390A forum for May (did you make the one in October?), so if you're serious about finding one now drop me a PM or email me at my callsign at gmail and I'll hook you two up.

Negative, I didn't get bit by the AM bug until a month or so after the last NEAR-fest so I only spent about an hour and a half at the fester this past fall.  I'm bringing the tent for this Spring though.  Cool

Thanks

- JT
N1ESE
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2008, 07:25:06 PM »

Well, I finally bought my receiver!!   Cool

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170194476597

I wonder where this ranks on Slab's and Johnny's guides.     Grin

- JT
ka3zlr
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2008, 07:47:37 PM »

LOL....Nice one...

In all seriousness though, Today...the old receivers are nice to bring in rebuild put into some use..even build a decent regen and enjoy that....but the Smart money is in some of these newer designs the guys have been discussing on here IMO, but it's just an opinion after many years rebuilding and modifying on my part...I like some of these newer computer adaptive circuits...
N1ESE
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2008, 07:54:40 PM »

ZLR: I'm a "youngster" so I agree, I was born well into the solid state age.  I do have a couple SDR toys on the way, and a Class-E rig on the bench, to play with as well.   But I still want to play with some BA's for awhile. Smiley

VGB: I may have lost my mind, yeah, but not as bad as this dude who just emailed me from the AM reflector.  OM says the only rig I can afford with a $350 to $400 budget is an HQ-100 and, if I increased my budget to $500, other receivers would start to become available.  OK, RGR that OM.. off the the trash can you go, thank you.

- JT
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2008, 09:06:45 AM »

If one wants to do a little hamfest shopping, there are still a lot of really nice receivers that can be had for $350 or less if one is willing to do a little repair work.

tell your OM buddy he is full of szht! I have seen many HQ-100s for $100 or less. Lately, I have seen quite a few older super pros at very reasonable prices. Patience is a definate virtue in these situations!! If you are in a hell bent hurry to find something you will probably get phuqued!! So be patient!!

the Slab Bacon

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015