The AM Forum
April 17, 2024, 08:54:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yogie visits work today  (Read 8879 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: September 07, 2007, 08:42:28 AM »

Well I came in early this morning and just found out there was a good sized bear hanging around the parking lot.....asked boss to order us .45s I was the first one in our lot this morning....that would have interesting if Yogie spotted my lunch.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 10:49:35 AM »

Try a .458 Lott

500-grain bullets at 2,300-fps muzzle velocity measured from a 24-inch barrel

it'll keep bambi away, also .............  klc

* RSbuff_1124B.jpg (8.06 KB, 420x193 - viewed 471 times.)

What? Me worry?
KL7OF

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 12:22:03 PM »

Try living across the road from a salmon cannery.....338 Win Mag is the weapon of choice for killing grizz altho a .22 long rifle will get them away from the smoke house.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 01:44:39 PM »

I'd like something heavy and slow to get them where they live....

GRIZ??  the bear may crap in the woods, I'd crap if I saw one up close.....   

I  drove by the Salmon River, Guess that don't count................   klc

What? Me worry?
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 02:14:53 PM »

I'd like something heavy and slow to get them where they live....

GRIZ??  the bear may crap in the woods, I'd crap if I saw one up close.....   

I  drove by the Salmon River, Guess that don't count................   klc

Take all of your fancy schmancy magnums and leave um in the closet!! If I have to get real up-close and personal with Mr. Bear, at close range NOTHING short of large military stuff has the knock down power of a 12Ga shotgun slug!! A full ounce of lead at close range will definately "Git er done"!!

( now where's that bag of charcoal) Grin   
                                                                               The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 03:47:50 PM »

One morning a few years back, a buddy gave me a call around 7A... Seems he nailed a black bear in the chest cavity 2X with 12 ga punkin balls (slugs)... The bear got mad and bit a tree. After promising me that he'd let me run away first, I grabbed a .308 and went to help. The bear had traveled close to a mile, lung shot. He was easy to track. Got him in the neck and ended it. 5"10" head to but. They don't drag easy. 1st and last  bear adventure....  ( not counting the one in the neighbors backyard). Like I said earlier, something heavy; the slow part is relative -  you want the round to hold together during penetration.

As with many things in life, placement is what counts. Bob was an excelent shot. He missed the heart and major arteries leading to the heart as the bear was walking towards him. Bear fat is great for the hands, keeps em soft.   klc

What? Me worry?
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 12:21:34 AM »

Yea, but he was already half dead!! Did he use the round balls or the cylindridal slugs?
the slugs tumble and rip out lots of meat.

I hate when the round doesnt hold together during penetration!! Grin Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 12:47:24 AM »

7/8 oz rifled slug ( thats the punkin thing) ... he had a sweet Remington 870 w/ slug barel and a 2x scope on it..... nice for short range.  The shotgun was 'walked' through the assembly line by one of the factory workers so it was almost hand made...tiger wook stock... klc at least the parts fit real well....  but I digress.... No, the bar wasn't half ded when he shot it...  maybee when I got to it, I think after he poped it 2x and it got mad he wanted some back up....   klc

What? Me worry?
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 11:07:44 AM »

kc said:
No, the bar wasn't half ded when he shot it...  maybee when I got to it, I think after he poped it 2x and it got mad he wanted some back up

Maybe a 375 H&H would have done the trick. That's what my friend uses for 'removing' groundhogs from their existance;)

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 12:38:39 PM »

You guys really get bang out of them there guns... Grin

The thing to do when a bear invades a business is to give the bear an employment application and tell him you'll give him a call.  The bear will be halfway home before realizing that it has no phone.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 01:20:46 PM »

"  The bear will be halfway home before realizing that it has no phone. "

Bacon, thes is modern times... the bar carries his cell when he goes out....   ..klc

What? Me worry?
W4EWH

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 02:45:54 PM »

The thing to do when a bear invades a business is to give the bear an employment application and tell him you'll give him a call.  The bear will be halfway home before realizing that it has no phone.

It's easier to just baptize him. After that, you'll only see him on Easter and Christmas Eve.  Wink

BTW, my brother claims to have put another page in the Arctic survival manual while in the Air Force: he suggested that if a Polar Bear were to come at you, it would be best to shoot it with a Very pistol, since arctic wildlife would be most terrified by a lot of heat. I don't know if he's pulling my leg, but he told me that they tested and adopted the change.

Bill W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 03:05:06 PM »

" it would be best to shoot it with a Very pistol, "

back to the 12 ga.? ..........  yeah the bar starts to flame

I dont know 'bout the baptism.....  thay always nockin on doors......  I usta live in a 'lower income'/ transient area and found all sorts of junk pushed under the door....   

A short story... a minister I know of didn't want to be rude to a particular door nocker - being in the same field- so would visit with the person when she showed up. She ( the minister) had a baby living at the parsonage while the mom had some medical stuff being taken care of.... Anyway, the door nocker had seen the baby, and thought the minister had a kid.  The next time around she noticed the baby wasn't there. She asked about the baby.. The minister said that " the baby refused to accept Jesus, so they gave it away....."  No more visits from the doo nocker ..........   a true story ........ klc

What? Me worry?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 08:36:08 PM »

well walking into work all I had was my lunch and a coffee. glad I didn't see him. I walk through 100 yards of wooks to get to out building. It is a nice paved path.
w5omr

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 02:16:22 PM »

It's easier to just baptize him. After that, you'll only see him on Easter and Christmas Eve.  Wink

Dunno about that.  More like he'd kneel to say

"Bless us, oh lord, and these thy gifts..."

before he eats yer butt!

Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015