The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:05:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT R U USING IN UR AUDIO CHAIN?  (Read 23401 times)
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2007, 09:45:04 PM »

Jon.... I have a Bogan Amp ifn u want it Huh
Below the cart machine in the rack.

* bogan.jpg (41.9 KB, 328x600 - viewed 409 times.)
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2007, 02:14:44 AM »

Jon.... I have a Bogan Amp ifn u want it Huh
Below the cart machine in the rack.

Very nice looking rack.   I really do plan to build a replica of a Fender reverb unit using the reverb tank I got from N6DVD.  It's the right tank.   I think that's step one.

Jon
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2007, 11:35:02 AM »

AF chain in which rig?

I have such an "isochordic" (tm) voice, way too assymetrical, that the biggest difference in all my audio is switching the modulator plate leads on the 32V or HB 813/811's rig (or switching mike polarization in the TR7 and other 'closed' rigs;)  heh, heh.  I can't believe the diff. when looking at the scope.  - Clean peaks way over 150% with just as clean, very quick pinch-offs one way to almost dead flat carrier and mushy valleys, long troughs (neg. mod anyone?) the other way.

So my big dream "rig" would be to have a broadcaster's voice to start with.  Yeah, a complete makeover.....

Semi seriously, I've found that the ol' D104 with a MPF102 source follower and with 8 meg. gate loading (switchable from drain to source at same 4.7k "Z bybpass" if you want) yields pretty good audio.  Then I follow that with a little 3 or 5 band EQ to make up for screen bypasses in the xmitter and similar type lossy audio leaks 'n' peaks.

The next biggest improvement is simply grounding (big strap) any mike casing directly to the transmitter.  Eliminate all ground loops. Without 120 cycle supermod, everything sounds better.  I guess a lot of this is a given with much neater audio/RF chains following but it's amazing some of the simple things I forget to do after every big change in the shack.
The 'Tron, et. al. taught me well.

Yeah, do these little things and you too can Baxter proof yur audio.  Zounds! - thread leak.  Hmm, now where're my Cannon plug thingies?

RICK  *W3RSW*
WA1HZK

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2007, 02:29:40 PM »

RE20 Mic
to
Behringer Virtualizer Pro Digital Effects Processor
to
CBS Labs Volumax Automatic Peak Controller
to
CBS Labs Audiomax Automatic Level Controller
to
Tube Preamp, 845's, 833's, >>>> Your Radio

Hopefully you have a nice radio and feeding a good stereo and some ears that were not blown out of your head by a Chicago concert in the early 70's.
Keith
WA1HZK
Smiley

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2007, 03:14:18 PM »

There is something that I have observed with many stations running all of that "audio chain" processing gear.  When they get it all adjusted to where it sounds natural and the best, it sounds just like a D-104! 
Sometimes, when adjusted to their specifications, not as good as a D-104.

That's a good point, Jack. I've never been a fan of the outboard audio chain myself, but that will change when the 300G and future BC transmitters come online. I've accumulated most of the period pieces to go with the 300G, and since it was a commercial rig, it makes good sense. I know my current audio with the D-104 is lacking a bit in base, but that's the nature of the crystal D-104 and I'm fine with it.

And, while it's true that some folks can't set up their audio to save their lives(too much bass, too little midrange, too much/little whatever), most do an excellent job. WA3VJB always sounds great here, along with K4KYV, WA5AM (ex-W5AMI), 'QIX and others. Probably the best signal here comes from W2INR, though. When G keys up the big rig, band becomes completely still, followed by smooth, clean audio (after applying the trademark 'INR' tune up, of course).

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA3VJB
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2007, 11:14:56 PM »

It's the gear Todd.
Mike Dorrough KO6NM has got it figured out.
I sure wish he still produced this.

* 610A-CU.jpg (458.97 KB, 2592x1557 - viewed 453 times.)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2007, 08:58:28 AM »

Very nice looking rack.

Better watch who you say that to!
AF9J
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2007, 09:32:16 AM »

Hopefully you have a nice radio and feeding a good stereo and some ears that were not blown out of your head by a Chicago concert in the early 70's.
Keith
WA1HZK
Smiley

Chicago concert in the early 70s Keith?   Yeah and verily Wink   Even moreso - on stage while playing a gig with a band!  I'm sure Glenn NN4NY and the other musicians in the Forum can attest to this.  I just don't want to wind up like my Uncle Joe did from his band playing days - losing 70% of my hearing!  I played a bar gig, where the cops came to the bar because people could hear us across the river the bar was near, 1/2 mile away!  It turned out the sound man had the PA levels cranked for 120dB!

My audio chain at this time - primitive.  D-104 direct to a Globe Scout 680.  I may tweak it with time, and I may not (monitoring it, it sounds pretty good).  That mindset may come from my decades as a guitarist - I've reached the point where I've gotten tired of tons of outboard sound processing.  I prefer to use as little as possible to get a decent sound.

Ellen - AF9J
Frustrated with the line noise, and the band going long on 75 this morning
ve6pg

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2007, 12:06:43 PM »

...ELLEN...CAN YOU GO DOWN TO 3725ish?...I HEAR ALOT FROM UR AREA HERE...U SHUD TRY, IF U CAN...TIM...sk....

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
AF9J
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2007, 12:40:21 PM »

I'd love to Tim,

I just have to work on the VFO I won on ePay (it's a little ratty).  I plan on doing so today.  For now, I only have a 3885 crystal.  BTW, the Scout has its VFO interfaced to it through the crystal socket.  Does anybody have any idea what I can use to plug the leads into it (I don't have a spare FT-243 crystal case I can cannibalize for the job)?  PM or e-mail me with any suggestions you might have (I don't want to hijack this thread).

Ellen - AF9J
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2007, 02:32:25 PM »

I'd love to Tim,

I just have to work on the VFO I won on ePay (it's a little ratty).  I plan on doing so today.  For now, I only have a 3885 crystal.  BTW, the Scout has its VFO interfaced to it through the crystal socket.  Does anybody have any idea what I can use to plug the leads into it (I don't have a spare FT-243 crystal case I can cannibalize for the job)?  PM or e-mail me with any suggestions you might have (I don't want to hijack this thread).

Ellen - AF9J

Use a pair of 4-40 x 1/2" long machine screws for your crystal pins, Ellen. Solder the wires onto their heads. They'll fit perfectly.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015