The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:16:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So stoked, then so bummed....  (Read 17699 times)
Rick K5IAR
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 10:31:41 AM »

I heard that sickening sound when removing a 250th from a BC-610.  I was ever so gently removing the beautiful bulb when I got the psssss... immediately I realized my error... forgot to remove the grid cap.  You're right, Paul, it's much worse when you do it to yourself!

Rick/K5IAR
WA1GFZ

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2007, 11:04:30 AM »

Universal Package Smashers

They busted a nice GPT10K tank from Fair Radio once and I wasn't home to receive it. I'll never use them again. I sold a number of premium Receivers and always build a wood crate and use Fed EX or USPS been happy with both.
Frank, The Mikey express is also very good......
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2007, 11:33:19 AM »

Frank, The Mikey express is also very good......

Ah yes, I remember that one!! The AM pony express!!

I bought 3 4-1000s from Frank a few years ago. We didnt want to ship them by conventional methods so we decided to use the AM pony express. They got handed off from this one to that one, handed off at 2 or 3 hamfests, sucked into the vortex, and Joe dropped them to me on one of his visits. The whole thing took about 3 months, and We joked that those tubes had so many miles on them that I should have taken them to Gypsy Lube for an oil change!! Grin

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W8IXY
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2007, 12:34:26 PM »

My condolences on the 833's et.al.

Some years ago, I had to order a new 4CX15000 for an FM broadcast transmitter.  It took 4 shipments to get one which wasn't destroyed in shipping.  Each time, you could pick up the brand new Eimac tube and hear the innards just rattle around whichever way you moved it.  The UPS adjuster asked if I could just "plug it in and try it".  Sure, as long as he was standing about a foot away from it when I put 12000 volts at 3 amps on it.

On another occasion, I received a new commercial CD player, shipped by UPS, with a 1 inch metal rod still sticking right through the box, and right through the machine.

Ted K8VPL.

Soon to be on with a Viking Valiant and a DX-100B.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015