The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:42:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2008 Annual Board Minutes Published  (Read 32634 times)
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« on: January 28, 2008, 04:44:22 PM »

Annual Board Meeting January 18 and 19, 2008
The 2008 Annual Board Minutes have been published and can be viewed in its entirety at:

http://www.arrl.org/announce/board-0801/

Two relevant items are:

"34. Proceeding to Directors' motions, on motion of Mr. Edgar, seconded by Mr. Leggette, it was VOTED that the ARRL Board of Directors affirms its support for the retention of double-sideband AM as a permitted emission in the Amateur Radio Service."

"40. On motion of Mr. Frenaye, seconded by Mr. Norton, it was VOTED that the following resolution be adopted:
WHEREAS, in January 2001 the ARRL Board of Directors created an ad hoc committee to solicit membership input on the band plan for 160 meters and to provide recommendations for any changes to the Board; and
WHEREAS, the committee received comments from hundreds of radio amateurs and crafted recommendations based on those comments; and
WHEREAS, the Board adopted these recommendations at its July 2001 meeting; and
WHEREAS, the resulting voluntary band plan is well accepted by radio amateurs throughout the United States and is observed with only occasional exceptions; and
WHEREAS, there is no reason to consider further revisions to the band plan for 160 meters at this time;
NOW, THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED by the ARRL Board of Directors in its meeting assembled, Houston, Texas, January 2008, that the ARRL band plan for 160 meters as adopted in July 2001 is hereby reaffirmed without change. "

- - - -

I would like to note that the IARU region 2 bandplan still does not include normal bandwidth AM for 160 and 15 meters.

No mention of the IARU Region 2 bandplan reactions.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 05:13:22 PM »

The cover story on their home page does state:

To address members' concerns arising from a new IARU Region 2 HF band plan, the Board affirmed its support for the retention of Double-Sideband AM as a permitted emission in the Amateur Radio Service and reaffirmed, without change, the 160 meter band plan as previously adopted by the Board in July 2001.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 06:10:40 PM »

The cover story on their home page does state:

To address members' concerns arising from a new IARU Region 2 HF band plan, the Board affirmed its support for the retention of Double-Sideband AM as a permitted emission in the Amateur Radio Service and reaffirmed, without change, the 160 meter band plan as previously adopted by the Board in July 2001.

That's good to see.
But what about the concerns of non-ARRL members, then, and in the future?
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 07:05:20 PM »

^^ They don't care, as they pointed out to me.

Still, it's good to see that our message was heard 5X9 and the episode engendered a positive response.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA3VJB
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 07:08:15 PM »

But what about the concerns of non-ARRL members, then, and in the future?

That's right Bill, according to the IARU Region 2 Charter, affirmed by the general IARU charter, member societies are designated to represent all licensees of a given country.

The League's wording appears to violate those provisions by specifically constraining its representation to just 25 percent of U.S. licensees, or those who are paying subscription dues to the ARRL.

Is that an actionable offense to have the League decertified as the representative club for the U.S. ?

If anyone on here can obtain an answer to explain the League's wording, I would like to see it published.

If anyone wants to pursue having the ARRL investigated for failure to perform to the standards set by the IARU, be my guest. Take good notes.
ka3zlr
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 08:11:52 PM »

It's Reads like Parliament, all that's missing is the little guy with the Hat and Cane to bang on the ground when the Nobles are entering the room..

Why is it that the "Directors affirms it's support" why don't they just recognize AM as a Viable and Equal Mode within the recognized Set and Put it to Rest...Quit the Analogies...

Sheeze....

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 09:38:23 PM »

To address members' concerns arising from a new IARU Region 2 HF band plan, the Board affirmed its support ...

The Board of Directors are elected by the ARRL membership in their respective Divisions. So, generally, the major input they receive is from ARRL members. They owe their allegiance to the ARRL members in their Division and the acknowledgment of their input. I see no reason for them to acknowledge any non-member inputs. Personally I don't believe in free rides. On the other hand, if Sumner or one of the other Executives wanted to acknowledge all amateur inputs from both members and non-members, I have no problem with that.

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 10:04:27 PM »

"
They owe their allegiance to the ARRL members in their Division and the acknowledgment of their input. I see no reason for them to acknowledge any non-member inputs. "

This is true. But then, the non-ARRL members don't have any 'need' to acknowledge said voluntary bandplan.....

BTW, I ( we ) get QST in the mail, just like gud budy Paul  .... ..             klc

What? Me worry?
ka3zlr
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 05:49:51 AM »

Set and Sub Set logic, activities negating a positive for the greater good. I dunno...

All I see is more Division across the board....If you Claim speech for the many You have to recognize the many...who's getting the Free ride here...

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 08:53:57 AM »

Quote from: ARRL Website
ARRL's structure divides the United States into 15 ARRL Divisions. Every three years the ARRL full members in each of these Divisions elect a Director and a Vice Director to represent them on the League's Board of Directors. The Board determines the policies of the League, which are carried out by the Headquarters staff. A Director's function is principally policymaking at the highest level. Each division's Director and Vice Director represent their Division on ARRL policy matters. If you have a question or comment about League policies, contact your representatives at the addresses shown below.

This statement implies that anyone can contact their Division Director.  When I did so, it was succinctly pointed out that they aren't interested in opinions from non-members, and non-members do not even deserve a response.  Their non-constructive attitude certainly does not engender positive feelings towards them, and certainly makes me feel *less* inclined to join an organization purported to represent all of amateur radio while, in reality, actively discouraging discourse from non-members (many of whom might have good opinions and ideas!).

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 10:16:14 AM »

Same thing that has happened to me repeatedly, John. Usually with a recommendation that I join the ARRL if I'm that concerned.

Always struck me odd that they can claim to represent all amateurs, yet only have accountability to the select few who pay for the privilege.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 11:37:44 AM »

Quote from: ARRL Website
In addition, [color-red]ARRL represents US amateurs [/color] with the Federal Communications Commission and other government agencies in the US and abroad.

This statement sez it all.  Because they do not differentiate between members and non-members, should they not accept views from non-members without holding them hostage for a magazine subscription?

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 11:48:16 AM »

Not to pick a nit, but the statement says they represent US amateurs. They did not say ALL US amateurs. They do represent US amateurs, but the fact that it's a small minority of US amateurs is conveniently left out. Shocked
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 11:53:17 AM »

THen I guess I could truthfully make the same statement.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 12:03:49 PM »

Bingo!

THen I guess I could truthfully make the same statement.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 12:40:11 PM »

To address members' concerns arising from a new IARU Region 2 HF band plan, the Board affirmed its support ...

The Board of Directors are elected by the ARRL membership in their respective Divisions. So, generally, the major input they receive is from ARRL members. They owe their allegiance to the ARRL members in their Division and the acknowledgment of their input. I see no reason for them to acknowledge any non-member inputs. Personally I don't believe in free rides. On the other hand, if Sumner or one of the other Executives wanted to acknowledge all amateur inputs from both members and non-members, I have no problem with that.

What is the nature of the "Free Ride" I am supposedly receiving as a non-ARRL member, Pete?

I've earned everything that I've achieved.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 01:26:02 PM »

What is the nature of the "Free Ride" I am supposedly receiving as a non-ARRL member, Pete?

I've earned everything that I've achieved.

The "free ride" I was referred to was in Director's acknowledging non-member inputs. Non-members didn't vote him into office, members did. The Directors are members voices at the Board meetings. Members support the organization. No non-member input should ever be acknowledged by a Director in a news text. It would undermine the membership base.

WA3VJB
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 01:37:28 PM »

No non-member input should ever be acknowledged by a Director in a news text. It would undermine the membership base.

The above statement, when implemented, undermines the responsibility of any club designated to represent the licensees of a given IARU country, regardless of their status as subscribers.

RESOLUTION 93-3
concerning effective representation of radio amateurs
            The IARU Administrative Council, Brussels, September 1993, noting 

1. the constitutional obligation of all member Societies to represent adequately the interests of radio amateurs throughout their country or separate territory,

2. that in some countries there are radio amateurs who are members of other groups,

3. that to promote and defend the interests of radio amateurs throughout the world at international telecommunications conferences it is necessary for the IARU to speak on behalf of all radio amateurs, and

4. that it is desirable to have a common voice speak on behalf of radio amateurs to each administration,

resolves 

1. to draw the attention of the regional organizations to the fact that for member Societies to meet their constitutional obligations, they should pass to such other groups adequate information as to the actions of the IARU and encourage such groups to respond to them in respect of IARU matters, and

2. to invite the regional organizations to take such action in respect thereof as is appropriate.

Source: http://www.iaru.org/ac-respol.html
K4QE
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 01:49:22 PM »

So, I interpret the IARU resolution to mean, in this case, that the ARRL is not obligated to listen to non-members with regard to strictly ARRL matters, but it IS obligated to listen with regard to IARU matters, vis-a-vis the IARU bandplan.

Did I misinterpret that?

73, Tony K4QE
WA3VJB
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 01:57:14 PM »

To "listen" might be too much to expect in any matter. 

But a club that serves as a "member society" must to show the function of being receptive to hearing from those outside the subscriber base. That can mean anything, including standard ARRL statements of having asked for input on IARU matters.

Where they screw up, and are subject to being spanked, is when they constrain those requests for input to subscribers only, or declare that their positions at the IARU table are from subscriber input, to the implied exclusion of those who have not paid fees.

They've done that many times.

Such statements are a direct failure to comply with the resolution I cited.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 03:54:55 PM »

In my area, all the ARRL guys are very easy to communicate with via email or in person at hamfests. I've never had one of them even bring up the issue of me not being a member.

At the national level my emails get ignored, I never expected anything else.

This is also true in my Division. Our Director and Vice-Director will talk to anyone. Having heard both in one on one and group discussions, the issue or of member/non-member never comes up with them unless one of the other participants brings it up but it generally has no bearing on the issue being discussed.

In my opinion, in the ARRL News article mentioned in an earlier post, "Directors" and "member's input" go hand in hand in the summation. Directors don't represent nonmembers; why should they acknowledge their input even if it was given.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2008, 04:06:16 PM »

Where they screw up, and are subject to being spanked, is when they constrain those requests for input to subscribers only, or declare that their positions at the IARU table are from subscriber input, to the implied exclusion of those who have not paid fees.

All that is required to replace the ARRL as the U.S. rep with the IARU & ITU is an organization with a larger number of licensed amateurs as members. Anybody got one of those in their pockets?

This is scary Mack. I was half-way writing the same thing, when I noticed you just post. Bell System guys must think alike.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 04:25:44 PM »

So, I interpret the IARU resolution to mean, in this case, that the ARRL is not obligated to listen to non-members with regard to strictly ARRL matters, but it IS obligated to listen with regard to IARU matters, vis-a-vis the IARU bandplan.

Did I misinterpret that?

In my opinion, I'm sure if you approached a Director, say at a hamfest, the first words out of their mouth won't be "member?" or "nonmember?" I'm sure they would value input from any source. However, it makes no sense for them to acknowledge it in a public document. As Mack pointed out, the ARRL is the largest amateur organization in the U.S. and, as such, presents U. S. amateurs at IARU and ITU meetings. In any voting exercises, their vote counts as "1". Any input to the ARRL representatives attending these meetings seems to be somewhat cloudy.

K4QE
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 04:43:33 PM »

Pete,

You said: "it makes no sense for them to acknowledge it in a public document".

Aren't the resolutions of the IARU public documents?  Aren't documents like the IARU Region 2 bandplan public documents upon which the ARRL provides input and a vote of approval or disapproval?

As I read it, the ARRL, as an IARU member society, has an obligation to represent all US amateurs, regardless of ARRL membership status, in matters before the IARU.

How can the ARRL fulfill that obligation and represent non-members if they don't "officially" take input from them?

73, Tony K4QE
K4QE
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »

Darn, we beat this mule to death in at least 2 other very long threads. I'm ready to bury this carcass, the stench is getting a bit strong. 

But it hasn't stopped you from reading it and commenting on it, has it...

73, Tony K4QE
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015