The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:09:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wimpy little fan on Jenny Gonset needs help I think  (Read 6875 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: January 23, 2008, 08:05:41 AM »

I'm wondering what the consensus is on adding more airflow inside the cabinet to gently caress the envelopes of the 572B's as I schwing and drop mauls and make old buzzards. Can't hurt, I know. I'm worried more about keeping the iron cool(er) than I am the tubes.

My general thoughts are that I need more hot air out-take than cool air inflow. Keep the stock fan and add a exit fan to the back of the case.
Something like a 220 vac 4" Rotron so it's churning at half speed to keep the noise down.

How best for a crip like me to cut the hole required?

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 07:02:26 PM »

Why not fire it up and take some temp measurement before spending a ton of time putting a fan in that you may not need?
KA1ZGC
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 10:32:31 PM »

If they laid out the 201 nearly as dumb as they laid out the 100, I'd definately go with the fan. The 100 I've got had its iron cooked, and it's hardly the first one to suffer that fate.

For something with such a sound electronic design, the GSB-100 had a really stupid physical layout. The suckply iron is in the back right corner of the chassis. Huddled right up to the iron is (was) both rectifier tubes and the final, and there's no fan at all. In a word: DUH! Heat death of the iron was virtually guaranteed.

Not so much a problem now that both supplies have been solid-stated, so I haven't bothered with the fan. Given that both rigs are from the same line, I wouldn't be suprised if they did something every bit as foolish with the 201.

If the back is fluted like the 100, I wouldn't worry about drilling and blasting. You'd only need a couple of CFM or so, just to keep that cloud of hot stagnant air from building up around the iron because someone thought it was a good idea to huddle all the hot things around it.

If the cabinet is fluted behind the iron, I'd just drill the mounting holes and hang the fan (on second thought, no... hanging's too good for it, beat it to death with a hammer). You could cut away the flutes where the fan would go if you want to be extra sure, but all you really need to do is break up the standing air and you should be good to go. You don't really need to move gobs of air. 240VAC fannage fed with 120VAC is always a sure winner.

If they smartened up when they built the 201, you'll probably be okay, given the GSB-line's history it's worth checking first. Maybe hit a pet store and grab one of those thermometer tapes they stick on fish tanks?

Howzat for a non-answer?
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 01:09:35 AM »

Why not fire it up and take some temp measurement before spending a ton of time putting a fan in that you may not need?

I dunno. Good question.

I did score 2 brand new 4 incher 115 vac units with grilles and mounting sleeves at the minifest for almost nothing.
So I got em if I need em.

I got a crap load of silver pl259's, rg-58 reducers, and BNC/UHF adapters. I'll never not have more than enough patch cables again. I'll have 30 made by tomorrow and ready to go for future needs.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 07:16:50 AM »

Timmy, does the Gonshit have ANY holes in the top cover ?

If so, just put an AC cord on one of those new fans along with 4 rubber feet and set it on top over the holes blowing up. You'll suck out the bad nasty hot air and no drilling or blasting.

Like This
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 07:29:00 AM »

I got a crap load of silver pl259's, rg-58 reducers, and BNC/UHF adapters. I'll never not have more than enough patch cables again. I'll have 30 made by tomorrow and ready to go for future needs.

Cool. Hope to hear you on with the maul in the near future.

That amp is 40 years old. I'm guessing if the tranny was gonna crap out, it would have done it by now. Al-N2SHG (SK) ran that same amp on AM for quite a few years and he never had a problem.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 07:41:57 AM »

This guy really likes his Gonset Derb !

Check out the last line
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 07:52:33 AM »

Lots of good stuff on that site.

BIG POWER,THATS WHAT COBRA 888 IS ALL ABOUT,AND ONE TRIP TO THIS SUPER STATION FROM LAKE WALLENPALPACK, WILL CONVINCE YOU OF THAT FACT!!!

FRANK'S WEAPON OF CHOICE IS THIS HENRY RADIO 2K CLASSIC X FLOOR CONSOLE,WITH
2-3-500 Z'S,ON 220 VOLTS AND PUSHING A EASY 1800 WATTS AM DEAD KEY WITH 100 WATTS DRIVE

BASE RADIO(THIS WEEK) IS A PRESIDENT LINCOLN,BACKED UP WITH EATHER COBRA'S VINTAGE THUNDERBOLT 101,OR SWINGER 205 FOR A DRIVER,PUMPED IN TO THE BIG HENRY,AND THEN WIRED IN TO A"JO-GUNN SMOKIN GUNN"BEAM ANTENNA TURNED WITH A HAM 4 ROTOR.
BACK UP EQUIPTMENT INCLUDE A VINTAGE HEATHKIT"SB-200",AND EARLY "70'S" D&A HORNET FOR A DRIVER
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 08:19:29 AM »

Yeh, I saw that doing a google. Hey, I love the thing. That part about reworking a few things is VERY TRUE. If you don't upgrade the bridge rectumfier board you will have trouble with the 572B's. They used diodes which were barely ok with the 811A's - 600 PIV@500ma jobs, with PIV rating not up to snuff. Just change em out and you're golden. A diode burned on mine at some point in the past, you can see the big zorch in the board.

That one pictured is a Mark 4, the last one made. The GSB-201 was in continuous production from 1963 to 1971. Not a lot of other ham gear was made that long. I dont like the Mark 4 paint job, really ugly. The Mark 3 is the sweet one, white and gray paint and 572B capable right out of the chute. I'm gonna get 2 more one for spare iron just in case. I'm big into spares and parts stock right now. I don't need any more gear with the exception of my own tunas and another Gonset. I need to bulletproof and install the gear I gotz.  Cool And then swing. Things just don't go as fast as they used to.  Undecided

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 09:43:41 AM »

I see 51 watt Phred has some competition !

1 Watt Scott
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 07:26:09 PM »

Buddly,

I remember now why I gotta have the fan on the back. It wont clear the bench lighting and smashes into the bulbs. I want it on the "rig kart" so I can move it and the Yeasu around to get at the back of them without trouble. Makes it very easy. So I cant have the fan on top.

I could put it on the upper deck of the bench but then I could not move it.

I mocked up the install holding it in place on the amp and it damn near looks like the factory put it there. Just gotta get the hole drilled.
I think da boyz down at former workplace will do that for me. I'll put it on and run it about a week first and see how she worketh. If she passes a weeks worth of munky swinging I'll go get the fan put in and have the trim ring on the front and the case powder-coated. Then she will be done, and I will use. The APE MAN showed me the way to go. Go Go Gadget Gonset!!

After that, on to Yeasu #2 to fix that up and save another rig.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 09:30:26 PM »

30 cables. Huh  I musta been on drugs.

It's taking me almost a half hour to do just one cable.  Roll Eyes But they're damn good ones!
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 08:27:52 AM »

i got enough made so I can use my swr bridge. I can now load the cheep tubes to 310 ma at the dip, loading control @ 5.

in 2 second bursts.  Grin

all the rf is getting transferred now. 0 reflected. Termaline dummy loads should be here anyday now. 1 for each bench. amazing how cheap the 100 watt ones are on ebay. buy em all day long for 25 bux each.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015