The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:36:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2006 ARRL Annual Report - Now Available  (Read 9419 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: June 21, 2007, 01:19:26 PM »

For those who keep track of these things and enjoy the Annual Report reading fodder, the 2006 Annual Report is now available.

http://www.remote.arrl.org/announce/annualreport/2006/Annual_Report_2006_web.pdf

I saw nothing really new in the overall front section of the report (The Year in Review), except that membership remained fairly flat from 2005 through 2006. However, it does make good reading if you have a short memory span. The financial section is always interesting if you like to review the "numbers".

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 08:00:15 AM »

I was sorry to see the group has dumped its commercial-quality, continuous duty Harris transmitters in favor of "amateur grade" consumer desktop style transceivers.

Wonder if one could find the Harris out in the dumpster ...
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 02:16:33 PM »

Sometimes one has to go to where the money is.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 03:58:20 PM »

I can remember some outrage years ago when they bought the Harris commercial gear instead of buying amateur grade gear. Specifically, some folks thought that a US amateur radio organization/club claiming to represent US hams should use US-made ham gear. That meant TenTec exclusively of course, and that surely would not have set well with the Yaecomwood advertisers who dump a lot of dollars in Q-STreet. There was also the issue of cost, in terms of appropriate use of the membership's money. Maybe Harris donated it? Do the current manufacturers? We know that AMers donate gear to W1AW.

Someone will always be pissed, regardless.  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 05:41:09 PM »

They do say that the Harris stuff is still in use. More interesting is the fact that all the bulletin stuff is now transmitted on 4 discontinued Icom 756 PRO II's, 2 discontinued Ten-Tec Omni VI's, and 1 discontinued Ten-Tec Orion I. Well, at least the PRO II has great AM.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 01:14:06 AM »

They do say that the Harris stuff is still in use. More interesting is the fact that all the bulletin stuff is now transmitted on 4 discontinued Icom 756 PRO II's, 2 discontinued Ten-Tec Omni VI's, and 1 discontinued Ten-Tec Orion I. Well, at least the PRO II has great AM.

As I read it, they have discontinued using the Harris exciters, but still use the Harris amplifiers. They claim they were increasingly having crapout problems with the Harris exciters.

Once upon a time their bulletin station was all custom built.  Ordinary amateur radio appliances didn't have the capability of simultaneous multi-band transmission for their bulletin service.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 06:59:57 AM »

Hi:

I remember seeing photos of the HB KW rack and panel tube rigs in the 1940's and 50's QST's. I believe they tossed all of them.

It' would be cool if they could use the old buzzard rigs like that sometime for the CW practice.

Who knows, maybe it would chirp too!

BTW, out club is planning a trip to the ARRL in the fall FWIW.

Dan
W1DAN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015