The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:38:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buried Treasures: Understanding and Treating Compulsive Hoarding  (Read 28906 times)
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2008, 09:23:02 AM »

"... I can haul that junk away for ya, if ya want - I'll give you a hundred bux for the scrap value - I gotta pay gas and take a lot of time..."

Do you own it all, or just have dibs on selected purchases??

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2008, 10:58:29 AM »

No, it's not mine at all. I have a few things stored there for instance a G.E. light valve video projector, but all this stuff belongs to a guy I know -the old fart in the pictures. That's all his place and stuff, been there for many years. It's just never been 'exposed' before. The young fart in the pictures was helping him move stuff around in exchange for junque like microwave oven transformers, magnetrons, oil caps, air conditioner parts, etc..

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WBear2GCR

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2008, 11:22:05 AM »

Yeah, FB.

dunno what the fellow is thinking about, but if he sold a number of those items on ebay, he'd make a handsome profit, and might be able to "live large" for a while...

personally, I am taking steps to make sure that I don't look like that at all in the coming years. it's something that I am afraid of actually...

_-_-bear

W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2008, 12:38:07 PM »

That place reminds me of the house where the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" was filmed.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2008, 06:02:19 PM »

Yeah, FB.

dunno what the fellow is thinking about, but if he sold a number of those items on ebay, he'd make a handsome profit, and might be able to "live large" for a while...

personally, I am taking steps to make sure that I don't look like that at all in the coming years. it's something that I am afraid of actually...

_-_-bear

He'd probably sell you some of that, but he does not want alot of time-wasting tire kickers and cheapskates calling, so he asked me not to post the details, only pictures. Since I posted that hoard, two people have looked up my phone # and called me!! I had to go back and add a disclaimer to the web page. If someone wants something specific, I could help out.

About looks, there are worse people to look like. Janet Reno comes quickly to mind..

WBear2GCR

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2008, 06:25:35 PM »

Yeah, but I couldn't make a "real" offer, only lowball... that would be unfair, since unless he's one of those folks who actually has a ton of money, but just doesn't care,  if he sold something I knew was worth more, I'd feel really bad about it.

You don't get tire kickers on ebay, or even a more direct sale on one of the multiple ham or audio websites - usually you just get paid and then have to pack and ship the thing, that's the rub. The packing and shipping is a royal PIA, imho.

Probably someone would be willing to handle all the ebaying for a minor % of the sales... but they'd have to be "on the ground" at the site...

That RCA TV broadcast console looks like it belongs in the Museum Of Broadcasting... btw.

_-_-bear

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2008, 02:04:15 AM »

- well if you like something, offers are what they are, speak up! None of it is made of gold and there's alot of good mid-size power and audio iron on those chassis if that is what you are looking at. I've seen most of it more than once because I go there from time to time. He's not greedy, just had a few bad experiences with people wanting to show up with a big truck-trailer and pay a dime for a dollars worth, by the ton.

There are alot of things that should be in museums thats for sure. The guy is rather generous actually, and trading goes both ways and he has given me many items over the years. He knows what the stuff is worth, so no worries, and if you have something to trade, all the better. The value of something always has a range and also depends alot on attitude!

to digress -I traded him the two RCA BA-4 amps for the Presto amp and the variac and the 'other' presto amp when we find it. eBay-profit wise it might not have been the best trade from my standpoint but I'm happy with it and I wanted the amps (maybe two in parallel) for a modulator driver. I have a spare Altec 1570B, three Stromberg-carlson AP-80's, and a Bogen MO-200, so there are five dang =>150W amps, but those dont' have a 500 ohm output tap and all are all short of bass power bandwidth and I don't like that aspect due to possble worsening of distortion occuring in the speech range.
- end digression

A few peple have asked about this hoard, but the guy does not want to get rid of any of it.

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2008, 11:14:36 AM »

Concerning the Vortex Collection:

In the same amazed and shocked intonation as Jodi Foster after coming back from 'n' space worm hole travels in "Contact";

"I had no idea....    I had no idea....."

Boy, wouldn't the AWA and professional organizers like to get ahold of Joe's stuff.
I even recognized the Hammarlund Pro after reading my last ER.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2008, 02:13:32 PM »

Joe has obviously been selective on what he has collected. I hope he has all of it insured!!

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2008, 09:35:27 PM »

yeah, well hopefully he does.

...and would you get a load of the ceiling light shot of Opcon's.
807's for g's sake ; must be on a separate circuit for the filaments or maybe he used 6 volt auto bulbs in the other lamps.

What a great idea for subdued light in the shack on those cold winter nights when all you have is your radio, your brew and your honey.

I think I'd turn mine up, though, rather than have 'em hangin'.    Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015