The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:32:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Couch Potato Time - For "The War" effort.  (Read 36106 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2007, 12:07:18 PM »

Among the most striking things about WWII is almost everyone in the US was connected to it, most in a very real way, but even the kids were collecting scrap.

That is why there are so few surviving Model T's and other vintage cars.  Before the war they were abundant and seen on the  roads every day. But after Pearl Harbor you couldn't get tires, spare parts were in short supply, and gas was rationed, so many people sold or gave away their ageing cars that were sitting idle, even though they still capable of running OK, as scrap metal to help the war effort.

I wonder how much vintage radio stuff, particularly transformers, met similar fate?

My grandparents couldn't get metal screen wire for their screened-in porch during the war, so they had to settle for plastic screen instead.  Interestingly, that plastic screen lasted until the early 60's when real metal screen would have long since rusted away.

There is a wartime issue of QST that has pictures of panel meters all over the front cover.  The signal corps was begging amateurs to donate panel meters for the war effort.  I understand they took in some commercially built transmitters and even well-built homebrew ones early on as well, but I'm not sure what they used them for.

The entire world was a far different place after the War than it was pre-WW2.  Vintage radio gives some prime examples.

I have a vague recollection of attending a big night-time V-J Day celebration with my family, at age 3.  Probably my earliest real recollection of a past event.

BTW, if you missed an episode of The War, PBS is re-running it in weekly episodes.  It starts to-night on our local station.  They ran it twice a day, back to back every night.  I have never seen them offer such blanket coverage of a program in the past.  There is no reason for anyone in the country to miss a single episode.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA1GFZ

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2007, 12:12:45 PM »

Tom you hit the nail on the head. Latest batch of leaders were not around for nam so are clueless.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2007, 12:47:56 PM »

the country is being run by the military-industrial complex as Eisenhower warned it would be in 1961. To profit from war, one must always make sure there is a state of war.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJrnWND5mTo
WA1GFZ

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2007, 12:51:53 PM »

today's veto sends that one home Derb.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2007, 07:11:54 PM »

It's all a big conspiracy. If you don't agree, you are either naive or in on it.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2007, 07:27:52 PM »

Just ask Irb.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2007, 07:54:58 PM »

Grin Grin Exactly!

Just ask Irb.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2007, 08:02:49 PM »

I just researched the grave of Irb's younger brother Bob who was killed in The War:

AMERICAN BATTLE MONUMENTS COMMISSION

Robert E. Richardt
Private First Class, U.S. Army
Service # 42006450
104th Infantry Regiment, 26th Infantry Division 
Entered the Service from: New Jersey
Died: 12-Nov-44
Buried at: Plot A Row 29 Grave 52
Lorraine American Cemetery
St. Avold, France 
Awards: Purple Heart

* 2006_0311Image120.JPG (126.14 KB, 640x480 - viewed 476 times.)

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2007, 11:55:31 PM »

I enjoyed it, but I still think the Civil War was better.

I like that flag. I've had time enough to wonder what I want on my tombstone when the day comes. I think I'd like my call letters and that I was a radio repairman who saved radio history so others could enjoy it.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2007, 12:09:48 AM »

"  who saved radio history so others could enjoy it. "

Don't forget to add that you controlled the laws of physics....... klc

What? Me worry?
W2JBL

« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2007, 01:09:40 AM »

well iv'e watched most of it, and the personal interviews, in particular the "New York at War" segments hit pretty close to home. one of the women interviewed worked the USO gig at the Hotel Carlisle in Manhattan with my mother, who met/captured my father there at a USO dance. after that Dad was out landing men and equipment on an LSM in the Pacific at some of the same stops as Frank GFZ's father, who i beleive was on an LST. good TV for a change, and history that needs to be remembered. Tom- interesting finding Irb's brother, as it gives closure to all his rants about the war and his bitterness over the loss. Dad is out in the military cemetary at Calverton L.I. now, and i recently discovered his LSM went on to serve for the Australians in Viet Nam, and commercial service until sinking in the very waters it invaded in the Phillipines in 1984. 

W1GFH
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2007, 01:27:08 AM »

The only WWII era military gear I have is a BC-779. The serial tag on the front panel says "L.S.D. Serial No. 171".  I know it wasn't used by Timothy Leary, and I often wondered if the LSD stood for a Navy Landing Ship, Dock (LSD) craft.  Or maybe LSD was some kind of rear-echelon deal.

Least Separation Distance
Large Scale Display
Logistic Support Detachment
Logistics Support. Directorate
Low Speed Data Channel

Anyone have any clues? It would be "neat" (as Wally and The Beave used to say) if my guy saw action in the Big One.

* 779tag.jpg (330.1 KB, 636x580 - viewed 490 times.)
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2007, 06:04:17 AM »

Don't forget to add that you controlled the laws of physics

Hell, I do that every time I stand up without falling.  Cheesy
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2007, 09:37:41 AM »

the country is being run by the military-industrial complex as Eisenhower warned it would be in 1961. To profit from war, one must always make sure there is a state of war.

Oceania is at war with Eurasia.  Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2007, 10:12:02 AM »

On the flip-side of Robert's memorial stone at Irb's farm is Irb himself.  I spotted this while at Irb's estate auction:

* 2007_0505Image0011.JPG (485.95 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 472 times.)

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2007, 12:12:51 PM »

a novel way of recycling granite. I did not know Irb was so green.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2007, 12:46:16 PM »

its cheaper when you buy in bulk...............klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015