The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:23:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning copper tarnish from stranded wire. Ideas?  (Read 11459 times)
W1VD
Contributing

« on: December 15, 2008, 05:21:09 PM »

Ice damage to antennas necessitates quick and dirty 'on tower' repairs to limp through winter until better repairs can be made in the spring.

Problem: #14 stranded copper antenna wire is tarnished. Steel wool, sandpaper or even a dip in TarnX only remove outer tarnish leaving inner strand surfaces tarnished and unable to accept solder. Ordinary electrical and plumbing flux doesn't get the job done. Seem to recall a yellow liquid flux from many years ago that might work on this sort of problem...but probably no longer readily available.

Ideas?  Environmentally friendly materials are not a requirement.  Wink         

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
KL7OF

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 05:37:52 PM »

stainless steel solder flux if you must solder......try kearney clamps instead...
K1ZJH

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 06:11:25 PM »

Electrical split bolts, aka Burndy's:  http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/burndy-split-bolt-connector-run-conductor-range-alcu-p-22295.html?ref=42

Smallest size is great for #14 antenna wire.

Pete
WB2YGF
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 06:54:58 PM »

One leg of the solid copper ladder line on my cheap G5RV broke at the feed point.  Fortunately, I was able to scrape at the stranded copper-weld antenna wire with the sharp edge of a pair of diagonal cutters and managed to make a connection.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 07:16:31 PM »

Agreed!
Split bolts are the way to go. Strong as heck.
I haven't soldered my wire antennas for years.

I think Home Depot and Lowe's carry them as well as any electric supply house.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 08:05:44 PM »

Jay, vinegar works great. (leaves a nice smell too)
We wanted to clean one of our copper ground planes without having the safety police get on us for chemicals. One of the techs thought of it and gave it a try. It really works well.
Yes Home Depot has a good selection of those split bolts. I would also coat everything with no-ox.
I also avoid stranded wire. Someone once told me the twisting strands cause noise as they rub. Not sure if it is true but it sounded good. I like #10 or #8 solid myself.
BTW good double shielded mil coax has an insulator between shields for the same reason I was told.
VE1IDX

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 08:39:10 PM »

I dip the ends in muriatic acid for a couple seconds. Comes out clean and pinkish/coppery in color.Flush after with water and then solder. I keep a gallon of the stuff in the basement for cleaning copper and iron stains from hard water as wel as brick work. Ten bucks a gallon at the hardware store and FAAAARR better than CLR. Just watch out as it is VERY strong. It WILL eat clothes if left very long.  Shocked

Learn from others mistakes.You will never live long enough to make them all yourself.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 09:11:27 PM »

Marconi would approve of vinegar.

CLR works great in our SS dishwasher. It burns if you get it on yourself.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 09:15:05 PM »

"  dip the ends in muriatic acid for a couple seconds. "

FYI's... muriatic acid is a common name for hydrocloric acid, HCl.  Gud stuff to have around, plenty of uses.

klc

What? Me worry?
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 11:25:37 PM »

One might also consider using PC board etchant - aka ferric chloride - although it is slower than the acid.

After the acid, after the water wash, apply something mildly basic to neutralize. Or a mild solution of baking soda will do. Rinse... that ought to yield a ph neutral metal surface...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 11:27:25 PM »

Electrical split bolts, aka Burndy's:  http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/burndy-split-bolt-connector-run-conductor-range-alcu-p-22295.html?ref=42

Pete

AKA "bug nut".

Yipes! They want 17 Buck$ for ONE??? Shocked Shocked

Holy solder suckers batman!!

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KL7OF

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 03:01:05 AM »

kearneys........a bronze  "split bolt" with a bronze nut...available at all ace and true value, home depot, lowes....electrical supply houses..etc....about a buck fifty...for the big ones... the smaller ones go for 6 bits... takes two wrenches to install... they don't come off!
K1ZJH

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 09:04:32 AM »

Pete

AKA "bug nut".

Yipes! They want 17 Buck$ for ONE??? Shocked Shocked

Holy solder suckers batman!!

_-_-bear

I think the one in that ad is a large size.  That is a crazy price; my local
Graybar has them in bins in the front of the store.

Pete
K3ZS

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 01:55:10 PM »

This information provided here is very useful.    Trying to solder outside in the cold and wind is almost impossible, even with a gas powered iron.   The split bolt is what I am going to use next time.
W3NP
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 02:09:03 PM »

Yep - the split bolt is the way to go. I have been using them for at least 25 years. Even after years and years of being out in the wx, they come right off and can be used over and over. Worth their weight in gold when repairing an antenna leg that has come down in wintery conditions. 2 wrenches and about 5 minutes work (to sand and prep the ends) and you are ready to pull it back up.

---Dave  W3NP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015