The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 01:36:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: yay! I get to stay home and work on stuff all day!  (Read 6836 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: February 13, 2008, 06:40:53 AM »

I love ice storms.  Smiley
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 08:04:49 AM »

So do I but they can be nasty munkys.
Woke up at @ 4AM with no power. Ice took out a 7 inch oak limb and it landed on the power drop from 50 feet. House was 55 degrees.
Fired up the 5KW fossil fuel burning generator and called the power company. They was re-stringing the lines as I left for work.

But things sure looked pretty all iced up. Even the dipolios !!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 10:24:26 AM »

I'll take 10 ft. of snow any day over an ice storm.  The  latter tends to cause power outages, tear down antennas, rip limbs off trees and blockade the road with tree debris.  The last major ice storm here was 10 or 15 years ago, and you can still see the damage it did to the trees.  I  remember waking up early that morning and outside it sounded like what a Civil War battlefield must have sounded like with the constant crackling sound of tree limbs breaking off and hitting the ground.

I always looked forward to a good snow, which round here brings everything to a screeching halt, even a half-inch dusting, since we don't get it often enough to make the investment in snow removal equipment worthwhile, and most people haven't a clue how to drive over snow.  Back in the 60's they started  salting the roads here; before then they just used a road grader to clear the main arteries. Car bodies didn't rust out.

I would chuckle at the people who would get uptight over a snow day.  "Oh my God, I can't get to work, how terrible, piss 'n moan, piss 'n moan..."  Me, I preferred to just lay back, enjoy a hot cup of coffee or tea, and use my day off to play radio or work on some project that otherwise I never had time to complete.  I never worried about it because I knew the rat-race would still be there intact once the snow melted.

But we don't get many good snows any more.  Haven't for about a decade.  Also, we could once expect about 3 days of sub zero temperatures every winter.  The coldest I ever remember seeing here was -18° F.  The record is supposed to be -20° F.  I haven't seen it even get down to zero for at least 10 years.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 11:37:33 AM »

I normally have to go into work with my wife, either that or go down to my dad's house for 2 days. Either way I miss a lot of bench time.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 01:45:06 PM »

" I always looked forward to a good snow, which round here brings everything to a screeching halt. "

Come to the great white north.... In Menetto,  NY, (Oswego County)
they had 4 feet in 12 hours last Sunday...   klc

What? Me worry?
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 03:59:29 PM »

my ex wife moved to Watertown when we split. I know all about the snow up therez.  Tongue
W2JBL

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 09:39:03 PM »

all that snow blowing in off the lake onto Watertown just gives it a nice dusting. it continues to blow eastward until it hits my mountain in Old Forge and lands in a huge pile. that's why my house up there is not acessable in the winter. if you can get to the road in, you are doing good. if you can get to the end of the pavement and the beginning of the road up the mountain you are doing really good. if you get to the end of the dirt road and can find the trail you are  close. stop there and look up the mountain at the house...utter a four letter word and curse about forgetting the snowshoes and drive back to town to the bar...screwed again by the mountain. the mountain ALLWAYS wins.
AF9J
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 09:44:39 PM »

I should be so lucky. Lessee - last week Wednesday, we had a blizzard.  The place I work at was shut down at 1 PM by the blizzard.  My 25 minute drive home, took an hour. I so loved the whiteout conditions.  We got 16 inches of snow with 40 mph winds.  

For this winter alone, we already have almost 7 feet of snow (and we're supposed to get another 3 to 6 inches tomorrow).  Since I've lived relatively close to Lake Michigan, for most of my life, I've had to deal with the same thing people in Buffalo, NY and Cleveland, OH have to deal with - lake effect snow (although, only when the winds swirl in around low pressure cells, from the east).  By Friday morning, it's supposed to be below zero, for about the dozenth time this winter.  The coldest winter I can remember - Winter 1995 & 96.  We had a blizzard in the 2nd week of January 1996.  The winds came screaming in from the northwest after the blizzard, and we spent the next 2 weeks at 20 to 25 below zero, with 60 to 80 below wind chills. THAT was nasty.  I will say this, this winter has been harsher by far, than the past few winters.  And to add insult to injury, the cold air cranks up my powerline noise.  Ugh!

Ellen - AF9J
From the frozen tundra of Wisconsin
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 11:09:09 PM »

How many north eastern guys remember the Blizzard of '78??  I remember my dad had to sleep in Boston, He was a postal worker and couldn't get home for a couple days. We had snow up to the front porch roof, and no power for a week.  Mom got creative and put the consumables in the snowbank outside the back door. Then got mad cause the eggs froze.  Dad eventually got home riding a plow truck from where he left his car.  the kids had no school for that week...  it was one of the very few times I remember they had built a fire in the fireplace. 

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 11:50:32 PM »

'66  was THE blizzard that I remember ...  klc

What? Me worry?
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 08:38:03 AM »

A light coating of ice in suburban Virginia on I-95 (Todd KAQ's favorite Springfield interchange  Grin ) led to an 8-hour commute home Tues nite for some.  For me, it was an extra 15 minutes due to everyone driving 45 MPH rather than 70 on I-270.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 10:48:09 AM »

Yeah, reading all this, I have to say I'm very fortunate. I used to live in N. Pa., western NYS area and have to say, most snows are a heck of a lot more benign 'down' here in WVa. 

First thing they told me 'up north' was, "don't travel on any north/south roads in the winter if you can avoid it."  Every dip was filled and blind in a white out. The wind never quits from east to west so winter was pretty much a constant whiteout.

Biggest laugh (at me) I've every gotten was when I called the dune preservation fencing at Nags Head 'snow fence.'
Guy looked at me like I was a real Yankee hick.   Little did he know...     The north uses about 100 times the lattice fencing that NC ever thought of.  Looks like Y'all know what I mean.

Oh yeah, and, "don't drive a white car," was another favorite.
So glad to be back in WVa.,

(born and raised three blocks from birthplace of Stonewall.)

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015