The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:27:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wayne Green W2NSD - What's Up?  (Read 29050 times)
w4eal
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2007, 11:08:58 PM »

I couldn't wait for the newest issue of 73 to arrive. The editorials were definitely of more interest then the advertisements. Wayne the Green was ahead of his time in the Green movement ( HMMMM could it be? ). Hi Hi.

I do believe Wayne had a secret desire to be the MAD magazine of the Ham set.  I wonder how much extra money he made on that 1/2 cent increase in price.

Dennis  Tongue
WA3VJB
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2007, 11:15:34 PM »

Hey guys, now is that a polite way to treat our invited guest speaker?

He might be reading this, we did invite him over.

Come on, I know we're more open minded than that here.

-Bruce W1UJR

It is polite to recount some of his history so that others may come to understand anything the invited guest may contribute.

It is polite to provide the invited guest the opportunity to revise, re-frame, or defend the kind of views we remain puzzled by to this day.

It is an example of open-mindedness to express our concern about your man's early lack of open-mindedness expressed in some of the negative views he has held about our facet of the hobby.

Thanks for asking.
W1UJR
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2007, 11:20:50 PM »

It is polite to recount some of his history so that others may come to understand anything the invited guest may contribute.

It is polite to provide the invited guest the opportunity to revise, re-frame, or defend the kind of views we remain puzzled by to this day.

It is an example of open-mindedness to express our concern about your man's early lack of open-mindedness expressed in some of the negative views he has held about our facet of the hobby.

Thanks for asking.

And you have never changed your mind on anything Paul?

Thanks for sharing.
WA3VJB
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2007, 11:58:34 PM »

I sure have Bruce, and I welcomed the opportunity to share it with others.

One that I think I talked with you about was my negative view of the D-104.
I used to call it the CB-Lollipop, the D-Ten-Four, and so on, pointing out what I thought was an invariably bad sound the microphone had as well.

Turns out the heritage of the mic goes way before Citizen's Band, and the bad sound I was hearing involved examples with bad cartridges.

You've politely invited a man who has held very strong opinions against something you find enjoyable. I hope he repays your courtesy by responding as to whether he, indeed, has changed his mind.

I would like to see that, where I said "so much the better." I don't know how I can be more open-minded than to welcome an update from someone I wouldn't otherwise have a good impression of.

Keep us posted ?
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2007, 07:53:39 AM »

Play nice, Boys. Cheesy

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2007, 08:10:36 AM »

You know, that's what is so great about our country is that we are able to voice our opinions without being oppressed. Even to the highest level of the government. What upsets me (and probably others) is getting into (no offense Pedro) a Mexican pissing contest everytime there is a disagreement, (besides, I can pee farther than anyone;>). To the point, I don't care for Wayne Green, and this was before I learned he was anti-AM. About the only thing we have in common is our disdain and loathing for the ARRgghhL and K1ZZ. Personally, Wayne has shown a penchant for being at the center of the storm, regardless what the issue is. He loves the spotlight and will say/do anything to get to center stage. That's my opinion, and it isn't subject to 'fencing'. YMMV

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W1UJR
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2007, 08:25:20 AM »

I sure have Bruce, and I welcomed the opportunity to share it with others.

One that I think I talked with you about was my negative view of the D-104.
I used to call it the CB-Lollipop, the D-Ten-Four, and so on, pointing out what I thought was an invariably bad sound the microphone had as well.

Turns out the heritage of the mic goes way before Citizen's Band, and the bad sound I was hearing involved examples with bad cartridges.

You've politely invited a man who has held very strong opinions against something you find enjoyable. I hope he repays your courtesy by responding as to whether he, indeed, has changed his mind.

I would like to see that, where I said "so much the better." I don't know how I can be more open-minded than to welcome an update from someone I wouldn't otherwise have a good impression of.

Keep us posted ?

Will do Paul.
If nothing else, this little post has generated some good and insightful comments, brought up some fond, and some not so fond, memories for some of the fellows.
Over 700 views last time I checked!

I've heard nothing from Wayne since his email, so the third BA is now in his court, so to speak.

And Mikey, your point is well taken, but isn't that true of society in general?
Are we not less tolerance and impatient with the flaws of others?
Example, 3872 KC on any night.
Who ever heard of "road rage" in the 1910?
Or "diversity" before 1995?
I think we are all a little overwhelmed with the daily barrage of media, and perhaps we are more than a little fed up with the powers of political correctness telling us how to think and act.
That's just my 2 cents, with that and $3.48 you can get a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2007, 09:56:48 AM »

Bruce said:
That's just my 2 cents, with that and $3.48 you can get a cup of coffee at Starbucks

I'll take the the $3.48 and get a gallon of gas;) Of course,"Your Milage May Vary!"

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2007, 03:49:18 PM »

The Great Pumpkin and Linus are mentioned in the Helloween song "Halloween." In a sketch from Robot Chicken, Linus performs a ritual that causes the Great Pumpkin to appear, only to get killed by it. Soon, the Great Pumpkin attacks the Peanuts gang and just when it sets its sights on Charlie Brown, The Kite-Eating tree gobbles it up
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2007, 09:34:37 AM »

I think we are all a little overwhelmed with the daily barrage of media, and perhaps we are more than a little fed up with the powers of political correctness telling us how to think and act.

Still, it might be a good idea in the future to do a bit of research and consider the entire membership and purpose of amfone before presuming to speak for all here with such an invitation. I've enjoyed some of Wayne's work and writings over the decades as others have, but also recall he was/is very anti-AM. As with Paul and others, I too hope he has adopted a more reasonable and sensible view of the mode.

When all else fails, check with some of the old guard to see if that cool sounding idea may have some unpleasant fallout for all involved - including Mr. Green. Wink

Meanwhile, you missed a helluva time at Dayton. Two large trucks full of 1920s and earlier gear including a pair of rotary spark gaps. Hopefully someone got pics of them for you. Think one of the sellers was an AWA member.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2007, 09:37:53 AM »

rotary spark gap....i want one
W1UJR
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2007, 11:10:58 AM »

rotary spark gap....i want one

Same here Frank.
Check out the link below.
Not vintage, but really very cool.
I did see a vintage spark gap TX at the AWA meet auction a few years back, went for $2,500.  Sad

http://www.tb3.com/tesla/sparkgaps/index.html

W1UJR
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2007, 11:17:08 AM »

Still, it might be a good idea in the future to do a bit of research and consider the entire membership and purpose of amfone before presuming to speak for all here with such an invitation. I've enjoyed some of Wayne's work and writings over the decades as others have, but also recall he was/is very anti-AM. As with Paul and others, I too hope he has adopted a more reasonable and sensible view of the mode.

When all else fails, check with some of the old guard to see if that cool sounding idea may have some unpleasant fallout for all involved - including Mr. Green. Wink

Oh, I'm not too worried about that Todd, I'm sure that Gary and the other moderators are perfectly able to police the board.
And I'm sure that Wayne is more than able to defend himself, should he chose to show up.
If you go back and reread how the thread started, you'll see the purpose of it was not to invite Wayne, just an inquiry about him and 73.
Judging from the number of replies and comments, I would imagine that most of use would like to hear from Old Wayne, hence the later invite.
As far as the "old guard", you don't get much older on the internet than the Huzman's "AM Window", so I'm quite sure I've earned my "old guard" stripes.
Thanks for sharing.  Grin

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2007, 11:29:55 AM »

I'm far less interested in anything Wayne Green has to say than the regular users of this site. Their opinions and insight are far more relevant and up to date. Wayne would be good for entertainment value though, much like Irb was with his daily rants. The words from Macbeth come to mind.

... full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

That said, he is welcome to frequent this site, just like anyone else who bothers to get an account/membership.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2007, 12:14:57 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, "fairness" means an open exchange of viewpoints.

I have no personal beef with Wayne Green, and I really don't care what he thinks/thought about AM. He'd only be one of thousands who feel that our mode of operation is so ineffective that it should be proactively wiped from the airwaves, rather than to simply not use a mode you don't care for.

I personally would like to know how he feels about the massive jamming campaigns launched against us by people who share his previously stated (and published) views towards AM; but if I die without hearing the answer, I will not die unfulfilled.

If, on the other hand, we are expected to forget all that, pretend like nothing was ever said, and dispense with dialogue in favor of monologue; neither the AM community nor Wayne Green will be particularly well served.

The erstwhile Mr. Green has no shortage of media by which he can make (and has made) his views known. He is certainly not unwelcome here, and the majority of members are quite capable of keeping the discussion healthy and constructive, but difficult questions will be asked, and a dialog (we hope meaningful) will ensue.

It would be unreasonable and unrealistic to expect these questions to not be asked, and most of us (including Wayne Green) are adult enough to keep it from descending into a shouting match.

It may well be settled in a matter of a few objective exchanges, it may not; but getting the dialog out there on the table is not only a good idea, it's what makes this a great country.

That's as much as I care to say about it. We could easily go down a rathole with this thread, and I don't want to encourage that, but the point bears stating.

--Thom
Kilowatt Amplifier One Zero Grid Current
WA3VJB
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2007, 01:03:13 PM »

OK

Let's now wait and see if Wayne shows up.

Bruce if you would like to start a new thread where he can post, please do so.

Sensing a bit of an edge from people taking part in the discussion about Wayne Green, I am considering a lock on the thread as it stands.

This would provide everyone some breathing room for a period of time until Wayne shows up.

(situation has been resolved)
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2007, 03:50:50 PM »

Wayne will not show up.  I placed my bet. 

He may have or had a look at this forum but I don't think we'll see him.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2007, 04:08:32 PM »

Wow!  Such paranoia…..If Wayne Green was the only AM detractor in the world; I still wouldn’t believe that he was demonstrating any great threat to our cherished mode by expressing his opinion.  If he were processing filings to the FCC or championing some sort of drive, it might be different. 

Wayne produced a genuinely interesting and generally enjoyable magazine with 73.   I’m sure he loves ham radio to this day, and I don’t think that he is actively pursuing an anti-AM campaign.  I for one would enjoy hearing what he is up to…but I don’t think it has anything to do with the AM community.  So it might be misplaced on this board.  Anyway…..lighten-up guys, we’ve got enough to worry about with our known antagonists!

73,  Jack, W9GT Smiley

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
KA1ZGC
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2007, 04:17:49 PM »

If he were processing filings to the FCC or championing some sort of drive, it might be different.

Read Don's post back on the first page, reply #15.

--Thom
Killer Agony One Zipper Got Caught
KA1ZGC
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2007, 04:26:04 PM »

Sensing a bit of an edge from people taking part in the discussion about Wayne Green, I am considering a lock on the thread as it stands.

Why?

Wayne Green is the topic of discussion, and we've stayed on that topic. You may perceive "a bit of an edge", but that hardly justifies locking a thread. If we were on edge towards each other, yes, but we're not, and nobody's launching any attacks towards anyone.

If you do, fine: we'll just take it to the airwaves.

--Thom
Killer Album One Zappa's Greatest Compositions
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2007, 04:29:54 PM »

If he were processing filings to the FCC or championing some sort of drive, it might be different.

Read Don's post back on the first page, reply #15.

--Thom
Killer Agony One Zipper Got Caught
Quote from K4KYV:
If I recall correctly, Wayne once petitioned to phase out AM, some time in the early 60's, long before Johnston and his henchmen took control of the Private Radio Bureau at the FCC.  The petition was never taken seriously because at the time the majority of hams were still using AM and it would have probably forced almost as many people off the air as incentive licensing did.

Well, I was one of that majority using AM back in dem good ol days.

I guess I just believe in the positive aspects of what we are doing now and I don't feel it is necessary to dig up old bones.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2007, 04:50:26 PM »

Why?

Wayne Green is the topic of discussion, and we've stayed on that topic. You may perceive "a bit of an edge", but that hardly justifies locking a thread. If we were on edge towards each other, yes, but we're not, and nobody's launching any attacks towards anyone.

I think it referred mainly to my follow up post Thom, which I removed earlier. I took exception to Bruce referring to the issue as a 'we did invite him' thing when his earlier post said 'this is what I sent to Wayne..'. I'm one of those folks who doesn't like to be spoken for by the self-appointed in general and also felt the idea wasn't well thought out and could cause unneeded problems for amfone. My attempt to point out the contradictions and possible ramifications here wasn't going to change anything though, and could instead have lead to a pissing match between pros and cons, so I pulled it.

I do like your 'on the air' idea, though, being a strong believer that folks need to spend more time on the air and less online. Smiley

W1UJR
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2007, 05:58:15 PM »

I think it referred to mainly to my follow up post Thom, which I removed earlier. I took exception to Bruce referring to the issue as a 'we did invite him' thing when his earlier post said 'this is what I sent to Wayne..'. I'm one of those folks who doesn't like to be spoken for by the self-appointed in general and also felt the idea wasn't well thought out and could cause unneeded problems for amfone. My attempt to point out the contradictions and possible ramifications here wasn't going to change anything though, and could instead have lead to a pissing match between pros and cons, so I pulled it.

I do like your 'on the air' idea, though, being a strong believer that folks need to spend more time on the air and less online. Smiley

Wayne Green and what is going on with him right was the topic of this thread. I should know, I was the one who started it! Then many of the guys chimed in that they liked and missed his magazine, some shared that they did not care for his view of AM, a view which may or may not have changed over the years. Hence the invite to Wayne, to tell us what is up with him. Another poster also invited him.
Said invite was not an invite to a debate, we don't have to argue about everything.

As far as anyone speaking for you, your first post was not until the near bottom of the second page, long after the invite had been extended, long after many of the earlier posters had expressed interest in Wayne, and long after much discourse had been exchanged. Me thinks thou does protest too much!  Grin Perhaps a good rule if ones does not like the nature of a thread, don't bother to comment. The AMFone site is by nature full of divergent views, such is life!

Ah, this is what makes life interesting.
Now back to our regular scheduled programing!
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2007, 06:39:50 PM »

Wayne Green and what is going on with him right was the topic of this thread. I should know, I was the one who started it! Then many of the guys chimed in that they liked and missed his magazine, some shared that they did not care for his view of AM, a view which may or may not have changed over the years. Hence the invite to Wayne, to tell us what is up with him. Another poster also invited him.
Said invite was not an invite to a debate, we don't have to argue about everything.

As far as your first post Bruce, that's true. But you somehow took the leap from a few curious others (not sure I'd agree that a few folks 'wondering what he's up to now' equals 'many') as a request by all to invite someone with a clearly known anti-AM past, to amfone. This was my point, sorry for not being more clear on that. It wasn't the individual so much as the process that got us to this point. The thread isn't an issue at all, more the potential impact to everyone on amfone of such actions. Having dealt with other forums and email reflectors, I know how much grief a seemingly small thing like this can end up causing to the admins.

As far as anyone speaking for you, your first post was not until the near bottom of the second page, long after the invite had been extended, long after many of the earlier posters had expressed interest in Wayne, and long after much discourse had been exchanged.

Well, I was away at Dayton and didn't see the entire thread until today. You're right - I worded my response poorly. What I meant to say was that I was surprised that you'd take it upon yourself to speak for all of amfone by inviting someone here without first knowing more about their anti-AM history. What concerned me was the way you went from saying in your earlier post "This is what I said to Wayne" to implying that anyone who disagreed was being disrespectful when you later said "...we invited him". "We" didn't, "many" didn't, and it seemed out of character for someone who pays attention to details to be making such out of sync proclamations.

Glad to see that you and I appear to be the only two left discussing all of this. Hopefully my corrections here will clear this all up and put any misgivings others may be having about the direction of this thread to rest.

W1UJR
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2007, 08:02:52 PM »

Hopefully my corrections here will clear this all up and put any misgivings others may be having about the direction of this thread to rest.

I think you did just that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015