The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:54:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2008 Annual Board Minutes Published  (Read 32824 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008, 05:53:19 PM »

Pete,

You said: "it makes no sense for them to acknowledge it in a public document".

"them" - I'm only talking about the ARRL Directors

Aren't the resolutions of the IARU public documents?  Aren't documents like the IARU Region 2 bandplan public documents upon which the ARRL provides input and a vote of approval or disapproval?

As I read it, the ARRL, as an IARU member society, has an obligation to represent all US amateurs, regardless of ARRL membership status, in matters before the IARU.

How can the ARRL fulfill that obligation and represent non-members if they don't "officially" take input from them?

From Paul's post, Item 1:
"...member Societies to represent adequately the interests of radio amateurs throughout their country or separate territory."

It doesn't say "all". And I said, Directors should not acknowledge nonmember input in public documents. If the ARRL spokesperson at IARU meetings want to acknowledge both member and nonmember input, I have no issue with that. That spokesperson is not one of the 15 Directors.

When the ARRL Regulation by Bandwidth proposal was in its infancy, the ARRL set up an e-mail address where inputs from both members and nonmembers could be sent.

As an ARRL member, I would not generally want nonmember inputs to be "highlighted" or "blessed as gospel" in public forums or public texts. By default, even if the nonmember input was the greatest proposal we've ever heard, it becomes "member input" in public text or forum.

During the Comment process for any ARRL proposal submitted to the FCC, both member and nonmember comments become a matter of public viewing.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2008, 07:35:39 PM »

Says who? I see nothing in the IARU docs that says this.

Where they screw up, and are subject to being spanked, is when they constrain those requests for input to subscribers only, or declare that their positions at the IARU table are from subscriber input, to the implied exclusion of those who have not paid fees.

All that is required to replace the ARRL as the U.S. rep with the IARU & ITU is an organization with a larger number of licensed amateurs as members. Anybody got one of those in their pockets?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2008, 08:01:52 PM »

If you pay my way, I'll go to the next IARU boondoggl..... err uh I mean conference to represent the AMers.
ka3zlr
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2008, 05:20:31 AM »

Like any Monopoly it does very well, I don't have any problem with the day to day  functions..the web page...the QSL clearing house... Education facilities..all the original conceptual business aspects work very well as designed..Not A Problem...Not one Problem...Do I have and I'm thankful and have used down through the years...

But there's a Springboard effect attached and has at times been used to further agenda..like any bureaucracy, entitlement wreckage...I have issues with that...oh well...maybe a change in policy should be called for..change is a good thing....

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015