The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 08:18:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K1MAN OPERATES ON TOP OF THE DX 60 NET  (Read 36394 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2007, 12:47:28 AM »

The ARRL has run those broadcasts since before broadcasting was outlawed, and before the FCC even existed.

Another widely-heard "broadcaster" is Vern, WA0RCR near St. Louis MO.  He sticks to one frequency, 1860 kHz, using a quarter wave vertical and substantial radial ground system, so he is heard all across N. America.  I can take some credit for his outstanding signal, since it was I who located the base insulator that he purchased to use with his Rohn 25G tower.

But I have heard very little in the way of complaints about Vern's broadcasts, and I don't think he has ever had any trouble with the FCC.

"Bulletin services" like those run by Vern, 'MAN and ARRL are clearly provided for in the rules, so no-one was "grandfathered".  Glenn was guilty of broadcasting material not specifically of interest to the amateur radio community, and of advertising various money-making schemes for his own financial gain, as well as violating the FCC's control-operator rules.

Interestingly, ARRL used to have "appointments" called OBS, "Official Bulletin Stations".  Back in the 30's they were called "Official Broadcast Stations".  These were other amateur stations located throughout the US, who re-broadcast ARRL bulletins to supplement W1AW's coverage.

Whether these are called "bulletins" or "broadcasts" is nothing beyond a matter of semantics and is therefore irrelevant.  They are legal as long as they are non-commercial in nature, without pecuniary interest, and primarily of interest to radio amateurs.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2007, 08:32:07 AM »

so no-one was "grandfathered".

Actually Don, the ARRL used that very term in a response to K1MAN's activities a few years back. But, as you point out, it is a mute point considering they're bulletins are within the scope of Part 97.

Vern is heard well here in 8 land during the 160 "season". His service is done quite well and I enjoy tuning in now and then. The fact that it's on 160 meters may be the reason no one really complaines about it. He might get a different response on 75/80 meters.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2007, 08:33:02 AM »

Just FWIW, I think that Glen has achived his goal one more time. He thrives on "stirring the pot" and getting everyones bowels in an uproar. Looks like he's succeded again!! Y'all are all pissing and moaning about him and starting to get at each others throats about it.  Let it go, and ignore him, when he finds that he isnt creating an issue, he'll prolly go away. I'm sure he reads this board. He's prolly reading this and laughing.

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2007, 09:00:19 AM »

And an outside speaker..

Kinda like erb.....  he just needs dishes........  klc
W3FJJ
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2007, 09:50:30 AM »

Is there anybody on this board in favor of the current rules that allow broadcasting on ham bands?
Personally, Id like to see the FCC change the rules so that broadcasting is only allowed in case of emergencies.
So good bye ARRL, code practice, MAN, the guy on 160, and rest. Is just not needed...
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2007, 10:29:35 AM »

Is there anybody on this board in favor of the current rules that allow broadcasting on ham bands?
Personally, Id like to see the FCC change the rules so that broadcasting is only allowed in case of emergencies.
So good bye ARRL, code practice, MAN, the guy on 160, and rest. Is just not needed...

I don't know about being 'in favor of it', but I suppose I'm not against it....
When implemented properly, of course.....

As far as automated, unattended transmissions go.... there's more than just these bulliten stations, there's also (and more problematic to some) is the digital stations.... yes, they are at least confined to a specific area of band.... but they are not on any kind of schedule.... they just pop up whenever....

The one way transmissions not needed...?. no of course not.... none are really needed since we have the internet......and email.....

I think the broadcasting that needs to be stopped is the fake QSOs between several notorious bible-thumpers.....

These guys pretend to be in QSO.... when indeed they are reading passages from the bible.... this is preaching, and as far as I'm concerned, is broadcasting subject matter that is not radio related, and is intended for the general public, not the others "in QSO".

After all, they're reading from the same book, so what use is it to readi it over the air to each other?

Oh well, I suppose that's way off subject, so I'll shut up now...........

Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2007, 11:06:03 AM »

Agree..... don't need it. Can you imagine a dozen hams broadcasting on 75 meters at the same time? could happen, after all it's legal, right?

if it was a question that was up for a vote, I'd vote yes to stop it all.

Mack    
AF9J
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2007, 11:53:35 AM »

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if the "allowed broadcasting" went away. 

Ellen - AF9J
KA1ZGC
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2007, 01:09:55 PM »

Maybe Riley enjoys the smell of burning Zulu Goat Cheese or the slinkie sound of 'Oh No Mr. BIL' here comes Sluggo K1MAN that he's just letting Baxter go for the laughs!?

Any particular reason you're resorting to personal attacks? Did I say something to offend you? Please explain if I did. Otherwise, it looks to me like you're just out to pick fights with people.

riley.hollingsworth@fcc.gov is the place to send your observations about K1MAN operations but don't hold your breath for a reply or any action. Maybe a flood of new emails to the correct place would push Riley into action for a change?

Already happened. The result was an NAL followed by a Forfieure Order.

But please, don't let that stop you telling us all how we're wasting our time.

--Thom
Kilowatt Amplifier One Zero Grid Current
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2007, 02:35:34 PM »

Don't muddy the water with facts Thom.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2007, 03:57:18 PM »

All posts on here concerning legal issues are pretty much a waste of time, at least I don't think the folks that run this website or any member has the legal power to do anything about K1MAN!? Glenn Baxter can obviously hold you by the short hairs and make you squeal but he can't touch me in any way. The ball has been in Riley Hollingworth's court for a long time now and the only really interesting thing to me is why he hasn't taken any real steps to shut down K1MAN. Don't let me stop you from shooting your blood pressure sky high. If Baxter looks on here, he's got to be laughing himself silly.

That's funny, all I did was state the facts. I'm not the one getting so worked up that I need to hastily type a superioristic response in one enormous rambling paragraph.

In fact, I've only posted on this thread a handful of times; and each time has been to interject a few statements of fact. If you calm down and do a little research, you'll see I've never ranted about Glenn even once, anywhere. You've got me beat in that department.

I don't keep my posts objective in order to elicit hate-filled responses from others. The idea is to discuss, not demote and degrade. You clearly have a chip on your shoulder, and I really don't see any point in carrying this on any further.

Have a nice day.

--Thom
Killer Agony One Zipper Got Caught
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2007, 09:25:26 PM »

Ain't got me either Mack.

His continued operation, if illegal, will only be more nails in his coffin.
The grinding wheels of government turn slow. But if you owe 'em money they're gonna get it. One way or another they'll get it.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2007, 09:51:11 PM »

LOL. Yep, K1MAN won't bother you if you aren't even licensed to operate on frequencies he uses, errr um jams.

Lots of hot air from someone claiming they don't care.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2007, 10:04:04 PM »

"Lots of hot air" is what amfone.net is all about Steve, haven't you noticed!? Come to think of it, without "hot air" what's ham radio!? Answer-NOT MUCH!

Thanks for continuing to make my point, with a non sequitur, no less.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015