The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:54:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Official" ARRL position: AM'ers are "ignorant"  (Read 35289 times)
kf6pqt

« on: November 08, 2007, 11:35:36 AM »

This got sent to a mailing list that I'm on:

UNFOUNDED RUMORS: Region 2 IARU Band Plan & AM Operation

7 NOV 2007 - 2050 CST

Fellow Central Division ARRL Members:

For those who follow FCC proceedings and already understand what the
IARU is and how it operates, a lot of what I'm about to say may be old
news to you.  However, we still appear to have individuals, who do not
understand the IARU (and sometimes even the FCC), get very excited when
somebody tells them their cherished mode of amateur radio operation is
in danger of being eliminated.  What follows is for the benefit of
these people.

The recently approved IARU Region 2 Band Plan is only an advisory band
plan for use, as desired, primarily by those amateur radio societies in
Region 2 that have little in the way of a band plan.  This is the
second IARU Region to adopt a new or revised band plan.  Region 3 still
has yet to act on this item.

The International Amateur Radio Union (IARU) is only an advisory
organization made up of the amateur radio societies in each respective
region.  Region 2 is North and South America.  The geographic regions
mirror the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) Regions.  The
ITU is the body that develops the rules at World Radio Conferences that
then have to be adopted by each country.  The IARU has no such power.

The current mini-uproar is the result of a very few ignorant people
with issues making postings to various un-moderated Internet email
reflectors.

There is no plot to shut down amateur radio AM operation in the U.S. or
it's territories.  The existing AM footnotes to our current band plan
still apply and will continue to do so until the FCC changes or erases
them from its Part 97 Regulations.  I repeat, there is no ARRL plan to
get rid of HF amateur radio AM operation in the U.S.  I also point out
that the AM footnotes (that enable AM operation) in the current FCC
Amateur Radio Service band plan would have still applied to our
regulation by bandwidth proposal, if it had become an FCC Regulation.
Only the portions of the HF band plan that would have been changed were
listed in the ARRL petition to the FCC.  This is standard procedure in
an FCC filing.  Many people still do not "get it".

I find it absolutely amazing that many people jump to conclusions
before they do their own homework.  This is true in many activities,
including amateur radio.  There have been, and apparently always will
be, individuals who are gullible, biased, have an axe to grind, or are
some combination of the three when it comes to discussing and
considering amateur radio regulations.  They are few in number, but
there are a lot of others who are taken in by these people simply
because they don't understand the situation and don't want to spend the
effort to get the facts directly from the source.

I don't have a good answer to this situation other than to keep working
to spread the truth.  I apologize for my exasperation that shows
through in this message.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
ARRL Central Division
Director: George Isely, W9GIG
w9gig@arrl.org
--------------------------------------------------------------------

My response, even though I'm no where near being in his division:

George,

I take great offense at the inference that I am "ignorant," solely due to my expressing support for the AM mode, and for voicing these comments to the ARRL.

The ARRL claims to represent Radio Amateurs of the United States, and regularly solicits our opinion on various matters. Commentary such as yours does nothing to dissuade the notion that some of us have that the League's interest lies primarily in our membership dues, and least of all in our opinions.

With a  representative body such as this, with representatives such as yourself, who both claim to know what is best for its "ignorant" membership, it should be no surprise that we feel the need to LOUDLY express ourselves.

Please look up the term "political correctness," and give it some thought. In your capacity as Division Director, you are, though however minor a role, a politician. The league, yourself, and your constituency would all benefit if you employed a bit of tact in your communications.

Sincerely,
Jason Sogolow KF6PQT, ARRL Member
Burbank, California.

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 04:14:12 PM »

The league, yourself, and your constituency would all benefit if you employed a bit of tact intelligence in your communications.
W1GFH
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 10:56:38 PM »

George,

I take great offense at the inference that I am "ignorant," solely due to my expressing support for the AM mode, and for voicing these comments to the ARRL.

The ARRL claims to represent Radio Amateurs of the United States, and regularly solicits our opinion on various matters. Commentary such as yours does nothing to dissuade the notion that some of us have that the League's interest lies primarily in our membership dues, and least of all in our opinions.

With a  representative body such as this, with representatives such as yourself, who both claim to know what is best for its "ignorant" membership, it should be no surprise that we feel the need to LOUDLY express ourselves.

Please look up the term "political correctness," and give it some thought. In your capacity as Division Director, you are, though however minor a role, a politician. The league, yourself, and your constituency would all benefit if you employed a bit of tact in your communications.

Sincerely,
Jason Sogolow KF6PQT, ARRL Member
Burbank, California.

Rite on, bro.

How goes it in The PQT backyard R&D facility? Are you on the air yet?
WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 06:53:26 PM »

That's right.
That's right.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 06:57:33 PM »

Paul said:
That's right.

That's right.

"Showdown? You bet! And I haven't even saddled my pony yet! Have mercy Miss Percy, I done put the coon tune on this Vette'...."

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
K0ARA
Contributing

The Bull

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 07:33:20 PM »

Paul said:
That's right.

That's right.

"Showdown? You bet! And I haven't even saddled my pony yet! Have mercy Miss Percy, I done put the coon tune on this Vette'...."

That little old band from Texas.  Cool

Mike KØARA                99.9% AM
                 AMI  #1692
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 08:36:25 PM »

ig·no·rant
–adjective
1.   lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
2.   lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
3.   uninformed; unaware.
4.   due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

ex.: I am ignorant in writing software code or the engineer was ignorant in the design of filters.
Doesn't always mean you're one step from the turnip farm.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 08:53:52 PM »

The word "ignorant" is usually, and in this context definitely, used as a derisive term.  This letter and its mode of influence delivery leaves quite a bit to be desired.

I agree that the ARRL negotiators should receive many requests to expand the use of those little asterisks, to include 160 meters, and more areas of 75, 40, etc.  If it doesn't matter, then there should be no problem.

I'm just hoping that nobody takes anything to the Supreme Court again.  In the past, that turned out to be less than helpful.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 09:38:55 PM »

Bacon posted:
"If it doesn't matter, then there should be no problem."

I guess you mean that if the IARU bandplan doesn't matter, then there should be no problem. I would agree with you except for the statement on the IARU link Don has posted in the IARU thread.

From the IARU web page......
"It is suggested that Member Societies, in coordination with the authorities, incorporate it in their regulations and promote it widely with their radio amateur communities."

This, I think, is where the problem resides with the entire matter. This ARRL Director is temporary. Regulations are hard to change once adopted. This bandplan would give the ARRL idea of bandwidth limitations some international "legitimacy" so they could go at the FCC again.

Bill KA8WTK
WA3VJB
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 09:41:06 AM »

some international "legitimacy" so they could go at the FCC again.

Bill this is correct. The club has used the IARU as a basis for several subsequent arguments with the FCC. How inbred is that ?

We are doing well to document the process that led up to the Region 2 bandplan, while the details are fresh in the minds of non-US representatives at the table.

This information can then be archived and retrieved when and if the group in Newington is foolhardy enough to try an IARU-style strategy again.

It also is why it is SO important that we today try to convince the other, non-US representatives to revise this plan now, for the well-founded and politely expressed reasons discussed.

I stepped back to the Region 1 band plan development, and learned in an exchange of emails with several of the representatives that Europe reputedly expressed concern about the "efficient" use of amateur spectrum.

This notion has been discredited over the years, since chit-chat on any mode is still chit-chat, and is not made more deserving of space by virture of bandwidth consumed.

The Region 1 correspondents were unable to provide me with any references in the IARU archives to attribute to anyone in particular these expressions of concern.  And I since have found out that the concept was pre-emptive and originated within the discussions among Region 1 reps leading up to the 2006 plan.

NO one outside the Region 1 table actually asked the amateur community to take steps toward efficiency through narrow-bandwidth advocacy, and no one has apparently been impressed at using this as a sales pitch for increased spectrum for radio hobbyists.

It's all non-essential communications in areas of spectrum where there is NO need nor mandate for those licensees to achieve maximum band loading. It is left up to those licensees to figure out how to make room for one another, and that's the way it should remain.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 01:57:06 PM »

bandwidth consumed

Even this term is bogus. Bandwidth is not consumed. When I'm done using it, it still exists for other to use.
ka2zni
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 11:01:00 AM »

Wrong or right, this was sent to the ARRL ... And yes I responded to the email by AM forum and the petition was forwarded to all email addresses applicable...

Dear Sir:

Well, Since us ignorant AM'rs cannot understand the workings of the ARRL or the IARU this ignorant AM'er will not, nor ever have any involvement with the ARRL as I would not want to embarass such a prominent organization.

Sincerely,
Kevin J. Darrah
KA2ZNI
"An ignorant AM'r"
Art
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 12:34:47 PM »

A thought: (and probly an iggerent 1) Let's focus on correcting the misguided band plan rather than joust with an ARRL lemming who, it appears, would endeavor to divert focus on the issue at hand. The communication was, however, inspirational for me. It's definitely time to escalate my email and letter campaign against this self serving and self aggrandizing behavior of our "representatives" to the IARU. It is inappropriate for AM or any mode to be relegated to "footnote" status. The implications are obvious and unacceptable.

-ap
WA3VJB
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 04:36:29 PM »

Art it's always nice to hear from you.

I hope you've got a skyhook in the air so we out East can hear the K3XF dulcet tones once more.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 05:56:27 PM »

It is inappropriate for AM or any mode to be relegated to "footnote" status. The implications are obvious and unacceptable.

At the rate they are going, the ARRL may soon be a footnote.
WA3VJB
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 08:48:10 PM »

Nah, it's a good club, just some bad administrators right now.
Pretty soon the Board of Directors will regain control and pull out of the nosedive before impact.

Or maybe not.

I got this in an email tonight,
Rather har har.

Thank you to countless numbers of you for your thoughts and encouragement. Looks like we have hit “critical mass” and there is support around the world to request the ARRL Executives explain themselves in an open forum with regards to the IARU mode by bandwidth initiative.

As a veteran of many corporate battles and leader of two public companies I will show you on how we can bring change and obtain transparency in the ARRL and its executive team.

Rule # 1.  Do not waste your time with any director, section manager or Vice President.   The psychology involved in having a weak field organization is that it allows this kind of subterfuge to go on.

Rule # 2.  The ARRL field organization is populated mostly by individuals who carry big titles but have no authority to make policy or implement change.

Rule # 3.   I quote from Peter F. Druckers book on executive leadership;  The style, performance and effectivness of any organization is a direct reflection of the leadership in charge of the organization, (end quote).

Rule # 4.  Focus your emails concerning the IARU bandplan on the top two officials in the ARRL and IARU.  (Emails below)

Rule # 5.  Demand accountability, demand an open forum, demand clear concise explanations with supporting facts and figures, not rehtoric.

Rule # 6.  Never forget, nothing is more powerful than persistence.  Email them every, day, every night, and when you are tired of emailing them send another ten.  Eventually they will begin to crack and open up. It may take weeks or even months, but everything and everyone in life has a breaking point at which the truth comes out.

Rule # 7.  I am sure someone inside the organization has already forwarded this email to the executives in an attempt to gain recognition.  They already know what we plan to do, “BUT” nothing can stop an idea whose time has come, and the time is NOW for the ARRL to become transparent to the membership.

Rule # 8.  Request and demand a webinar, if you are unfamiliar with the technology visit www.webex.com,  I have nothing to do with the organization but the web site will explain how simple the technology is.

Rule # 8.  You will hear every concievable spin, devaluation statement, retrospective morality statement, and mirror question.   That’s all a smoke screen to avoid being transparent.

Rule # 9. “ If” the ARRL executives open up and become transparent, take the time to thank them personally.  It’s not easy to open up a closed organization, it will be painful for them but our membership is populated by people around the world who derserve to know whats going on with the IARU Bandwidth specification and the precise involvement of the ARRL and the potential of it becoming an FCC submission.

Rule # 10.   Finally, refer to rule # 6 everyday.

All the Best

Ron Weaver   W6OM

www.qsl.net/w6om

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 10:46:16 PM »

Cry

* riparrl.jpg (46.06 KB, 324x399 - viewed 1152 times.)
KG6UTS
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 11:02:27 PM »

After reading the article by WA3VJB in Electric Radio I sent an email to the regs guy and donations lady at ARRL. Not much I guess but I've found the donation gnomes in any organisation get nervous when you ask questions couched in 'no more bucks'

EdZ KG6UTS
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 10:32:44 AM »

I got pinged by the membership lady last Friday who at the end of her mailing asked that I share my thoughts with her on why I chose to rejoin or not via email. I'm afraid I sent her rather an earful about how closed and top down run the ARRL is, the "business  is all" orientation of the league these days, and of course the IARU mess.

If you wish to share your thoughts on league membership, her name is Katie Breen W1KRB and her email is kbrren@arrl.org. I think it's important that the membership people know what issues are keeping people from joining or staying with the league.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
WA1GFZ

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 12:43:10 PM »

oh well another year I don't belong to the little empire of no load wanna be in charge clowns.
Where did all that old stuff go in the lobby? that is an interesting question to ask.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 12:45:08 PM »

How'd you like the route 20 bridge this morning OM? I came over it about 8:10 and it was a thrill a minute

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2007, 01:40:07 PM »

oh well another year I don't belong to the little empire of no load wanna be in charge clowns.
Where did all that old stuff go in the lobby? that is an interesting question to ask.

Why don't you ask your relative, Joe? He should know or ask the right people where it all went although I do know some of the smaller stuff was scattered around the building as displays.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Art
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2007, 02:12:18 PM »

"Art it's always nice to hear from you.

I hope you've got a skyhook in the air so we out East can hear the K3XF dulcet tones once more."

Hi Paul,

Great to see the good fight being fought.

I do have an antenna that works OK, but not great, on 80. The QTH is a temporary situation until we understand where to go to do what we want. We will pretty much have to build a place out in the sticks to avoid the usual issues with proper antennae.
The local establishment is attempting to disallow even multicolored Christmas lights so a real antenna is pretty much out of the question.

k3xf   now   w0ba
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2007, 02:25:13 PM »

I are leting my memburship xpire.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
WA3VJB
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2007, 02:28:18 PM »

Send the $39 to amfone.net, what better entertainment and information have you got in mind ?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015