The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:10:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antique Wireless Association Old Timers Bulletin (AWA OTB)  (Read 11610 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: August 30, 2007, 11:25:37 AM »

Another fantastic journal to have in your library. Published by the AWA for their members, there is an amazing amount of knowledge and information on old radios and amateur radio gear. It staggers the imagination, really. Excellent articles have been written on everything from the National HRO, to Marconi, to RCA, to.....well, if you can think of it, it's probably in there. Yearly 'Reviews' focus on specific manufacturers, events, and the individuals themselves.

To me, this is the most complete volume of radio history available - quite often through articles written by those involved in the history. 

These come up from time to time on ebay and elsewhere, and can sometimes be found at hamfests. Joining the AWA will insure that you continue to receive future copies, and give you better access to back issues.

Membership application is available online here:

http://www.antiquewireless.org/otb/memapp.htm

Or you can send mail to:

Antique Wireless Association, Inc.
P.O. Box 421
Bloomfield, New York 14469

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 12:29:45 PM »

Well, not really since it's merely a yearly OTB more focused and in depth, but I'm sure you'll enjoy listing it separately anyhow, Bruce. It's actually included in my posting, if you read it a bit more closely.

W1EUJ
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 12:54:29 PM »

You guys are funny...
W1UJR
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 01:01:10 PM »

Please feel free to combine both of our postings Todd.
You can list the OTB, Journal and Review in the title for clarity.  Cheesy

The Review is not always a summary of articles first published in the OTB or Journal, but is used for longer works.
Under the "Tips for Authors" section of the current Review, "In general, shorter articles can be submitted to the AWA Journal, and longer manuscripts to the AWA Review." Review articles are typically written much like formal research papers, listing references, appendices, and acknowledgments.

Both the OTB/Journal and the Review are excellent works and a "must have" for a vintage radio library.

73 Bruce W1UJR
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 01:22:32 PM »

No, actually I think David is right - it's far more entertaining the way it is. Had I known my original post from a week or so back would generate so much activity, I would've contacted Gary right then.

It's all good stuff, just wish there was more time to enjoy it. These books have been accumulating since the late 70s/early 80s, it's good to have a place to share their history and magic with others. There's a lot to be said for the benefits of reading a good book. All the better if it's radio-related.

There are 44 boxes currently sitting in the foyer awaiting a trip to storage. The vast majority are related to AM generally and old tube radios specifically. As Keith said in the original thread, the stuff needs to be saved. Scanning them all isn't an option, but giving folks a heads-up for what to seek out always seemed like a great idea. It's been done by others over the years, and is responsible for some of my favorite books.

More to come as time allows!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015