The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:29:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maryland, my Maryland  (Read 39341 times)
2ZE
« on: September 05, 2007, 09:21:57 AM »

I have been making rumblings about it on the air, and made it official yesterday. I have accepted a new offer for a new job and me and the miss' will be packin' up and moving to Maryland. Where yet is TBD, but my last day on the job here is 10/5, and I start there 10/15.
Now I have no excuse to go to gaitherburg, howard co., or whatever the hell its called.

Mike W2ZE - soon to be /3.

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 09:25:34 AM »

I guess the coin came up heads again!! Cool Cool

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 09:29:39 AM »

Where abouts?
2ZE
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 09:48:46 AM »

The job is with iBiquity digital corp. (the evil empire to some folks on this board Roll Eyes), and they are located in Columbia, Md. I am already faced with the idea of a long commute (45min or so), as I told the realtor that I need at least 1/2 acre, and not too close to other houses. I am looking at a couple of places in Carroll co., and Arundel co. We'll just have to see where, but I will dark (off the air) untill then. All my crap is going to my OM place, we'll see how much he "borrows" when I come back up to claim it. Wink

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 10:11:56 AM »

If you are jonesin and need that fix, I know where it can be had Grin Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 11:36:37 AM »

It's a small world.

We might very well be working together on digital radio projects in the future.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 02:24:26 PM »

Go for Carroll county. Most of AA county is over run, except for the southern part and that would make for a nasty drive to Columbia. And you don't want to live anywhere near VJB!

For the above info, I would like a free IBOC generator for my AM ham rig. The digital sidebands should be good for smashing slopbuckets.

Good luck with the move.

The job is with iBiquity digital corp. (the evil empire to some folks on this board Roll Eyes), and they are located in Columbia, Md. I am already faced with the idea of a long commute (45min or so), as I told the realtor that I need at least 1/2 acre, and not too close to other houses. I am looking at a couple of places in Carroll co., and Arundel co. We'll just have to see where, but I will dark (off the air) untill then. All my crap is going to my OM place, we'll see how much he "borrows" when I come back up to claim it. Wink

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 03:07:34 PM »

Mike, OUTSTANDING!  Glad to see you'll be a neighbor.

I live in Carroll county, Mt. AIry area.  Prolly a half hour-45 mins to Columbia.  But there are other nice areas farther east in Carroll cty.

PM me if you want, we can discuss on the hnyellophone or on the air  Smiley

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 03:47:31 PM »

Go for Carroll county. Most of AA county is over run, except for the southern part and that would make for a nasty drive to Columbia. And you don't want to live anywhere near VJB!

For the above info, I would like a free IBOC generator for my AM ham rig. The digital sidebands should be good for smashing slopbuckets.

Good luck with the move.

Steve:

It's good that Ibquity is hiring someone with a good knowledge of RF.
IMO it's about time they had a tube thumper on the staff; the insight could be beneficial re interference issues.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 04:03:22 PM »

Mike,
Congrats on the new job.  It's a big step but I'm willing to bet you'll be AOK and won't regret it in the long run.  At first you might as you might feel like a big fish out of water but as time goes on things will fall into place and you'll feel that you made the right choice.  I wish you and your family the best. Good luck
Bob

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
WA3VJB
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 04:29:59 PM »

And you don't want to live anywhere near VJB!

Hey Cue Ball get your kid out of my brand-new television set !
He's sounding like a high def CBer in there, caw maw, and I'm calling the police.

wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 07:20:58 PM »

Hey mike, congrats on the new job. picking up and moving is a pain,
(just ask me  Smiley  your still within radio range of east-coast radio.
its a bit tough sometimes from way out here. reminds me the monsoon/lightning season is about over here. time to reconnect
up the vertical array!  deano

am forever!
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 07:30:53 PM »

Just about time to re-connect the feeders here, too, Deano.
k3zrf

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 07:38:32 PM »

Hey Mike, welcome to '3' land. We can always use another AM signal from this sector. Warmer down here anyway.

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 08:03:51 PM »

I told the realtor that I need at least 1/2 acre, and not too close to other houses. I am looking at a couple of places in Carroll co., and Arundel co.

Be sure to add as a condition for purchase, no deed restrictions or zoning ordinances that would prevent your putting up an effective antenna, and have it put into writing in the contract.  Preferably no HOA to have to deal with.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
2ZE
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 08:17:13 PM »

IMO it's about time they had a tube thumper on the staff; the insight could be beneficial re interference issues.

When I interviewed, thats one of the main reasons they were looking. Also, they wanted someone who has been in the "trenches" so to speak. as they move forward, iBiquity wants to make improvements that make sense to an engineer at station level.

I appreciate everyone's well wishes. To be honest with everyone i'm still uneasy about it all, but as ZGC told me, change happens in life; but this is change that I can control.
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 08:45:57 PM »

Welcome.  I've been here 8 years now and have yet to be kicked out.  I think you'll like it.

David, K3TUE
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 09:10:09 PM »

When I interviewed, thats one of the main reasons they were looking. Also, they wanted someone who has been in the "trenches" so to speak. as they move forward, iBiquity wants to make improvements that make sense to an engineer at station level.

I appreciate everyone's well wishes. To be honest with everyone i'm still uneasy about it all, but as ZGC told me, change happens in life; but this is change that I can control.

Mike, you'll do just fine.

All of the broadcasters have bet the fort on the success of digital broadcasting (and being able to get the bugs out of it), so you have our support 1000%. It's not going away anytime soon; frankly, if we all can't make this digital transition work out, radio is going to be in deep doo-doo because there's no other alternatives to compete with the new media out there.

Me, I'm a radio dude, and I want broadcasting to survive in this 21st century.

Another way to look at it is that analog radio, both AM and FM, need digital to work for survival, or we're going the way of spark and LP records.

Ibquity does need someone like yourself that understands AM and life in the trenches to work with their computer geeks.

I was responsible for implementing the first FM digital multicasting here in Denver, it's been a long haul..I had to apply for an experimental license from the FCC. And iBquity sent a couple of their software dudes out here to see the pragmatic details. We all learned something from each other, but it's a lot harder (I think impossible- LOL!)to train a computer geek in broadcasting, AM and FM, than it is to train an RF guy in software. That's where your niche wil probably be, and it should be fine.

bill
2ZE
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 09:24:52 AM »

Be sure to add as a condition for purchase, no deed restrictions or zoning ordinances that would prevent your putting up an effective antenna, and have it put into writing in the contract.  Preferably no HOA to have to deal with.

Don,
That was the first stipulation I made to the realtor, the 2nd being at least 1/2 acre. I don't care so much about a commute as I have a lengthy one now, or if the house is a fixer upper. I need to be on the air, and not in some self imposed radio quiet zone.
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 07:42:48 PM »

but my last day on the job here is 10/5, and I start there 10/15.
Hey, Mike, I hope this means you'll be able to come up to New Hampshire on the 12th and party with us at Deerfield!

MisterMike

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
Dave KA2J
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2007, 10:19:49 PM »

Hey Mike!  Congratulations on the new job!  It sounds pretty exciting and I give you a lot of credit for making the decision.  I know you'll do great.  It should be a great adventure!

Dave KA2J
WA3VJB
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2007, 06:23:57 AM »

have it put into writing in the contract.
This is real important. They will tell you anything.

Out where you're looking, there were some people who bought into a new development that had been marketed with a "Clarksville" address.

The post office did not agree and never did, and these people got the hated "Columbia" mailing address instead. That's a high-crime, deteriorating part of Howard County, leftovers of a failed "planned community" where everything sinks to the lowest socio-economic strata.

It's now a haven for drug lords from both Baltimore and Washington, nice.

SO anyway these people were planning on filing suit for the disputed value of the mailing address that was part of their home sale. I don't remember the resolution, but it was funny to those of us from that area who predicted the blight of Columbia when the bulldozers started blasting the trees clear to homogenize the landscape in the 1960s.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2007, 08:53:18 AM »

Don,
That was the first stipulation I made to the realtor, the 2nd being at least 1/2 acre. I don't care so much about a commute as I have a lengthy one now, or if the house is a fixer upper. I need to be on the air, and not in some self imposed radio quiet zone.

Mike, I don't know what your price range is but there's a house not too far from me I saw advertised in the local paper as an "Assist to Sell" that was 5 acres, nice high alitiude, for $515K "bring any offer".  You can view it here:  http://www.drodio.com/maryland-real-estate/mount-airy/3908-boteler-rd-mount-airy-md-21771-cr6152575.php

Around here there are any number of houses with a 1/2 acre to an acre for the mid 300s.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
2ZE
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2007, 09:11:44 AM »

Around here there are any number of houses with a 1/2 acre to an acre for the mid 300s.

Thats about the range. While I know I can afford it, I'm still skiddish about a mortgage that high. The house I'm in now is, well.... a dump, but the mortgage is real low. I just know that I am going to have to carry that mortgage for awhile, but not forever.
W3TDH

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2007, 11:04:49 AM »

Mike
I live in Montgomery County Maryland right up against the District of Columbia.  The city is lovingly known as the Peoples Republic of Takoma Park.  If I can be of any help to you in your move you have but to ask.  I own a half ton van and I have family in Massachusetts.  Since I'm self employed as an electrician I'm in charge of my own schedule.  I have a forty two foot tower, a 10,15,20 beam and a 10,15,20 quad I'll let you have cheap.  For a pizza and a few diet root beers I'll even help you put them up. 
--
Tom Horne
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015