The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:47:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wayne Green W2NSD - What's Up?  (Read 29031 times)
W1UJR
« on: May 14, 2007, 10:07:31 PM »

Where has Wayne W2NSD been?

Since 73 ceased publication back in 2003, its almost like he dropped off the earth.
I used to get a kick out of his stories, comments and far out theories.
Is he alive, or just gone underground?
It does not appear that his website has been updated in a while.
I recall hearing him on Art Bell's show a few years back, but that was about it.

Interesting chap, wonder if he is still around?

73 Bruce W1UJR

WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 10:19:42 PM »

Wayne can be seen weekly on his wacky ranting TV public access show as he discusses aliens and how they are mating with chickens and ordinary folks like you and me.

MCAM Public Access Channel 23 - His show is called Wise Up!!

We are so lucky to have this broadcasting resource of truth and all things weird in beautiful downtown Manchester NH... Mike

These are the good old days of AM
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 08:11:03 AM »

Wayne must really be getting up there in years!  I used to enjoy reading his rants in 73.....didn't agree with a lot of it, but his entrepreneurial spirit and his brain-storming about ways to earn money was kinda inspiring at times.  I remember one such article that gave suggestions for earning money for ham gear.  I enjoyed 73 magazine in the earlier days, but it became over-run with ads.  I also have always been an avid home-brewer and 73 was a good source for project ideas. 

I hope Wayne is alive and well!

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 08:50:38 AM »

Just about 3 years ago I took a trip up to see the headwaters of the CT River- Having grown up near the mouth I always wondered what it was like. Went part way after work on Friday and had dinner in  a small NH restaurant.

I picked up a local NH free travel magazine and son of a gun the editorial  (and editor) was good old Wayne himself. As I recall it was light on the aliens and politicians since the concept was to advance tourism by humans , not pod people, to NH

He remains as humble as ever http://www.waynegreen.com/wayne/says.html#beenthere

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 12:01:32 PM »

Nice to know Wayne is still out there helping shape the publics image
of ham radio  Wink

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 12:24:49 PM »

Thats what I always liked about wayne, he always wanted    to serve man...

What? Me worry?
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 02:33:53 PM »

Yeah, in Marietta College days...   I used to decide whether to eat or read. 35 cents for Wayne's rag usually won out.
...uh along with F&SF, Sky & Tele., P'boy or similar.  I'm pretty sure he took credit for single handedly starting up 2m FM. Anyway the circuits published were great and what with the almost unlimited supply of surplus stuff at MC a lot of boot, receiver stuff, 3RP1 scopes and other impressive rack fillers were built up.  How's that for passive voco and hanging participles?  I really impressed the glitteratti with my racks in the ol' apartment. Some studying was almost done... Smiley  My usual intro to the room was, "mmm an' how do you like my Christmas tree?"  Some fled, some stayed but almost all were shocked. (sorry)

RICK  *W3RSW*
W1UJR
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 03:59:05 PM »

I sent good old Wayne the following message, hope he joins us over here!

73 Bruce W1UJR

===========
Hi Wayne,

Some of your fans, and former readers, with many fond memories of 73 magazine, are wondering how goes life.
I know that you enjoy the chance to expound on things radio and otherwise, perhaps you'd like to stop in at the AM Forum.
You can find us at www.amfone.net, and the discussion is located at http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=11128.0

We would all love to hear from you on what is up since 73, how things are going, and your opinion on the future of ham radio.
Care to chime in?

73 Bruce W1UJR
www.w1ujr.net
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 05:59:40 PM »

I just sent off an email to Wayne reiterating what Bruce sent.  Would love to hear from the OM.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
W1UJR
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 09:21:50 PM »

Reply from Wayne posted below:

On May 15, 2007, at 8:46 PM, W2NSD@aol.com wrote:

I'll give it a try. Thanks.
I'm very busy, writing and promoting my books, and doing a weekly TV show. You can watch the show on line at: http://www.mcam23.com/mpeg/movies/13SpecialtyTopics/WiseUP/
And you can keep up with me at www.waynegreen.com.
The Web still hasn't come up with a good way to call CQ, so until that happens, there's a place for ham radio. I loved it when I visited VK6RK in 1966 and he pulled out my 1946 QSL card. I've gotten on the air while visiting hams all around the world - the S-countries e.g, -- Sarawak, Sabah, Swaziland, Singapore, South Korea, Saint Lucia, Samoa (American), Samoa (Western), South Africa, Sweden, Saint Pierre, Syria, and Switzerland come to mind.

Wayne

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 10:06:40 PM »

Bruce,
Great that you contacted Wayne.  Just looking at his note and Wpage reminded me of the great Byte Mag. steal.   -How he started it and how others managed to hijack it away from him.

He's such a prolific writer and expounder that a lot of his stuff hits eventually...    statistically possible, of course.
Anyway he's really done a lot of what he says.  Hope he chimes in here occasionally.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 04:37:52 AM »

Got the exact same thing.

Reply from Wayne posted below:

On May 15, 2007, at 8:46 PM, W2NSD@aol.com wrote:

I'll give it a try. Thanks.
I'm very busy, writing and promoting my books, and doing a weekly TV show. You can watch the show on line at: http://www.mcam23.com/mpeg/movies/13SpecialtyTopics/WiseUP/
And you can keep up with me at www.waynegreen.com.
The Web still hasn't come up with a good way to call CQ, so until that happens, there's a place for ham radio. I loved it when I visited VK6RK in 1966 and he pulled out my 1946 QSL card. I've gotten on the air while visiting hams all around the world - the S-countries e.g, -- Sarawak, Sabah, Swaziland, Singapore, South Korea, Saint Lucia, Samoa (American), Samoa (Western), South Africa, Sweden, Saint Pierre, Syria, and Switzerland come to mind.

Wayne

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
WA3VJB
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 08:39:14 AM »

Bruce, it will be very interesting if he takes you up on your invitation to visit here.

If I remember correctly Wayne Green is no friend of AM.

Don, K4KYV may recall more specifically, but I vaguely link him with supporting efforts to curtail and / or eliminate AM below 10 meters, and / or constrain power below historic levels once allowed for the mode.

Somewhat related, the other day I saw a posting (QRZ.com) establishing a memorial for the late Roy Neal, K6DUE, who had produced some ham-radio videos years ago.  It is sponsored or supported somehow by the Quarter Century Wireless Association, headed by onetime FCC staffer Johnny Johnston, K3BNS.

Johnston is quoted with some friendly remarks about preserving ham radio traditions that I found somewhat at odds with his strong anti-AM stance as author of an FCC proceeding that would have banned AM below 10 meters (the 1976 Docket 20777). Public opinion defeated the proposal, but Johnston more recently went on to oppose the establishment of working vintage AM gear at NN3SI, the Smithsonian station in Washington DC.

He is the station license trustee.

So, if Wayne Green and Johnston as detractors of AM can come around to a more progressive view of the mode and activity we enjoy, then so much the better. But my query of the QCWA regarding its stand on AM has not yet been answered.

We shall see.

AF9J
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 10:13:36 AM »

I used to get 73 Magazine in the 80s & early 90s (remember the goofy price? -$2.49 1/2) .  Wayne's, Never Say Die editorials were interesting if you wanted to listen to some ranting.  I don't think I ever took them seriously.  KT2B, had a good VHF column, and some of the constuction projects were pretty cool.  But, I'd have to agree with Paul. Wayne had a tendency to ridicule anybody who didn't agree with his vision of the future.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out he was involved with plans to cut back or eliminate AM below 10 meters.  I'm pretty sure he considered AM dinosaur radio.  I remember in the 80s, when he pushed Packet Radio & Spread Spectrum big time.  Another interesting factoid, he used to joke about how he operated bootleg for over a year in the 30s or 40s, before he got his license.  He also used to occasionally mention how bitter he was about losing control of Byte magazine.

Ellen - AF9J
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 10:20:32 AM »

So, if Wayne Green and Johnston as detractors of AM can come around to a more progressive view of the mode and activity we enjoy, then so much the better. But my query of the QCWA regarding its stand on AM has not yet been answered.

We shall see.

All that charisma + influence and AM on the ham bands is still going strong. Must be frustrating.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 02:58:53 PM »

Wayne was almost vehemently anti-AM.  But he was a strong advocate of DSB suppressed carrier for use with the Costas loop synchronous detector system for reception.  He proposed that it would have been a better system than SSB, and in one of his rambling opinion articles, claimed SSB was chosen by the military over DSB because Art Collins had kissed a few more of the appropriate arses at the pentagon than the people at G-E, who were leading advocates of the Costas system.

If I recall correctly, Wayne once petitioned to phase out AM, some time in the early 60's, long before Johnston and his henchmen took control of the Private Radio Bureau at the FCC.  The petition was never taken seriously because at the time the majority of hams were still using AM and it would have probably forced almost as many people off the air as incentive licensing did.

Not too long ago I got an e-mail from a QCWA member who was very upset with some of the stuff Johnston was doing.

I recall his column in WorldRadio where he made a somewhat snide remark about getting rid of AM being easier said than done.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KA1ZGC
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 08:28:15 AM »

There are a lot of strange things about Wayne Green.

I enjoyed reading his "Never Say Die" editorials. Even when I disagree with the majority of what someone has to say, I'm willing to listen if the point is well-expressed and doesn't come off like a lecture or tirade. His editorials were thought-provoking, no matter how whacko some of the concepts, and that's the point to a good editorial.

He may hate AM, but he hates Glenn Bastard, too. Can't have everything (where would you put it?).

He's convinced the moon landings were faked. I guess we just shot those 1.2GHz beacons up there just to fool the hams into beleiving it really happened.

Remember, Wayne: shiny side in on the tinfoil anti-gubmint-mind-control hat.

I would classify Wayne Green the same way the Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy classified Earth: "mostly harmless". He's got his indellible mark on ham radio history (and revisions thereof), but we'll probably hear one or two more gems from him before his final crapout.

--Thom
Killer Agony One Zipper Got Caught
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 10:32:09 AM »

Bruce, it will be very interesting if he takes you up on your invitation to visit here.

If I remember correctly Wayne Green is no friend of AM.

Don, K4KYV may recall more specifically, but I vaguely link him with supporting efforts to curtail and / or eliminate AM below 10 meters, and / or constrain power below historic levels once allowed for the mode. 

I clearly remember his anti-AM rants.  In fact, I finally dropped my subscription to 73 Magazine as a result of his negativism toward AM, even though I was a charter subscriber to his magazine. 

vH

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 11:01:50 AM »

Wayne has always had a few cold solder joints....    klc

What? Me worry?
W1UJR
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 11:15:11 AM »

Hey guys, now is that a polite way to treat our invited guest speaker?

He might be reading this, we did invite him over.

Come on, I know we're more open minded than that here.

-Bruce W1UJR
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 11:50:06 AM »

Sorry. I suppose it would be better if we were all on SSBfone now.

Hey guys, now is that a polite way to treat our invited guest speaker?

He might be reading this, we did invite him over.

Come on, I know we're more open minded than that here.

-Bruce W1UJR
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2007, 12:55:30 PM »

Yes, indeed, Bruce.  I will be delighted to have him be our guest and read my post.  I'll even smile nicely at him. Roll Eyes

K2 Very Happy

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2007, 01:18:45 PM »

I met him years ago at the 73 offices when I stopped by to drop off my "Poor Man's Packet" article, enroute back from a trip to NH. He seemed like a very nice grandfatherly gentleman, quite a contrast to the firebreathing image I had of him from reading his editorials. I found them interesting to read and enjoyed his streak of independence. The $2.49 1/2 price always cracked me up too. I was sad to see 73 stop being published. I didn't realize he was against AM, but perhaps having some contact with those who practice the art he'll come to a better appreciation of it.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
W1GFH
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007, 02:08:07 PM »

Could be the heat of Wayne's editorials were exaggerated to keep readers reading, the way "shock jocks" exaggerate their behavior to keep listeners listening. Publishers know controversy sells magazines, and I doubt Wayne was any exception.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2007, 09:12:04 PM »

Wayne Green seems like he's in contact with the Alien World like Art Bell. Standing a little too close to those high power microwave dishes long time ago.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015