The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:18:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YouTube & "ham radio"  (Read 14226 times)
WA3VJB
« on: January 12, 2008, 09:40:35 PM »

ACK !
There's a lot of crap on YouTube representing "ham radio."

What they need is a set of TUBES.

Many sets of tubes.

Who on here is game to roll some video tape on some decent QSOs with maybe a wrap-up view of their station?

Could be something as simple as this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=K1D0k5R0EbU

Really need to upload some material on there from our part of the hobby.

Should probably make sure "AM" is in the title to find as a keyword search.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 04:19:04 AM »

Remember this one?

And read here for a description of the station.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 07:55:50 AM »

Nice Geloso set-up. Vortex Joe, N3IBX has the same lash-up, (amoung other rigs)

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 09:53:20 AM »

Just to see how easily it can be done, I just uploaded some video I recorded last night.
Latest in a series from all of us, I hope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbYKAPkS6lM

For the category, I placed it in "Science and Technology."
For the subject, I plan to use "AM in Amateur Radio"
For the key search words that people can enter and find this video, I used:
Vintage
AM
Amateur Radio
classic
Amplitude Modulation

I since have added "vacuum tubes" and "hollow state," but not sure if I should use boolean quotes around phrases or if they keep it as single words.

Thoughts? Feedback ?
Plan to add some too ?

There are a few good examples to use as templates:
N1TI for example has a number, but seems not to feature AM on the shortwave ham bands per se.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbcWEBEvOAo

Antique Wireless Association is represented on there, that's cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHdR_7wdLWg
W2JTD

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 12:59:39 PM »

Very cool, Paul. It's fun to watch from that perspective.

Moe: Where were you born? Curly: Lake Winnipesaukee. Moe: How do you spell that? Curly: W-O... woof! Make it Lake Erie. I got an Uncle there.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 04:57:47 PM »

OK Fellow Hams
The YOUTUBE is pretty nice. It would be nice to see the transmit side of the QSO and see the processor blinking its lights and the limiter meter schwanging the monkey and finally some 'scope patterns of a fully modulated carrier.
I'll work on something here. My wife is handy with the camcorder
fred

Fred KC4MOP
AF9J
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 06:42:40 PM »

Man Paul,

That just rips!  That really sounded cool. But then again, in my experience as a Gen X,  young oldtimer, who's done stuff in the digital, VHF/UHF weak signal, QRP, and contesting communities, I've found the AMers to be among the coolest of the bunch in ham radio.  I was surpised when I joined this group.  There are engineers, broadcasters, musicians, former hippie types (no disrespect intended), etc.  It's one of the most varied groups of hams I've ever run into.  Way cool!!  My AM QSOs on 6 & 10m this last summer, and last week on 3885 after the Saturday morning net with Dave, W9AD, Jack, W9GT, and others (thanks for the .mp3 of my transmissions Dave), were among some of the most enjoyable I've had in a long time.  Once again Paul - great video.   

Ellen - AF9J

P.S. - Paul, your SP600 looks cool.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 08:46:36 PM »

Kinda hnyellowee audio.
W2JTD

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 08:18:35 AM »

Yes, interesting perspective, from the eye-socket vantage point.

I am quite used to witnessing my own thin, variceal xanthochroidal phalanges tweaking away at the knobs.
Now, I am you, albeit with a significantly reduced vocabulary.

Moe: Where were you born? Curly: Lake Winnipesaukee. Moe: How do you spell that? Curly: W-O... woof! Make it Lake Erie. I got an Uncle there.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 10:33:04 AM »

It's great from the 'real radio' and 'knob twiddler' side of the aisle. Adds a lot of credibility to the AM mode also, with clear, understandable audio, swinging meters and so on. A positive message consisting of some short films of AMers in their radio rooms with their gear, slowing tubes and meters, and narrated explanations would go a long way to promoting amateur radio in general and AM specifically. Excellent idea.

I still firmly believe that the hands-on 'radio' aspect of AM combined with more natural audio is the biggest draw for newbies, since the newer gear is so much like the toys they already have. For those with no interest in older gear, we have Class E, SDR, and Yaecomewood radios capable of decent AM.

Heard you in there Saturday night Paul, just as you were signing. Static was heavy up this way the last two nights, so activity was non-existent.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA3VJB
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 10:55:18 AM »

Kinda hnyellowee audio.
You mean all that dirt in there off to the side ?  That's RFI from the plasma TV all the way up at the house.

I dunno whether it's radiated in free space or coming down the AC line, which is buried to the Radio Lodge.

I also run line conditioners at both ends, on the TV and on the receiver, so YERRRGh.

Well, here's what it's supposed to sound like.
Caught Keith on the air bolstering his emergency preparedness credentials by having put his dipole back up to stay on the air, even before he was back in the house from the Tree Disaster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_B3BHErUyc

Plasma TV turned OFF.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 11:03:16 AM »

Lots of buzzies, and some distortion.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 11:08:53 AM »

Besides being a.c. power hogs and very effective electric heaters year round, that rf noise should be enough to scare anyone away from a plasma screen and steer them towards LCD.  Besides, the shiny screen with all its glare makes plasma screens suck anyway.

Just wait till all the houses on your block become equipped with plasma TV's.

At the rate the rf pollution from consumer crap is growing, we won't need to worry about BPL.  In the unlikely event it ever gets widely deployed, we probably won't notice it anyway, through all the other trash already on the band.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 11:10:02 AM »

LCD image quality sucks compared to plasma. Even worse with motion. Plasma is less expensive for a given size too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015