The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:57:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motorola Going After Control of Vertex Standard (parent of Yaesu)  (Read 26850 times)
WA3VJB
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2008, 04:01:01 PM »

Glad to hear the deal went through.

Maybe this will help Yaesu's image in the commercial and public safety community, where the numbers really matter.

Check those re-sale prices to see proof.

It's geographically opposite, but valuation similar, where Yaesu/Vertex/Standard are the General Motors used cars of the marketplace. Everyone wants Motorola like they want the Toyotas and Hondas because they run well, last a long time, and they ultimately cost less because they don't depreciate.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2008, 04:05:10 PM »

The new Motorola stuff I worked on was junk compared to the older stuff that was built with pride. It carried the big price too
WA3VJB
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2008, 04:10:21 PM »

Wonder if they're riding on past fame & fortune then ?

Newest I've personally got is 15 years old, but everyone and their sister in Washington is running Motorola. I come across probably a couple dozen different police, fire and security agencies every week and get a gander at their gear.

* good belt.jpg (40.42 KB, 350x263 - viewed 364 times.)
Art
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2008, 04:49:41 PM »

"Wonder if they're riding on past fame & fortune then ?"

One can only observe current indicators to understand the effectiveness of management in the relatively recent past (aka Emperor Chris' dynasty. Ref. "the emperor has no clothes"). If you mark the current price of Motorola to market for a company with the growth prospects it has the stock is worth about $3 a share. The only thing keeping it propped up is history.

-ap
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2008, 12:14:48 PM »

One buddy who stayed there was just layed off two weeks ago after 29 years. A talented RF engineer but he has no degree.

Nothing wrong with having a degree, but sometimes it doesn't mean squat.

My father-in-law moved from England to MA sometime in the late 50's to work for Raytheon.  He didn't have a degree, just some military experience as a young man in the UK.  They were badly in need of radar engineers, so they made the inter-continental relocation worth his while.  He  stayed with the company until he retired about 15 years ago; his last major job was with the Pave Paws project on Cape Cod, and he is now enjoying a very comfortable retirement.

My sister-in-law is a software engineer, and is now a  self-employed consultant.  She has only a HS degree, and got all her technical education via OJT with Digital before they went belly-up years ago.  She makes substantially more money than a lot of people with university degrees in technical fields.

I have a BA degree, but my income has never equalled theirs.  The main reason is that only once in my life did I ever move to take a job, and I regretted that afterwards.  I always preferred to choose where I wanted to live and then take whatever job I could find in the local area.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015