The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:48:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Communications Receivers  (Read 13312 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« on: September 27, 2007, 05:12:06 PM »

A little new and covers modern designs and stuff like DSP, but a great book to learn about receiver design:

Communications Receivers by Ulrich Rohde and Jerry Whitaker

I think it's up to the 3rd Edition by now but any of them are good.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 12:46:49 PM »

Dr. Rohde died a few years ago but his son Ulrich is also very sharp. I've had a number of emails on SDR with him and he is a cool guy.
He joined HPSDR a while ago and springs a schematic on us once and a while. I've gone through a pile of 2N5109s building Rohde circuits but like the grounded base push pull Norton the best by Lankford.
The old Ham Radio articles go back to the '70s long before anybord was into real high performance.
Also my RX hero......but Jay W1VD taught me how to measure dynamic range 30 years ago.
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 06:27:56 PM »

Speaking of the grounded base Norton...take a look at the supply current while running  blocking and IMD DR tests...no wonder it's reluctant to crunch.

In the RX guru department, don't forget Sabin...he was well ahead of his time. Have a bunch of his hand drawn schematics and notes on high DR solid state receivers from the early 70s. He got it.   

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 12:49:08 PM »

Yes Sabin was also one of the early guys looking to make solid state outperform tubes. It is interesting to see the performance changes with WJ in the 70 and Racal, Cubic and Harris in the 80s.
The thing that really gets me is these rice box and SDR people wanting to change testing standards rather than building a better mouse trap.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015