The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:10:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fill 'er up...Yeah, right...  (Read 42370 times)
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« on: November 07, 2007, 10:38:59 PM »

I've had my old 95 Ford since new, and at over 200,000 miles, it's never cost $140.00 to fill it up with diesel.

$3.599/gal today

This is getting a little ridiculous now.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 11:13:53 PM »

I've had my old 95 Ford since new, and at over 200,000 miles, it's never cost $140.00 to fill it up with diesel.

$3.599/gal today

This is getting a little ridiculous now.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid it's only going to get worse.

It is now inevitable that the price of crude oil will surpass $100.00/bbl within the next few weeks (or more probably sooner), and it really has'nt gotten all that cold out yet, which has dampened the demand for home heating oil. Once the demand for heating oil increases, this will put more pressure on gasoline prices, and they will rise further.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
KC1XF
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 11:33:18 PM »

Forget it!

Soon it will be $ 5.00 a gallon, and you know just another bump in the road.

Afterall, latest word is the economy is good, thousand of new jobs have been
created, all paying $ 7.50 an hour.

It's alright, got an election coming up.

Just keep putting em back in, don't say nothing, don't do nothing.

Interesting point my late father-in-law had told me thirty years ago, too bad
you will never see regular person be President.

Regards,

KC1XF
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 03:03:46 AM »

The economy is doing so great that this past week my 401K account dropped by almost $8000 when the stock market dropped.

The same old crap will continue, regardless of who wins the election.

To get an idea of why, look at this.

So don't expect to see gas prices, the war, the other war, BPL, the bandwidth issue, AM IBOC, the p.e.p. bullshit or slopbucketeers go away, regardless.

Which reminds me.  I was listening on 75 a couple of weeks ago, and it sounded like the piss 'n moan net has been reactivated.  Anyone know its scheduled time?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KC1XF
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 04:43:06 AM »

That is right Don, question in a C/W song "How highs the water Mama", well it's pretty high now. We just got to keep our heads up.

Fred
KC1XF
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 08:28:19 AM »

I hope all you guys remember who screwed you the next time you vote
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 08:37:01 AM »

Who?
K1MVP
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 08:39:29 AM »

I hope all you guys remember who screwed you the next time you vote

And HRC if elected will "fix" this whole mess?---sure.
                                                   73, K1MVP

P.S.,--got to be careful, as to where this thread could lead,--no politics or religion if I recall.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 08:41:44 AM »

"  Who?  "

They.            klc

What? Me worry?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 08:55:11 AM »

Where was "they" when gas prices were 50-70 cents lower, just a few months ago?

Anyone who thinks politicians have any control over gas prices (other than taxes) is out to lunch.
AF9J
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 09:01:33 AM »

That is right Don, question in a C/W song "How highs the water Mama", well it's pretty high now. We just got to keep our heads up.

Fred
KC1XF

Ah yes, an old Johnny Cash classic.

Ellen - AF9J
Where Regular gas is $3.10/gallon
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 09:18:18 AM »

"  Where was "they" when gas prices were 50-70 cents lower, just a few months ago?   "

They was riding around in Black Hell ocopters, controlling our thought.

* The dark side.jpg (2.91 KB, 103x120 - viewed 521 times.)

What? Me worry?
W8EJO

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 09:19:08 AM »

There is something we can do.

We can vote for those politicos, from either party, who promise to fast track new refineries, open up drilling and exploration and otherwise put policies in place that will lead to increases in supply of petro products.

Oil & gas are commodities like any other & their price fluctuates based on supply & demand. Demand has been growing and will continue to grow at a rapid pace. The supply has not kept up with this increase in demand. No new U.S. refineries in 30+ years, no new drilling anywhere.

This is clearly a suicidal path that is guaranteed to lead to much, much higher prices & extreme economic hardship.

And forget alternative fuels, at least in our lifetime. They are all economically unfeasable.

Unless someone has revoked the law of supply & demand, increasing the supply is the only way to materially lower these prices.

So next election, look closely at the policies advocated by the candidates & vote for those who promise to remove the barriers to increased supply.

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
NE4AM

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 09:44:02 AM »

Atchooly, the cost of oil hasn't gone up so much as the value of the dollar is imploding big time.  Compare the price of oil to the price of gold, you'll see what I mean.  Same thing as what happened in the early 70's with Tricky Dick in the White House.

73 - Dave
WA1GFZ

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 10:04:26 AM »

seems to me tricky dick was the last conservative to have a balanced budget.....and he was no crook.
Rick K5IAR
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 10:18:20 AM »

Let's not forget where we are.  Sammy Kershaw had a song out in which he said he would not discuss, "...politics, religion and her..." Two of them apply well here.  Politics is for another place.

Thanks,
Rick/K5IAR
W8EJO

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 10:31:24 AM »

seems to me tricky dick was the last conservative to have a balanced budget.....and he was no crook.

I don't want to be political, but Nixon a conservative? Not even close. His wage & price controls in 1971 were about as anti-free market as you can get (and of course they failed miserably as all such heavy handed schemes are destined to). Other big government ideas such as the EPA, and expansion of Social Security were signed into law by him.

Terry
W8EJO

Terry, W8EJO

W8EJO

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 10:35:22 AM »

There is something we can do.

We can vote for those politicos, from either party, who promise to fast track new refineries, open up drilling and exploration and otherwise put policies in place that will lead to increases in supply of petro products.

Oil & gas are commodities like any other & their price fluctuates based on supply & demand. Demand has been growing and will continue to grow at a rapid pace. The supply has not kept up with this increase in demand. No new U.S. refineries in 30+ years, no new drilling anywhere.

This is clearly a suicidal path that is guaranteed to lead to much, much higher prices & extreme economic hardship.

And forget alternative fuels, at least in our lifetime. They are all economically unfeasable.

Unless someone has revoked the law of supply & demand, increasing the supply is the only way to materially lower these prices.

So next election, look closely at the policies advocated by the candidates & vote for those who promise to remove the barriers to increased supply.

Economics is science, not politics. Our government's economic policies are politically shaped however.

Terry
W8EJO

Terry, W8EJO

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 10:38:39 AM »

"  but Nixon a conservative? Not even close.  "

Yes, you can see who his friends were.... .. klc

* oval-office-nixon-and-elvis.jpg (79.18 KB, 600x356 - viewed 516 times.)

What? Me worry?
K3ZS

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007, 11:05:36 AM »

During the last 7 years the national debt went from a surplus to a record getting close to 10 trillion.    You can form your own opinions of why that has happened (at the risk of getting political)  but it is the direct cause of the devaluation of the dollar and the cost of imports.   Over this period of time the Euro went from about $0.80 to over $1.50.    If the dollar remained as valuable oil as it was 7 years ago, the cost of oil would be about $50 a barrel now.   
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007, 11:08:21 AM »

Hops for beer brewing are a bit scarce this year too, prices expected to rise. No doubt another gov't conspiracy waiting to be discovered. Sure, it's logical and explainable if you want to take the time to learn the facts and apply some common sense. Unfortunately it's a lot less common than it used to be.

I'm with Rick - let's not even go there. Life has plenty to piss and moan about without taking it political. Our personal choices and deeds, not our rants, are the only things that will make a difference.

Roll Eyes

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 11:19:26 AM »

$3, $4, $5 a gallon, where does it end?? Not to date myself with this one, but..................... When I bought that orange car in my driveway that many of you have commented about, "high test" gas was somewhere between 27 and 29 cents a gallon around here depending on where you got it from. (and it was all full serv back then) Cry Cry

How many if you all remember telling the attendant "give me $5.00 or fill it"

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W8EJO

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 11:25:04 AM »

During the last 7 years the national debt went from a surplus to a record getting close to 10 trillion.       

The national debt has never been a "surplus". It can't be by definition.

The national debt = the cumulative excess of spending over tax receipts since our government began doing business. In inflation adjusted dollars (2000 dollars) it stands at 
about 7 trillion dollars. The debt was fairly constant from the end of WW II (slightly less than 2 trillion) until about 1980. It has grown bloated since then as our government has grown bloated with new agencies, cabinet level departments,and spending programs.

Terry
W8EJO

Terry, W8EJO

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 11:29:58 AM »

I remember gas being 32.9¢/gal. forever when I was younger, 35+ years ago. Paint was a lot cheaper then too, along with toothpaste. What's a gallon of toothpaste cost these days? When I bought some exterior latex for the house a few months back, it was right around $36/gal. I was always amazed that I could get a whole gallon of gas, something that would power the lawn mower or go kart for what seemed like forever, for a few cents.

Europe has been paying through the nose for years thanks in no small part to their taxes and other economic issues. We had it good for a long time thanks to our ability to discover and recover oil in our own territory.

Times have changed.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2007, 11:46:58 AM »

I think I was making about $1.50 an hour when gas hit 30 cents anound 40 years ago....I was pissed but still ran high test in the old 60 poncho
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015