The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:55:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K1MAN OPERATES ON TOP OF THE DX 60 NET  (Read 36393 times)
AF9J
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2007, 10:13:19 AM »

Jack,

What time on Sunday morning is the net?  I need to give my Scout 680 a workout.  I knew there were non-DX60 check-ins.  I didn't know there were that many.

Ellen - AF9J
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2007, 10:47:51 AM »

Jack,

What time on Sunday morning is the net?  I need to give my Scout 680 a workout.  I knew there were non-DX60 check-ins.  I didn't know there were that many.

Ellen - AF9J

Hi Ellen,

Well it officially gets started at 0800 EDST (1200Z) on 3880 KHz (+ or -) but many stations are on in the hour preceeding the net for a "pre-net" gathering.  You would be most welcomed to check-in and I'm sure you will really enjoy hearing the gang.  It is a really nice gathering of some very nice people and it is a lot of fun to hear the variety of equipment and stations that participate.  I believe approximately 45 stations checked in last Sunday and that number increases during the winter months.  Mike, N8ECR in Pigeon, MI is the illustrious net control and usually puts out a powerful signal.  Your Globe Scout will be in good company...there are several around....and they usually sound great.  We will look forward to hearing you on the net!

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2007, 10:58:20 AM »

HUZ: He wasn't heard by the net control. So as far as Mike knew the frequency was clear. I only heard a carrier and only because of the low noise EWE I was using. On the dipole there was a clear frequency.

IMO, except for the far east DX-60ers, this is really a non issue for most of the net. At that time Sunday mornings he ain't gonna be able to put up a signal of any significance here in this portion of the country.

wb1aij
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2007, 12:27:15 PM »

I THOUGHT HE DIED. I GUESS BRAIN DEAD DOESN'T COUNT.
WA3VJB
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2007, 12:34:29 PM »

Yeah Buddly in your case you're insulated.
ROLL TAPE anyway.
If he plays it back he can hear how pissweak he is, huh-HA !
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2007, 12:42:35 PM »

The DX-60 is the net namesake and "mascot".  You don't have to be using one to check-in.  Many of us have DX-60s, but usually only a few check into the net with them. 

Mike N8ECR has been the master of ceremonies for a long time...does a great job.

Hmm....sounds a lot like the Mighty Elmac Net. Not sure I've ever heard an Elmac station check in. Mike sure likes nets, huh? Wink

I live in eternal hope that more folks will find the power switch without the aid of a net to lead them onto the airwaves. When the CCA runs their AM Net night, you can hear many interesting rigs with wonderful signals, not heard again until the next net. Imagine those AM signals on the air regularly.

Of course, Baxtard is a wanker, regardless.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W9GT

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2007, 04:22:41 PM »

The DX-60 is the net namesake and "mascot".  You don't have to be using one to check-in.  Many of us have DX-60s, but usually only a few check into the net with them. 

Mike N8ECR has been the master of ceremonies for a long time...does a great job.

Hmm....sounds a lot like the Mighty Elmac Net. Not sure I've ever heard an Elmac station check in. Mike sure likes nets, huh? Wink

I believe that Mike has a DX-60 and probably an Elmac or two, as do many of us....HOWEVER, the main purpose of the net(s) is to encourage AM operation with whatever rig(s) that you might have and to provide a known meeting place at a known time.  Yeah, it could probably be equated to a huge roundtable...sometimes with traffic.....sometimes not...but a great on-the-air social gathering of like-minded individuals.  No hidden motives to hold a frequency or clober other modes!  Just an enjoyable activity for AMers.  Very friendly and very encouraging to newcomers.  No one says that you have to hang around for the whole net....or that you can't break-off into separate groups on other frequencies.

73,  Jack, W9GT

73, Jack, W9GT
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2007, 04:55:06 PM »

If it gets people on the air, it's a good thing. I just find it funny we have nets like the DX-60 and Elmac nets where no one seems to run these rigs on the net and the topic of conversation does not cover the rigs.

That's it, I'm starting the Millionaires Net.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2007, 11:32:34 PM »

Cool HUZ ! I ain't no millionare...... but I'll be there.
What's your time and YOUR frequency ?  Grin

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2007, 11:50:23 PM »

Wow! A Tom Vu net!

# "Are you man enough to get off your lazy American ass and go to Vu’s seminars?"

# "A lot of your friends will tell you, 'Don't come to the seminar. It's a get-rich-quick plan.' Well, tell them, it is a get-rich-quick plan because life is too short to get rich slow."

# "Tom Vu says his system is different than other experts'."

# "Okay. You've seen me make a lot of money. You've seen my students who are average people make a lot of money. Isn't is about time for you to go out and make a lot of money?"

# "There's two kinds of work in America: hard work and smart work. Which one are you doing now?"

# "This is not a country club! This is my house!"

# "Today I'm gonna show you how to drive a sports car. First, you need a lot of money!"

# "Don't listen to your friends. They're losers!"

# "Do you think these girls like me? NO, they like my money!"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2007, 11:53:18 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Vu

and,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rPyrx7d1h7A

What? Me worry?
WA3VJB
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2007, 05:59:22 AM »

The Collins Collectors Association "First Wednesday AM Night" is the same way. Supposedly it was a way to bring out people with Collins AM transmitters,  what I call the senior models, and the brand's receivers.

But when I ran the East Coast chapter, invariably MOST people who checked in were NOT running any Collins gear !

Jack's point applied there too, sometimes people need an excuse to get on, and that's hi hi FB with me.

W9GT

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2007, 08:18:13 AM »

If it gets people on the air, it's a good thing. I just find it funny we have nets like the DX-60 and Elmac nets where no one seems to run these rigs on the net and the topic of conversation does not cover the rigs.

Man....you East coasters are too uptight and serious!!  Reminds me of when I spent several months at our corporate HQ in Stamford, CT.  Those of us visiting from the Midwest did not realize that we were supposed to put on our suit coats before entering the elevator to go from floor to floor.  Boy!...did we get some dirty looks when we got on the elevator without our coats!  Not to mention the laughs and disdain displayed over our pocket protectors and the myriad of pens and pencils in them!  Guess we looked like the nerd patrol.

Who cares what we call the "nets"?  It really doesn't have to make sense.  The fact is...everyone enjoys the opportunity to get together on the air for the fellowship and enjoyment of our common interest of AM.

73,  Jack, W9GT

73, Jack, W9GT
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2007, 09:25:28 AM »

K1MAN doesn't operate "on top of" anyone, his operation was observed to be 'automated and unattended' on several occasions in the past. I think he publishes his 'schedule' of broadcasts on his website. I believe the ARRL schedule of operations is also done in an automated and unattended fashion at times.

Well, yes, he did at times run automated............

Now, he does not.....

Right now, (9:15am, wed.), he is on 3887lsb....

He has called for checkins to his net several times..... no one answers....then he rolls tape...

He had to move around us a few times this morning...from 3880, to 3879, to 3885, and then 3887....

He seems to enjoy the "AM Window", even though he's on lsb these days....

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2007, 02:36:54 PM »

Up tight? I was making a joke. You midwesterners have no sense of humor. And you have a funny sounding accent.

Yea, that was another joke. Hold the flames!

Man....you East coasters are too uptight and serious!!  Reminds me of when I spent several months at our corporate HQ in Stamford, CT.  Those of us visiting from the Midwest did not realize that we were supposed to put on our suit coats before entering the elevator to go from floor to floor.  Boy!...did we get some dirty looks when we got on the elevator without our coats!  Not to mention the laughs and disdain displayed over our pocket protectors and the myriad of pens and pencils in them!  Guess we looked like the nerd patrol.

Who cares what we call the "nets"?  It really doesn't have to make sense.  The fact is...everyone enjoys the opportunity to get together on the air for the fellowship and enjoyment of our common interest of AM.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2007, 02:38:12 PM »

LOL! That the point Bud, you don't need to be an millionaire, or run a DX-60 or a Collins.

The frequency and times will be random or at a time of my choosing. This is all about me, after all!

Cool HUZ ! I ain't no millionare...... but I'll be there.
What's your time and YOUR frequency ?  Grin

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2007, 02:47:12 PM »

The frequency and times will be random or at a time of my choosing. This is all about me, after all!

Hey now, is that anyway to lay claim to a channel? HUH??  Grin

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2007, 02:50:57 PM »

"  He has called for checkins to his net several times..... no one answers....then he rolls tape  "

Kinda like erb.....  he just needs dishes........  klc

What? Me worry?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2007, 02:53:08 PM »

Correction: ALL channels.

Hey now, is that anyway to lay claim to a channel? HUH??  Grin
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2007, 02:53:50 PM »

Maybe he's listening for that little voice in the wilderness.

"  He has called for checkins to his net several times..... no one answers....then he rolls tape  "

Kinda like erb.....  he just needs dishes........  klc
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »

Man....you East coasters are too uptight and serious!! 

Well, of course we are, Jack, Why, you ask? Well, because we have to get up early every morning, put the sun up, turn it on, and give the world a good spin so everything is working right when you guys to the west decide to wake up. If we don't, there's hell to pay.

"Where's he sun? It's RAINING AGAIN"

Hey, sometimes even the east coasters forget to set the alarm.  Grin

As you know Jack, I pop into the Elmac net sometimes to say 'hi' and always like to hear AM activity. It's just frustrating to me that so many people seem to either need an excuse or be led by the hand to operate. AM, SSB, whatever. Nets know no bounds!

KC, 'erb was still illegal last I knew, Just Say NO.

Maybe he's listening for that little voice in the wilderness.

I think Irb now is that little voice in the wilderness...(still my favorite Irbism)

W9GT

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2007, 04:42:26 PM »

Man....you East coasters are too uptight and serious!! 

Well, of course we are, Jack, Why, you ask? Well, because we have to get up early every morning, put the sun up, turn it on, and give the world a good spin so everything is working right when you guys to the west decide to wake up. If we don't, there's hell to pay.

Yeah, I know Todd...its a real burden...but someone's got to do it!

We are too busy out here fighting the Indians (Tennessee Valley type) and acting as a buffer between the left and right coasts.  But...as General "Mad" Anthony Wayne once might have said:  "Everything's wonderful here in the Fort". Grin

73,  Jack, W9GT

73, Jack, W9GT
KA1ZGC
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2007, 05:48:30 PM »

K1MAN doesn't operate "on top of" anyone, his operation was observed to be 'automated and unattended' on several occasions in the past.

Absolutely wrong! Glenn routinely fired up on top of ongoing communications, including mine. Anyone in Maine who was within 10kc of 3890 when Glenn fired up was clobbered.

One time, I was in a QSO with several other guys and was saying how we'd all probably cut Glenn a bit more slack if he took checkins to allow people to give their unedited opinions on the air, rather than running a broadcast with edited telephone call-ins. Within minutes, he fired up the transmitter zero-beat to mine, gave his number, explained how everyone was welcome to call in and talk about anything they want, promised not to edit them, and started broadcasting right on top of the QSO.

Several members of this board were in that QSO as well. I won't name them, but I'm sure they remember.

That was one of the instances that finally got the ball rolling in Gettysburg, and I'm glad I could do my part to get him the hell off the airwaves.

I think he publishes his 'schedule' of broadcasts on his website.

...which he used as justification for firing up on top of ongoing communications. He even sent so-called "felony affadavits" to people who were using "his" frequency when his broadcasts were about to commence, charging them with intentional interference!

I agree with the assertion by K1MAN that if the ARRL is allowed to make broadcasts on a scheduled basis then any ham should also be allowed the same privilege but his program content, at times, failed the test of being amateur related.

The ARRL has run those broadcasts since before broadcasting was outlawed, and before the FCC even existed. They are grandfathered. Glenn is not, and has proven by his behavior that he doesn't deserve to be.

I wouldn't stick up (or feel sorry) for this guy, if I were you.

--Thom
Kilimanjaro Africa One Zulu Goat Cheese
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2007, 06:54:09 PM »

The ARRL has run those broadcasts since before broadcasting was outlawed, and before the FCC even existed.

Your right Thom.  The " The ARRL does it" line shows nothing but ignorance. Besides, they are in and out within a few minutes with content DIRECTLY related to amateur operation and not an ARRL Master Card commercial ect......

To make the comparison is idiocy inaccurate at best.

My apologies to n4vgb and others who may have found the use of the word idiocy offensive. It is beyond the realm of civil discourse and not appropriate here.
"Ignorance" on the other hand is simply not knowing. ie... "Ignorant of the facts." and I offer no apology for using it.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2007, 11:04:03 PM »

don't have to "stick up" or "feel sorry" for K1MAN at all...

Yet you are. Contradicting yourself is not a good way to prove your point.  Tongue

I do find the exchange amusing though, so I guess it serves some useful purpose.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015