The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:53:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Offical NearFest Reports - File Here  (Read 18824 times)
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2007, 10:32:32 AM »

You're absolutely correct Todd - I do need more sleep.  I recall we discussed the Vintage AM station, displays and forums (let's call them "Technical Symposiums" to avoid confusing them with the online forums) back when I was still conceptualizing NEAR-Fest in March.  So much was happening since those days but I recall putting the idea on hold until the basics of NEAR-Fest were established. 

Now that we're starting to plan NEAR-Fest II we'll have meaningful discussions regarding the Vintage AM (and CW?) Station, displays and the Technical Symposiums (actually, symposia).  I assume your offer to head up the effort in these areas still stands?

MrMike, W1RC

You need more sleep, Mike. Wink

We already covered this along with the speakers/forums/displays, deciding to wait until October to get the first NEAR-Fest off the ground and work out the basic bugs. I'd say that has been accomplished.

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2007, 02:01:13 PM »

I would love to see an AM (and CW) vintage station at NEAR-Fest II.  We had a special events call sign (W1D) but nobody used it this time.  Any volunteers to organize the effort?

You need more sleep, Mike. Wink

We already covered this along with the speakers/forums/displays, deciding to wait until October to get the first NEAR-Fest off the ground and work out the basic bugs. I'd say that has been accomplished.

The current plans involve having a 50s-vintage station on working display alongside or near the Class E station, taking turns and sharing the same antenna. This precludes interference issues and the need to check in with each other before operating. It also gives a good side-by-side comparison of AM technology from 'then' and 'now'. By sharing the power and antenna connections, there is not chance of damaging either station by operating in close proximity, and it makes the whole antenna launching situation easier. The older gear is already lined up, but operators are always a key ingredient.

Steve has also agreed to speak on Class E AM operations, and other speakers/forums are in the works.

Stay tuned folks, and be patient: October is a few days away. We're still recovering from last weekend!  Grin

I agree with Todd - It is best to have one special events station setup to avoid the obvious problem of interference and multiple antennas, etc.  It would be fairly straight-forward to have a lock-out system, where the receivers share the antenna receive bus, but the transmitters cannot both transmit at the same time. A few relays will accomplish this.

It will also be interesting to see the differences on the Modulation Monitor - I'll put the monitor in the common antenna line so both stations can use it.

There's plenty of air-time available !! Wink   Maybe I'll have a better looking transmitter by next Near-Fest.  My RF deck leaves much to be desired in the visual department!

REgards,

STeve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W1EUJ
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2007, 04:32:13 PM »

I'm still bringing three recievers of my own, to share with fellow hams. Might also serve coffee for the Saturday sun-up folks.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2007, 11:22:08 AM »

Special Event Stations at FARfest (W3F, W3ABC and WB3HUZ calls used over the years) included transmitters like T-368, BC-610 and a homebrew rig capable of 500 watts or more. If you are going to set up a station, don't be PW, run some power.

http://www.amwindow.org/pix/htm/modgb97.htm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015