The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:37:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hammarlund HQ-170A(C) vs. HQ-170  (Read 49675 times)
N1ESE
« on: February 16, 2008, 04:08:28 PM »

What is the difference between an HQ-170 and a HQ-170A?  Does anyone have an HQ-170A and actually like it?   Tongue   Johnny and Slab Bacon don't always agree, but in the case of the non-A HQ-170, they pretty much both have the same complaints with it.  Does the -A model correct any of their complaints.

Someone on the AM reflector has offered to sell me an HQ-170A(C) (I know the C has the clock option) but I am a bit apprehensive after reading both Johnny's and Slab's reviews.  It looks to be in excellent condition though based on the pic and the OM says it works great.

Thanks

- JT
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 04:29:01 PM »

The "A" at least means it is newer, and you're right about the "C."

Not sure if the straight 170 could be configured for VHF, but I see that option associated with the "A."

For AM the receiver is a loser, in my experience.  Inadequate choices for selectivity, and there is a loudness compensation curve in the audio that makes things worse. Those factors are the same in both models.

Some people find them useful for CW, so perhaps it will boil down to your intended use.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3807

If you have your heart set on a Hammarlund of this style, I highly recommend the HQ100AC.  Have one, love it.
N1ESE
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 04:34:47 PM »

Thanks Paul, my heart isn't set on any particular manufacturer.  I have some basic needs listed in my post in the Wanted forum.  Intended use is AM only for the most part.  Someone just emailed me in reply to my post mentioning he had this nice 170A(C) and I'm just trying to research it more.  It's really beginning to look like this may not be the receiver for me though.

Thanks again.

- JT
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 04:48:18 PM »

Hammarlund issued several factory bulletins on the HQ-170. These were all incorporated into the  HQ-170A. The 170A also had a solid-state rectifier, cabinet had flip open lid on top. a 2 meter dial scale, and I believe the oscillator and 1st mixer filaments were always powered as soon as you plugged it in. The receivers were designed primarily as operators transitioned to SSB. AM operation was probably less of a consideration. 6 meters was terrible on both models. The HQ-170A-VHF made up for the poor operation on 6 meters in the earlier models by adding a preamp and also a 2 meter converter. I've had a HQ-170A-VHF for about 35 years. It's a great performer over all, but not the greatest for AM audio quality.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
N1ESE
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 05:59:04 PM »

Thanks Pete and Paul (and Mary too)!  Based on what you two have told me along with Slab and Johnny, this is clearly not the right receiver for me so I thanked the OM for his offer and said I'd have to pass.

- JT
N1ESE
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 06:06:52 PM »

Of course you could hang a SoftRock IF rcvr on the IF output and cure it's problems!
True, but it's a pretty big buzzard of a pile to hang the SoftRock off of. Grin   It's not like INR enhancing his R-390A.  Price the guy was asking simply doesn't justify it.  I can likely get a better rig more suited for my needs for the same price.

- JT
N1ESE
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 06:21:55 PM »

Hamfests should yield a lot of choices in that range.
Yeah, but the hamfest (NEAR-fest) where I'd have the most luck is still 75 days away.  We don't really have hamfests up here like we used to.. especially in winter.  I'm getting impatient sitting on the sidelines especially now that I have a decent plate modulated rig ready to rock!

- JT
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 09:05:39 AM »

the 170A was definately much more oriented for SSB use. Paul and Pete pretty much covered it except for one other major improvement that definately showed its orientation for slopbucket use. The 170A had a fixed crapstal controled BFO.

A 170 is a fantastic "battle conditions" receiver and a great addition to anyone's arsonal of tricks. However, not a good choice if you are only going to have 1 receiver. You can often find them pretty reasonably at hamfests.

If you want a "Gray Faced" Hammarlund, the one I like the best from that line is an
HQ-160. Cut 1 wire to disable the "auto response" circuit and they make a pretty good receiver.

I have added a few more receivers to my collection since writing that article. I just have to sit down and update it.

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
N1ESE
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 09:29:03 AM »

Thanks, as always, for the input Slab.  I likely see myself having multiple receivers one day where the 170 would fit in but, for right now, I have a more immediate need for a mostly AM oriented receiver so I will keep looking and pass on this. 

- JT
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 02:59:04 PM »

the 170A was definately much more oriented for SSB use. Paul and Pete pretty much covered it except for one other major improvement that definately showed its orientation for slopbucket use. The 170A had a fixed crapstal controled BFO.

The Slab Bacon

There are only two crystals in the HQ-170 and 170A. One is for the 100 KHz calibrator and the other is in the 2nd converter. The BFO is not crystal controlled in either receiver.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 08:03:44 PM »

Pete,
         FWIW, the "A" model does not have the ability to change the BFO's frequency when you are in the SSB mode.  The "Pitch" control does nothing on the "A" model when you are in the USB or LSB modes. When in SSB the beat oscilator is fixed.  I have a plain 170    (non A)  and my BFO will adjust in the sideband modes. My buddies 170A, you cannot vary the beat frequency when in either of the ssb modes. I didnt look under the chassis, but  I assumed that it was crapstal, as the bfo was absolutely rock stable.

I only have a manwell for the non "A" model here. If you have a manwell for the "A" do me a favor and look at the BFO circuit. It has to have crapstals, or seporate L/C networks for the "CW, "USB, and "LSB" modes. You have now stimulated my curiosity.

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
N1ESE
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 08:11:57 PM »

Link removed, full schematic and manual I originally snipped the circuit from for Slab's review is available on BAMA.  The clip is no longer available on my site.

- JT
k3sqp

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 09:29:29 AM »

Pete is spot on in the differnces between 170 and 170A. I have a 170A on the bench right now
and it needs 455kc If  cans. The  "virtual" capacitorss in the base of the can have deteriorated.
I know I can "re-do" the cans and replace these caps but would like to just replace them. Anyone have
any source for Ktrans 455 kc cans.
Frank
K3  SQP

hAM radio, The future is in the past...
N1KK

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 06:35:18 AM »

I have a 170 and 170A.   Just recently picked them up. 
One thing I noticed is the 170A does not have the same audio
frequency response as the 170.   The 170A lacks the high frequency
response.  Where there any audio mods to boost the highs?

Would anyone know of a cheap source of 100KHz crystals for the calibrator.
I need one for the 170. 

Thanks
Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015