The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:30:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gas prices are not encouraging hamfest attendance! How About Alternative Fuels?  (Read 137025 times)
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2007, 07:29:07 PM »

Terry said:
The federal government is actively pushing & subsidizing(through legislation) ethanol even though it's an inefficient fuel. Why invest in a big oil refinery if your government is
actively pushing a policy that will put you out of business?

Its called cowtowing to the farmers. This gives them a reason to save farms and secure votes. I just heard on the new that the speaker of the house claims that greenhouse gases are high on the agenda. If that is so, then why are we going to pollute the air twice as bad by switching to ethanol? We use quite a bit of ethanol at work. All the tanks and pipes that are exposed to ethanol fumes are covered with a black soot substance. According to our environmental department, the EPA lists ethanol as a Volatile Organic Compound, (VOC). All holding tanks are to be induced with a nitrogen blanket of about 6" H2O. And we are only allowed very minimal venting to the atmosphere, (5 Lbs/month?). This doesn't sound like a very green fuel to me!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
AF9J
« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2007, 09:17:45 PM »

Hmmmm, I'll be. I didn't know that.  Thanks for the info. Terry.

Ellen - AF9J

Ummm Terry, don't you mean 1986 for the last nuke plants brought on-line. 

Ellen - AF9J

The last reactor to come on line in the United States was the Watt’s Bar reactor in Tennessee, owned and operated by the Tennessee Valley Authority. It began commercial service in May 1996.

Terry
W8EJO
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2007, 10:20:40 PM »

Terry said:
The federal government is actively pushing & subsidizing(through legislation) ethanol even though it's an inefficient fuel. Why invest in a big oil refinery if your government is
actively pushing a policy that will put you out of business?

Its called cowtowing to the farmers. This gives them a reason to save farms and secure votes.

I don't agree.

Maybe in 1930, but there just aren't that many farmer votes these days, only an increasingly small number of votes are out there with all of the agribiz consolidation.

Instead, I think they're fumbling around trying to find feel-good 'solutions' to our energy needs for the city folks, of which there are a lot more votes to be found.

IMO, there just isn't a single, simple solution, no magic bullet and there ain't a single villian to blame. Our future energy needs are going to have to be supplied by a number of sources, from nuke to renewable stuff to coal conversion to liquid transportation fuel, using what makes sense.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2007, 10:45:09 PM »

New commerical aircraft will use nitrogen in the fuel tanks to keep O2 out.

The only cowtowing I see going on is to the guys bilking the public.....
nothing like a free market that you have full control of.

and no huz I checked no oil co stocks as far as I can see sorry om.
W8EJO

« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2007, 11:14:55 PM »

Its called cowtowing to the farmers. This gives them a reason to save farms and secure votes.

I don't agree.

Maybe in 1930, but there just aren't that many farmer votes these days, only an increasingly small number of votes are out there with all of the agribiz consolidation.
[/quote]

Have you ever  noticed which state goes first in the pesidential primaries? It's only the Nations biggest corn producing state - Iowa.

The Iowa caucuses.

The Iowa caucuses won't be held until January of 2008 but the 2008 presindential hopefuls are already there - speechifying, promising, lying, money raising. . If you win Iowa, you have momentum, greater fund raising ability, more press coverage. It's an enormously important political state.

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2007, 11:23:16 PM »

I went to a hamfest on Saturday. Lots of people were there with more vendors and buyers than last year.  Everybody must of had gas to get there and back home. No issues with gas here but what about postages rates. Try mailing a 30 pound package to Europe these days. Be prepared for counter shock.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #131 on: May 30, 2007, 09:38:10 AM »

Exactly Pete. All this P&Ming about gas prices but people are driving just as much as ever. It can't be very bad if behaviors aren't changing. Lots of hype and hot air with no substance. Lots of hypocrisy too. Funny stuff.

I went to a hamfest on Saturday. Lots of people were there with more vendors and buyers than last year.  Everybody must of had gas to get there and back home. No issues with gas here but what about postages rates. Try mailing a 30 pound package to Europe these days. Be prepared for counter shock.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2007, 10:26:56 AM »

I don't agree.

Have you ever  noticed which state goes first in the pesidential primaries? It's only the Nations biggest corn producing state - Iowa.

The Iowa caucuses.

The Iowa caucuses won't be held until January of 2008 but the 2008 presindential hopefuls are already there - speechifying, promising, lying, money raising. . If you win Iowa, you have momentum, greater fund raising ability, more press coverage. It's an enormously important political state.

Iowa is an increasingly important political state, but there's very little difference in the positions between the candidates. You're right, it's all show-and-tell, but as far as defining a candidate's ideals, it's a joke. It's a beauty contest.

In '04, Gebhardt of Missouri, a neighboring farming state, was expected to handily win in Iowa for the reasons you cite, but he was trounced by Kerry, Edwards and even Howard Dean, none of which I'd consider to be Mr. GreenJeans. It's not the Iowa farmers controlling the politics in that state, it's the political activists.

The same goes for almost every caucus state...It's the party activists that show up to participate, not Joe Public.

Maybe 10 years ago I did participate in the Colorado caucuses. I experienced it first hand. And it was exactly that- Everyone that put forth platform proposals was way out of line with the moderate pragmatists at the center.

Bad for all of the political parties to have their ideologues controlling the process and that's how they defeat themselves.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2007, 11:43:30 AM »

It feels good to P&M like taking a healthy one.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2007, 11:48:45 AM »

Steve said:
All this P&Ming about gas prices but people are driving just as much as ever. It can't be very bad if behaviors aren't changing. Lots of hype and hot air with no substance. Lots of hypocrisy too. Funny stuff.

Hmmmm, I don't know about others here on the board but since the big surge from Katrina, I have curtailed my usage considerably. I used to fill my tank every week but now I string it out for about 2 1/2 weeks. Things that I used to run into town, now are accumulated into one trip. P&M is the only satisfaction we get anymore. But I don't see the hypocrisy angle from my viewpoint. Its very hard to justify not being gouged by the oil companies when their annual reports of profits are (Exxon/Mobile) $240 billion! When oil was at $10, they were getting tax relief and subsidies. Now where is the return?

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
n3lrx
« Reply #135 on: May 30, 2007, 12:28:12 PM »

I was always under the assumption that the caucuses were based on geographical location not on the product the states which host them are common for.

But in any event, even if they are (or were at one point) placed in particular areas to win votes from the working class it's obvious now that the common man has nothing to do with them anymore. As many have stated it's all the political high rollers and activists that support these conventions while John Q. Public probably wishes he could get out of Dodge for a few days till the frenzy burns out.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #136 on: May 30, 2007, 12:58:07 PM »

P&Ming is far better than sricking your head in the sand and spreading the target.
the oil crooks only want to hear positive waves while they cry poverty.
Mike I do the same thing. every time we drive away from the house we make sure it is for a good reason. I also try to get a couple weeks out of a tank of gas but fill often to keep it topped off. XYL goes about 4 weeks on a tank with her car. I also keep a close eye on the MPG and try to drive like I have an egg under my gas foot. I hang about 19 mpg in my 5.3 chevy truck. goes down a bit when I run AC.
89 craptane gives me the best miles per buck.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #137 on: May 30, 2007, 02:26:49 PM »

"Its very hard to justify not being gouged by the oil companies when their annual reports of profits are (Exxon/Mobile) $240 billion!"

Since when is making a profit the same as being gouged? The annual profits were $240 billion, but on what volume of sales? Spouting numbers like these is meaningless.

The same goes for providing anectdotal reports of one's own behavior. If the over all demand for oil does not decrease, then behavior of the population in general is not changing. Further, describing how you drive or how often you fill up the gas tank hardly describes how much you've changed your behavior with respect to oil usage. How much electricity do you comsume? How many products do you buy that are shipped by truck or train, how many plastic items are in your homes, etc? If you haven't significantly changed your usage/behavior in these areas, your demand on the oil supply has changed very little.

Thus, my declaration of hypocrisy. And I still find all the hype and bluster quite funny. Cheesy
2ZE
« Reply #138 on: May 30, 2007, 02:38:19 PM »

"Its very hard to justify not being gouged by the oil companies when their annual reports of profits are (Exxon/Mobile) $240 billion!"

240 Billion?
I don't think so. Exxon/Mobil reported an 8.4 billion dollar profit for fiscal Q1.
Read on:

http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/27/news/companies/exxon/index.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/earnings/2006-01-30-exxonmobil_x.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/30/business/30cnd-exxon.html?ex=1296277200&en=8cc83a774025962b&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

WA1GFZ

« Reply #139 on: May 30, 2007, 03:01:36 PM »

OK all you power wasters time to fire up the cake pan and Steve will stop laughing and strap all of us.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #140 on: May 30, 2007, 05:36:16 PM »

I'm goin' home
And when I wanna go home
I'm goin' mobile
Well, I'm gonna find a home
And we'll see how it feels
Goin' mobile
Keep me movin'

I can pull up by the curb
I can make it on the road
Goin' mobile
I can stop in any street
And talk with people that we meet
Goin' mobile
Keep me movin'

Out in the woods
Or in the city
It's all the same to me
When I'm drivin' free, the world's my home
When I'm mobile

Hee, hoo!
beep beep!

Play the tape machine
Make the toast and tea
When I'm mobile
Well I can lay in bed
With only highway ahead
When I'm mobile
Keep me movin'

Keep me movin'
Over 50
Keep me groovin'
Just a hippie gypsy

Come on move now
Movin'
Keep me movin', yeah

Keep me movin', groovin', groovin', yeah
Movin', Yeah
Mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, ...

I don't care about pollution
I'm an air-conditioned gypsy
That's my solution
Watch the police and the tax man miss me
I'm mobile
Oooooh, yeah, hee!

Mobile, mobile, mobile yeah

What? Me worry?
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2007, 06:05:50 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70AAQVHctQ8
AF9J
« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2007, 06:08:55 PM »

Sure thing Mr Townshend! Wink

Ellen - AF9J

I'm goin' home
And when I wanna go home
I'm goin' mobile
Well, I'm gonna find a home
And we'll see how it feels
Goin' mobile
Keep me movin'

I can pull up by the curb
I can make it on the road
Goin' mobile
I can stop in any street
And talk with people that we meet
Goin' mobile
Keep me movin'

Out in the woods
Or in the city
It's all the same to me
When I'm drivin' free, the world's my home
When I'm mobile

Hee, hoo!
beep beep!

Play the tape machine
Make the toast and tea
When I'm mobile
Well I can lay in bed
With only highway ahead
When I'm mobile
Keep me movin'

Keep me movin'
Over 50
Keep me groovin'
Just a hippie gypsy

Come on move now
Movin'
Keep me movin', yeah

Movin', Yeah

I don't care about pollution
I'm an air-conditioned gypsy
That's my solution
Watch the police and the tax man miss me
I'm mobile
Oooooh, yeah, hee!

Mobile, mobile, mobile yeah

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #143 on: May 30, 2007, 07:50:35 PM »

Who ?

What? Me worry?
AF9J
« Reply #144 on: May 30, 2007, 08:12:29 PM »

Of course.

Ellen - AF9J
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #145 on: May 31, 2007, 12:25:26 AM »

I'm goin' home
And when I wanna go home
I'm goin' mobile
Movin', Yeah

Not only has he written some of the greatest rock music ever, he also knows how to pronounce "mobile".  Whatta guy.

--- Post No Bills ---
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #146 on: May 31, 2007, 08:45:54 AM »

Ah, yes!! boy aint that the truth!! I miss the days when you could cruise the interstates at 120+. Those were the days. 35 years ago, I actually raced a state trooper. The stakes were: He won, I would sit there until he got writers cramp, I won I walked free and clear. I won and he couldnt believe it. I outran his 427 chebby cruiser with my 413 out on I-95 just above baltimore!! We became friends after that, and every time he saw me coming home from work at 11:30pm, he would pull me ova so we could go for coffee and dognutz!! Those were the days!!

I know someone who still drives like that, and he'd one of us!! K1KV.
they still call him "3 digit Bill" He drove down for the timmonium fester, hung out all day at my party, and drove back the same day. He swore that he would make it home in less than 4 hours!!

The Slab bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #147 on: May 31, 2007, 08:58:49 AM »

Too much to lose these days and my insurance man is my first grade buddy and he knows how well I can spank second gear.
He prefers I keep the old firebird parked.
413 beating a rat now that sounds like a good match.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #148 on: May 31, 2007, 09:45:59 AM »

Too much to lose these days and my insurance man is my first grade buddy and he knows how well I can spank second gear.
He prefers I keep the old firebird parked.
413 beating a rat now that sounds like a good match.

Thatz why '70 dodge just sits in my driveway deteriorating. (the one that is the background for the group shot pictures) I would start to wind it up through the gearz (4 speed) and "this feeling" would start to come over me and it wuz flat to the floor and pullin gearz!! So I figgered the best way to stay out of trouble is to keep it somewhat inoperable.

With Zoning doing another one of their "neighborhood sweeps" and getting  citation for it last week, I went out and put the tags on it and pumped up the flat tires. It actually lookz pretty good sitting there now.
I might just have to replace the leaking pump diafrizm and leaking float bowl gasketz and blow the cobwebz out of it. Itz still a fun car to drive, thatz why I dont!! (I'm paying around $1100 a year for insurance on 3 cars and a motorcycle)

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #149 on: May 31, 2007, 10:17:57 AM »

Yup,
Mine is in the same condition with a friggen wood chuck living under it.
The high power pellet rifle has a date with him. I bought some plants for the garden over the weekend and sure enough he was sitting under the rear bumper waiting for me to plant them Monday. I move the part of the garden he likes to eat.
I have about 30K on the drive train and stopped when my Son was born. Last time I drove it was a ride to Tom Vu's on a nice cold night.
Town cops bugged me once but I told them to run the plate. I keep a sticker on it. I bet the holley also needs a rebuild and some marvel mystery oil down the holes before it gets fired again.
I need to move it to get a bead on my little pal.
Too many toys not enough time at this point. I would love to take it for a ride......
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015