The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:50:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maryland, my Maryland  (Read 39339 times)
WA3VJB
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2007, 01:09:33 PM »

Tom may not have been in the Takoma Park market for a while, because the real estate agents these days are making a Very Big Deal out of the fact Takoma Park has an ordinance on the books making it a NUCLEAR FREE ZONE.

http://www.takomaparkmd.gov/committees/nfz/nftpcord.htm

That'll be good for yer kids, besides being close to schools and shopping.

http://www.takomaparkmd.gov/committees/nfz/nftpc.htm

Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2007, 12:04:03 PM »

Hey there, Young Mr. Raide.  Congratulations!  We are going to miss you though here in Finger Lakes Land.

All the best!

K2VHerb

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2007, 02:57:45 PM »

Mike,
       Congrads on the move, and I still have a Cardwell "condenshure" with your name on it. Let me know when you'd like to get together on it, or email me at my regular email address.

Hope to mod-u-later, with a little wiggle in your signal and class A audio modulating your oscillator OM!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2007, 06:55:58 PM »

Tom may not have been in the Takoma Park market for a while, [...]

Note on Tacoma Park, be sure you are aware of all of the extra taxes you will be assessed living there.  I have not verified, but I have been told that Tacoma Park residents pay an extra (or perhaps just notably higher) city property tax and a city income tax.

Also, Tacome Park is not that close to Columbia.  And, depending on where you live in it, does not have convenient access to the Beltway.  Though a Northbound commute is quite quick daily.  I used to drive from Silver Spring, MD (N tip of DC) to Hunt Valley, MD (N of Baltimore) every day for over 2 years and it rarely took me over an hour.

David, K3TUE
WA3VJB
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2007, 04:46:15 AM »

David how close is that new Intercounty Connector going to be to you ? The state sure has made a lot of promises to shove that through. Have the bulldozers started blasting the trees for THAT project yet ? Ugh. Just pave everything and make it look like Los Angeles. It's like recommending a larger belt for the fat man instead of weight control.

I always thought Takoma Park was a neat area, but that was as a non-taxpayer.  We have a similar dual tax town around here, Crofton. It's another "planned" community like Columbia, but without the high crime. Columbia has an association fee of some kind, but Crofton has a designation as an "independent tax district," which means that plus county taxes.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2007, 06:25:56 AM »

Mike,

I lived in Columbia over 25 years. Beware, some of the old eastern village centers have become crime and drug areas. They were turning bad in 1998 when moved to west virginia.

I recommend southern Carroll Co. for a good place to live.
2ZE
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2007, 09:13:48 AM »

I recommend southern Carroll Co. for a good place to live.

Tnx Derb. Everyone I have spoken to said that Columbia is a good place to work, but horrible to live.
I am driving down with Kim tomorrow to go house hunting with the realtor Thurs. PM and all day Friday, driving back on Saturday. We have lined up a bunch of houses ranging from Pasadena in AA co. to south Hampstead to Sykesville and Mt Airy in Carroll co. Realtor recommends Carroll co. too if I can stand the commute, because it will build equity fast.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2007, 03:14:40 PM »

"  No outdoor grilling, in deference to your vegetarian neighbors.  "

When I worked nights, I'd crack open a beer and throw a steak on the grill at 7:30 AM. The neighboors always left me alone..... 

As for deference to the vegan neighbors, MY religion causes me to offer animal sacrafice to the gods... This can be accomplished by burning on the grill or, by placing chicken bones at the corners of the property.  You can read entrails when they have company so as to know if the guests are evil or not....  klc

What? Me worry?
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2007, 11:16:50 PM »

these are some ideas floated even if never implemented:

No outdoor grilling, in deference to your vegetarian neighbors

Ah yes. A whiff of my slow-cooked smoked ribs on the grill would cause even the most hard core vegetarian to have second thoughts about their diet...
..and drool on their shoes.
Can't have that!
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2007, 11:52:49 AM »

Only problem I have when grilling is keeping the neighbors away !!
They line up with plates in hand. Too bad it's against state law for individuals to  SELL venison. I'd make a killing
 Grin

* Gods Creatures.jpg (59.68 KB, 668x374 - viewed 1146 times.)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2007, 01:41:14 PM »

* 085-080-01-castro.jpg (16.85 KB, 225x310 - viewed 1170 times.)

What? Me worry?
W3LSN

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2007, 03:11:09 PM »

I have been making rumblings about it on the air, and made it official yesterday. I have accepted a new offer for a new job and me and the miss' will be packin' up and moving to Maryland. Where yet is TBD, but my last day on the job here is 10/5, and I start there 10/15.
Now I have no excuse to go to gaitherburg, howard co., or whatever the hell its called.

Mike W2ZE - soon to be /3.

As others have mentioned, Columbia is a planned community purposely situated to be equidistant between DC and Balto, and pretty much in the middle of central MD.

I live in western Montgomery County, but you'll probably find the real estate situation anywhere in Montgomery to be too rich for your blood. A couple of acres and a 3000 sqft house can't be touched for less than 750k on up here.

Your agent seems to be steering you correctly to the locations you mention. I think you'll find something pretty quickly to the west or northwest of Baltimore. The area on a veritcal axis from Westminster to Damascus is still reasonably priced and within good commuting range of Columbia. That would be most of Carroll, the western part of Howard, and eastern Frederick Counties. I don't have any commuting experience from the areas east of Balto such as Anne Arundel and Prince Georges county, but as a general rule I would suggest staying away from PG. It's too closely emulates the urban problems of nearby DC and is congested.

Another area to consider is southern PA between Hannover and Gettysburg. Pretty country, housing is cheaper than in MD, but the commute will be a little longer.

In my experience, before buying, I would take a motel room near the town you're considering and try to commute to your workplace to get a feel for the morning rush hour traffic.

73, Jim
WA2AJM/3
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2007, 03:16:56 PM »

Beware, some of the old eastern village centers have become crime and drug areas.

Can you say Oakland Mills? That area was mostly OK when I lived there in the 80's. Now it's a dump!
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2007, 08:14:04 PM »

these are some ideas floated even if never implemented:

No outdoor grilling, in deference to your vegetarian neighbors

Ah yes. A whiff of my slow-cooked smoked ribs on the grill would cause even the most hard core vegetarian to have second thoughts about their diet...
..and drool on their shoes.
Can't have that!

"Save dem bones for Henry Jones, I wanna eat some meat"!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2007, 09:17:54 AM »

Quote from: Vortex Joe - N3IBX link=topic=11995.msg87864#msg87864
"Save dem bones for Henry Jones, I wanna eat some meat"!
[/quote

The closer the bone, the sweeter the meat.
Dontcha know.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2007, 09:49:11 AM »

yeh, oakland mills is now home to drugs, thugs, and guns.
2ZE
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »

had a great time at the slab bacon's last night! Fine eats, finer company. Carol and Frank made us feel right at home. swapping stories with 3885 in the background, nothin' better!
Thanks to Slab, and Carol!

Mike
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2007, 08:53:43 AM »

No thanks necessary, we enjoyed having youse guys!!

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015