The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 08:55:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Say no to hi fi audio for communications  (Read 37046 times)
wd8das

« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2007, 06:48:59 PM »

While there can be no blanket judgements on these things, in my experience the low and medium-powered commercial AM rigs are the rigs that most frequently should bad or seem "wide".  They either are misadjusted, deliberately pushed too hard to be heard ithru the QRM, or include built-in clippers that cause trouble.  Once a guy learns how to adjust the rig, modify it for cleaner performance, and monitor the output, they begin to sound good. 

Operators of bigger rigs, homebrew or commercial, usually are already doing those things, and usually do not take up much bandwidth. 

For example, a properly-operating big-ole broadcast transmitter fed with clean audio via a well designed audio chain, not exceeding 100% negative mod, will be a very efficient user of band-space.  Thanks to the linear AF-to-RF performance the rig is only transmitting what is put in - it isn't making much of any new spurious signals.

None of this applies, of course, to signals heard on a poorly designed or defective receiver - even quite modern ones when the crummy noise blanker is engaged! 

Steve WD8DAS

WB2RJR

1st BCT, 10th Mountain, returned from Iraq 11/2008

« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2007, 02:51:08 PM »

To W7XXX,

Sam,

It's been a while since I talked to you on 75, usually before the Colorado AM group got on. Do you still get on in the early mornings? I'm setting up another station at my new house near Pinedale in SW Wyoming. Will be running the Valliant up here with the Globe King still down at the place in Colorado.

Should have things ready to go before the end of the year. Have been very busy since the price of oil took off. (at last) Putting up a 160/75 dipole and a vertical w/120 radials for the other bands. House is on top of a hill and can see the entire Wind River Range to the east, the Gros Vendre to the north and the Wyoming range to the west along the border with Idaho. Nothing but space to the south. Can hardly wait to see how the antennas work here.

Haven't had a chance to read the last 5 pages and see how crazy everyone got, but suspect I didn't miss much.

Hope to bump into you again soon on 75.

My best.

Marty WB2RJR.......ex KG0KO
Boulder, Wy. & Golden, Co.

P.S.
Sam,

Well, now I've read the last 5 pages and wish I hadn't done that. Really don't know what to say. When did you first catch me in the mornings before the Colorado AM Morning group got on. Was that 12, maybe 15 years ago?

Tell you what. Forget the internet. I'll see you on 75 AM

AMI #20, GACW #786
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015