The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:55:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Philo T. Farnsworth - Inventor of Electronic Television  (Read 7000 times)
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« on: September 05, 2007, 03:31:41 PM »

If you love tube-type electronics and stories about the early inventors, as I do, you will love reading about Philo T. Farnsworth.  Farnsworth led a fantastic life, sometimes incredibly successful, sometimes very tragic, but always very fascinating.  Learning about this man may change some of your views and/or pre-concieved notions about such icons as David Sarnof and Vladimir Zworykin whom have previously been given much of the credit for inventing TV.  Farnsworth was truly a brilliant man who deserves a lot of credit for his multitude of fantastic achievements.

Books about Farnsworth that I have read and highly recommend are as follows:

Distant Vision : Romance and Discovery on The Invisible Frontier by Elma G. Farnsworth 1990.

This book written by Farnsworth's wife is a personal account of their lives and experiences during and after the time of the development of television.  It is a fantastic view of the trials and tribulations that they suffered and enjoyed.

The Last Lone Inventor: A Tale of Genius, Deceit, and the Birth of Television by Evan I. Schwartz 2003.

This book is a really interesting look at the struggle between Farnsworth and Sarnof and is essentially, a biography of both of their lives.  It gives a really interesting view that, perhaps, you have not previously heard about.

The Story of Television by George Everson 1949

An interesting account of Farnsworth's invention written by one of his close associates.

Philo T. Farnsworth was truly an exceptional individual, who has been a hero of mine since I was a kid.  He lived in Fort Wayne, Indiana for many years and I lived only a few blocks from his house.  I never had the opportunity to meet or talk with him, but I have always been in awe of his accomplishments.  I hope that by reading and learning a little about this man, you might also recognize his greatness.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 04:01:19 PM »

A very good book I read on television 10 years ago, a new book at the time is:

Tube: The Invention of Television by David E. Fisher and Marshall Jon Fisher.

ISBN 1-887178-17-1

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015