The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:49:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to put fuseholders on a DX-100?  (Read 5296 times)
kf6pqt

« on: June 24, 2007, 09:20:58 PM »

The back apron real estate on my dx100b is really tight. I'm thinking about making a bracket to relocate that little choke (the one attached with 4 screws right in the way of where a pair of fuseholders could go) inwards.

Until I powered it down the last time, it was operating in Hindenberg mode, without any fuseage. I think my landlady would be pissed if i burned her termite-hut down.

Thanks,
Jason kf6pqt

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
W1GFH
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 09:48:50 PM »

Hi Jason,

As you know, some of the RFC's are very picky about lead length and location. One school of thought says that if a fuse blows, you have to open the rig up to find out the cause anyway, so it's no big deal if it's mounted on the inside, such as an in-line lead or on an underchassis bracket.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 11:05:03 PM »

I've used the fuses in the plug housing for 48 years and they've done their job a number of times.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
kf6pqt

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 11:10:06 PM »

Yeah, I COULD put them inline in the cord...  I dont have the original cord or plug, whats in there now is a POS, and I was gonna go to the 3 prong system.  My "shack ground" is tied to electrical building-ground anyway...

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
W1GFH
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 11:47:29 PM »

I have one of these dual fuse deals I took off the Ranger...

...but, IMO, it'd be a choice between...

...or...

John K5PRO

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 01:11:12 AM »

If you are using a three wire cord with ground, you won't need to have a second fuse, as you should only fuse the hot conductor (black). I did the same, and installed a single fuseholder on the rear apron, just next to where the power cord enters. It fitted in without changing the chokes and I didn't have to hog out a hole in the rear of the screened cover, fitted in the space next to the power cord.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 09:10:40 AM »

I have a 3-plug cord on my DX-100B and the fuse holder is back behind the VFO almost opposite of the crystal holder. I can't remember if I drilled the hole or it was there originally. But if the fuse is blown, its just a matter of lifting the lid and pulling it out.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
kf6pqt

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 10:51:21 AM »

There are some holes in the chassis I could use, I had wondered if snaking the hot lead around would  be a bad thing... but I wouldn't have to go nearly that far with it!

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
kf6pqt

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 03:30:10 PM »

I was going to use one of the holes in front the the 5V4 

Exactly what I was thinkning.

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015