The AM Forum
April 17, 2024, 09:35:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WOWO Legend Bob Sievers, W9FJT passes away at Age 90  (Read 3893 times)
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« on: September 06, 2007, 07:26:09 AM »

Those of you who have listened to WOWO, 1190 in Fort Wayne will certainly remember hearing "Mr. WOWO".  Bob was a local icon and was known world-wide for his powerful booming voice and wonderful personality.  He was one of the famous "fabulous four" DJs in the 50's and 60's and the morning top dog on The Little Red Barn Show and one of the nicest guys on the planet.  He was on WOWO for a total of over 71 years. W9 "Fifty Jumping Tigers" was an active AMer for many years with an AM KW and was frequently heard on 75M on the weekends.  He died Monday morning at the age of 90.  Now a silent modulator, but certainly not to be forgotten. Funeral will be in Fort Wayne on Friday.  Details on the WOWO web-site:

http://www.wowo.com/Programs/BobSieversMemorial/tabid/95/Default.aspx

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 10:10:59 AM »

He made it a good stretch, Jack. Nine decades, no small feat.

Was thinking about WOWO last night actually, wondering if any of their old broadcasts from when they were a strapper are available. Were they one of the original clear channel power houses? I know the came into the hills of Vermont quite nicely at night.

May he rest in peace -

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 10:57:31 AM »

I can remember listening to WOWO in the late 60's as a little kid riding in the back of my Dads brand new Chevy Impala Convertible.

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »

He made it a good stretch, Jack. Nine decades, no small feat.

Was thinking about WOWO last night actually, wondering if any of their old broadcasts from when they were a strapper are available. Were they one of the original clear channel power houses? I know the came into the hills of Vermont quite nicely at night.

May he rest in peace -

Yes, Todd, WOWO was truly a powerhouse (50KW directional NE at night).  I believe they were protecting a station on the west coast, so they weren't truly "clear channel".  They were, however, one of the best known and widely listened to stations in the country.  Being in the Fort Wayne area all of my life, I grew up listening to them.

Bob Sievers was just a super nice fellow, who was genuinely sincere in everything he said and did.  I remember one time when he spoke at our local radio club banquet....he could just hold an audience spellbound and make them feel like personal friends of his.  He will be missed, but certainly fondly remembered.

Check at the WOWO site, they may have old recordings available.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 05:58:16 PM »

WOWO strapped over most of the easten US back in the day. Things change and not always for the better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015