The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:32:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gas prices are not encouraging hamfest attendance! How About Alternative Fuels?  (Read 137017 times)
AF9J
« Reply #150 on: May 31, 2007, 10:31:34 AM »

Hmmm, Deep Purple off of the "Machine Head' album - cool.

Ellen - AF9J

Nobody gonna take my car
Im gonna race it to the ground
Nobody gonna beat my car
Its gonna break the speed of sound
Oooh its a killing machine
Its got everything
Like a driving power big fat tyres
And everything

I love it and I need it
I bleed it yeah its a wild hurricane
Alright hold tight
Im a highway star

Nobody gonna take my girl
Im gonna keep her to the end
Nobody gonna have my girl
She stays close on every bend
Oooh shes a killing machine
Shes got everything
Like a moving mouth body control
And everything

I love her I need her
I seed her
Yeah she turns me on
Alright hold on tight
Im a highway star

Nobody gonna take my head
I got speed inside my brain
Nobody gonna steal my head
Now that Im on the road again
Oooh Im in heaven again Ive got everything
Like a moving ground an open road
And everything

I love it and I need it
I seed it
Eight cylinders all mine
Alright hold on tight
Im a highway star

Nobody gonna take my car
Im gonna race it to the ground
Nobody gonna beat my car
Its gonna break the speed of sound
Oooh its a killing machine
Its got everything
Like a driving power big
Fat tyres and everything

I love it and I need it
I bleed it
Yeah its a wild hurricane
Alright hold on tight
Im a highway star
Im a highway star
Im a highway star

One of my favorite cruisin' tunes.....  My friend and I caught this twice coming back from the fester on Sunday.   Pity we were in my friend's van and not his Firebird.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #151 on: May 31, 2007, 10:56:06 AM »

my favorite in LA was pink floyd amimals .....you have to know the 405 freeway.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #152 on: May 31, 2007, 01:30:03 PM »

there is just something about pullin second when itz all crossed up and sideways thet still makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck!!

Real men dont let out of it, they just steer it out!!

Mine only haz 46k original on the whole car, and I'm the second owner!! I've had it since it was a little ova a year old! When you've had something that long, itz kinda hard to get rid of it!!

I occasionally run into people that I went to high school with, the first thing they usually ask me is: What ever happened to the orange Dodge? They usually almost szht when I tell them I still have it!!
36 years is a long time to keep a car, I guess itz just a sickness!!
yuo know, kinda like ham radio  Grin Grin

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #153 on: May 31, 2007, 02:13:37 PM »

I bought mine in LA drove it home and planted the motor from the fusted out '74 in it removing the little 305 put put.
I wish I still had the '74 but the body was shot and my sister did a few good dents. She was in high school at the time and I let her drive it or should I say beat it. A cop friend pulled over all the time busting her about exhaust noise.
I really wish I hung on to the '65 Tempest with built 389. I could get the front wheels a couple feet in the air going into second.
Let off no way unless you are facing something hard.
Then if you can't burn a straight line you are a goat roper.
I helped a buddy build an L88 with ZL1 cam and 4:88s. You could fourth gear off the ground.  high 10s in the quarter with 11 inch racemasters.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #154 on: May 31, 2007, 03:09:25 PM »

468CID (440+.060) +12.5/1CR + 312/567/106 cam + thoroughly tweaked six pack intake and carbs + some headwork + 2 1/8" x 42" fenderwell headers +4.88s +11.5 x 28" M&H 330s + ceramic button clutch + my arm on the shifta = 10.80s @ 122mph. Carrying the front wheels all the way through first with a 3800lb car. That was just way too koool!! Something that you cant appreciate until you've been there!!

I sold that drivetrain 20+ years ago and returned it to a slightly warmed over stock 440 sixpack. Was still a 13 sec car last time run around 18 years ago! My daily driver back then wuz a '66 ford 6' stepside puke up with another '70 Mopar 440 in the boiler room.It wuz also a good solid 13 second appliance with automatic and A/C! I'm now driving a 4 banger ford ranger. (Whatz wrong with this picture!!)

Life wuz good back then!!

The Slab Bacon

Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #155 on: May 31, 2007, 03:12:14 PM »

Hey dudes and dudettes! Long time no post from me...

All you fart smellers and nobody mentioned hydrogen??

A safe, working system that can be easily retrofitted to any gas burning vehicle

Read this....

http://www.switch2hydrogen.com/

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #156 on: May 31, 2007, 03:38:40 PM »

Now that is one cool retrofit!

But they're not being upfront about the reality of making hydrogen with solar panels...
Too much hype there.
1 HP=746 watts. So to make 10 HP/hr on a road trip would require (without losses!) ~7-1/2 KW/hr upfront. That's simply not realistic unless you had a backyard full of $50,000 worth of solar panels in Arizona.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #157 on: May 31, 2007, 03:43:18 PM »

Hey Frank,
you gotta have shit to talk about when you get old. I know people who sat on their asses their whole life and just sit there with nothing to say.
In Ct. yesterday this kid got busted for a film case full of black powder with a fuse hanging out of it. The news reported it like they were going to lock him up in Cubia.
 My Friggen OM blew milk tins down Babcock Street on to Capital Ave in Hartford as a kid. He also built gliders all winter long so he could blow them up on the fourth of July.
Poor kids today get a mouse to push around a foam pad. No wonder they can't sit still in class. And they are stuck driving 4 bangers with baby fart mufflers. My son will be 16 in 5 years maybe we should start working on the Firebird.......I taught him how to operate a torque wrench when we fixed Mom's car. He cleaned all the gasket surfaces for me. He is a great go-fer.......now Pete this is how you spank second gear......And take the t handle off when you have a date and run the ball.....and you can't get LaXD in the back seat of a firebird.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #158 on: May 31, 2007, 03:47:50 PM »

Bill,
That sounds stupid enough for Washington to jump on......please keep it to yourself.
All I can picture is that beaker full of hydrogen in Chem class getting lit.
Imagine the weight of a hydrogen tank safe to drive down the road?
Reminds me of the argon jug in the old sidewinder at about 5000 psi
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #159 on: May 31, 2007, 04:04:55 PM »

Hey Frank,
you gotta have shit to talk about when you get old. I know people who sat on their asses their whole life and just sit there with nothing to say.

Aint it a shame, we're all starting to geeze! it sucks, but there is nothing we can do about it!! Believe I have lotz of crazy memories from MY past!! Itz wierd, but now as I'm starting to geeze, I have many vivid dreams at night of the good days gone by. Everything from cars to racing, people ,even some of the women from the past. I guess life was just more fun back then when you didnt care about anything. It sure is way too complicated now!!

My wife used to think I was full of B.S. with many of the stories that I told. Then she met many of the other people that were also involved as well. And they are still talking about it theirselves. She now doesnt think I'm crazy, she knows I'm crazy!!

I refuse to grow old gracefully!! I will never lay down in the ring!! I will, till my last dying breath always go down swinging!! I still ride a Sportster. I still drive a clutch. And I can still pull a mean second gear with a Chrysler new process (hemi) 4 speed! (When the poor arthritic joints dont hurt too bad Grin ) And I'm still ornery as catszht! It is proly a good thing that I just dont have much time on my hands or I would prolly kill myself doin some of the crazy szht I used to do!!

Life without any fun or enjoyment is surely not worth living!!

The Slab Bacon

Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #160 on: May 31, 2007, 05:36:23 PM »

Safer than your present gas-olean tank.

Imagine the weight of a hydrogen tank safe to drive down the road?
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #161 on: May 31, 2007, 05:48:46 PM »

Why is this man smiling?

* 180px-Graf_von_Zeppelin.jpg (5.16 KB, 180x156 - viewed 961 times.)

What? Me worry?
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #162 on: June 01, 2007, 07:00:42 AM »

If you do a little reading on their site you'll see that these are not just tanks filled with hydrogen. They are filled with a chemical (hydride) that absorbs the hydrogen that can only be released when heated...

Quote;

"Even opening the tank, or cutting it in half will not release the Hydrogen gas. In addition, you could even fire incendiary bullets through the tank and the Hydride would only smolder like a cigarette. It is in fact, a safer storage system than your Gasoline tank is."

The problem with this system is the cost, between $7k - $10k. Locally, gas is now around $3.15 a gallon. I'm spending aprox $70 a week on gas, that's $3640 per year. At this rate, it would take between two to three years for the system to pay for itself, plus the cost of electricity to power the hydrogen generator. However.......... I had dinner a few weeks ago with someone who lives in Germany. He told me that gas there is $6.75 a gallon! Huh Will it reach that price here in the states? If it does, the hydrogen system becomes a more attractive alternative.  Wink
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #163 on: June 01, 2007, 07:40:34 AM »

One other observation, Glenn...
If this catches on, governments are going to figure out how to tax these alternative motor fuels, be it homemade hydrogen or biodiesel (in my case).
Or maybe they won't (heh!).
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #164 on: June 01, 2007, 08:50:30 AM »

Good point Bill.... ... some of my co-workers were discussing this, we figured there would eventually be hydrogen filling stations, much like BBQ propane tank refill - exchange stations we have now. Yup, cha-ching! $$$ tax money. Can't get away from that I suppose.. Tongue

Unfortunately, the Consumer protection clowns are not allowing this company to proceed, not because the system is unsafe,.... they are trying to stop the sale of various chemicals to the general public........

I don't suppose the oil companies indirectly have something to do with putting the brakes on this technology, ya think? Roll Eyes

One other observation, Glenn...
If this catches on, governments are going to figure out how to tax these alternative motor fuels, be it homemade hydrogen or biodiesel (in my case).
Or maybe they won't (heh!).

WA1GFZ

« Reply #165 on: June 01, 2007, 09:42:49 AM »

I'd like to see those crappy little tanks take you 400 miles down the road making enough hydrogen to go 60 mph.
W8EJO

« Reply #166 on: June 01, 2007, 09:45:33 AM »

However.......... I had dinner a few weeks ago with someone who lives in Germany. He told me that gas there is $6.75 a gallon! Huh Will it reach that price here in the states? If it does, the hydrogen system becomes a more attractive alternative.  Wink

The reason for the price differential between U.S. gas prices & European gas prices is government taxation, not the undelying cost of the fuel itself.

In the US you pay between 26 cents (GA) & 50.4 cents (WI) for fuel excise taxes + sales tax which are all included (although hidden by rotten, sneaky,slimy politicos) in your cost per gallon. (see: http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp)

In many other countries, fuel taxes run insanely higher.

In Germany it's over $4.00/gallon. The Netherlands $4.46/gallon. France "only" $3.77/gallon. (see: http://www.urban.org/publications/1000845.html)

As an aside, the biggest profiteer off your fuel purcahses is not "big oil" or little oil or medium sized oil, it's your "freindly" state & fed govt (as in: We're from the government & we're here to help you. Now bend over.").

Terry
W8EJO

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2007, 10:12:32 AM »

and who builds the roads?
kf6pqt

« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2007, 10:25:32 AM »

Well, if they really wanted to score points with us voters, they could suspend taxation over the summer driving season... that'll never happen, as they need to finance Iraq and AssGasketStan...

I could balance THAT budget, I'm sure a nuke for each "country" would be cheaper than what is being spent now...

The oil there is underground, I feel confidant the ground would shield it from the radiation...

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
AF9J
« Reply #169 on: June 01, 2007, 10:45:37 AM »

Ah Geez Terry!  You HAD to remind me that I live in the state that has one the highest gas taxes in the nation! Cry

Feeling bummed in Cheeseheadland,
Ellen - AF9J

In the US you pay between 26 cents (GA) & 50.4 cents (WI) for fuel excise taxes + sales tax which are all included (although hidden by rotten, sneaky,slimy politicos) in your cost per gallon. (see: http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp)

Terry
W8EJO
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #170 on: June 01, 2007, 11:01:21 AM »

True, but I'm starting to wonder what they are doing with our fuel tax moolah. Our roads around here in baltimore are so bad that they are sickening!! Back country farm roads in southern Pa. are by far smoother than our roads around here!!

W8EJO

« Reply #171 on: June 02, 2007, 09:08:41 AM »

True, but I'm starting to wonder what they are doing with our fuel tax moolah. Our roads around here in baltimore are so bad that they are sickening!! Back country farm roads in southern Pa. are by far smoother than our roads around here!!

Maryland, Minnesota, New York, Wisconsin, and several other states, have so called minimum gas price laws  which require gasoline retailers to set a minimum price for gasoline.

Maryland also has a law which  prohibits companies that refine gas from operating stations.

These laws were not enacted to promote competition and keep prices down (they are all in fact anti-competitive, anti-consumer, forms of economic statism) but rather to prop up prices for independent gas retailers which has big lobbying organizations which provide campaign donations to state politicians. The WMDA Service Station & Automotive Repair Association, the Gasoline Retailers Association and the Petroleum Marketers Association of America are  the lobbying groups who have pressured your state lawmaker to pass these laws.

I repeat: "We are here fom the government and we are here to help you. Now bend over".

Terry
W8EJO

Terry, W8EJO

W8EJO

« Reply #172 on: June 02, 2007, 12:36:02 PM »

Maryland, Minnesota, New York, Wisconsin, and several other states, have so called minimum gas price laws  which require gasoline retailers to set a minimum price for gasoline.

Maryland also has a law which  prohibits companies that refine gas from operating stations.

These laws were not enacted to promote competition and keep prices down (they are all in fact anti-competitive, anti-consumer, forms of economic statism) but rather to prop up prices for independent gas retailers which has big lobbying organizations which provide campaign donations to state politicians. The WMDA Service Station & Automotive Repair Association, the Gasoline Retailers Association and the Petroleum Marketers Association of America are  the lobbying groups who have pressured your state lawmaker to pass these laws.

This I might add while the state delagations to congress from each of these states voted heavily in favor of the so called "Price Gouging" bill (HR 1252) before the House on 5/23/07.

The votes by state were: Maryland 7 yes 1 no, Minnesota 5 yes 3 no, New York 23 yes 3 no, & Wisconsin 6 yes 2 no.
(see: http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/110/house/1/votes/404/)

The balatant hypocrisy of these "represenatives" is truly breathtaking.

Terry
W8EJO

Terry, W8EJO

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #173 on: June 03, 2007, 07:49:45 PM »

The balatant hypocrisy of these "represenatives" is truly breathtaking.
Terry
W8EJO 

Just remember that when they come up for re election!!

The Slab Bacon

Pages: 1 ... 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015