The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:17:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: washing machines  (Read 16393 times)
VE1IDX

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2007, 11:39:47 PM »

Well Frank, I hope your new machine is quieter then my (now 3 year old) Frigidaire/Sears Washer. It is one of the new "Green" front loaders and while is does save energy, and cleans great, it is a big signal noise generator! I can hear it 100 feet away from the house on my HF mobile. Keeps me off HF on Saturday mornings. Angry.. Steve W1TAV

A year ago we also bought a Frigidaire front loader washer and a dryer.The washer QRM's me when it runs and the dryer QRM's me on 40m and lower whether it runs or not. Angry Whenever I want to operate on 80m I have to run to the basement and flip the breaker off.I warned the XYL no laundry to be done early Sunday mornings while the 80m AM net is on 3735. Who in their right mind would spend $2200 for a pair of wideband QRM generators. My wife,that's who. Angry

Learn from others mistakes.You will never live long enough to make them all yourself.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2007, 08:55:47 AM »

$2200 are you on narkodics?
W1TAV
Contributing

The Glow of Wood and Radios

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2007, 11:09:01 PM »

Frank,

That must be the cost in Canadian dollars. I think I paid around $1200 for the pair in 2002.  Does Canada have a Value Added Tax too?   Huh

I will say I paid more then if I had gone with a conventional washer dryer, however I looked at the water and overall energy cost and I do believe I have saved the extra amount I have spent. The true measure of saving will be if they last as long as the ones they replaced (30+ years on the dryer and 20+ years for the washer)

Of course I don’t expect my wife’s 2002 PT Cruiser to last as long as my 1926 Model T has either. Smiley

Steve

* 2005 road trip.jpg (98.57 KB, 384x288 - viewed 384 times.)

Steve - W1TAV
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2007, 11:22:06 AM »

Yes, America, It's time to bend over that energy log once again. We can't get off that Middle Eastern oil Tit.

Would a line filter at the source of the QRM...Washer / Dryer stop it from getting into the A.C. lines OR is this a radiated signal into the ether? The microprocessors in these "Green" machines apparently do not have to pass the FCC test for RFI. The Class B rating that we have for our 'puters so they do not cause RFI. It would be difficult to get into those appliances and start the ferrit bead thing.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2007, 12:10:18 PM »

We can go back to diesel maytags... thatll keep the rfi down......

I wonder if some clip leads between the various metal parts might work ...  Something like bullett proofing a mobil setup.  The ferrites probably would help, but I'd try the clip leads to bare metal first.  Are there such things as sheat metal screws or nut/bolt fasteners? This may be the clip lead attachment points......   

For thems  that are interested,        http://www.fair-rite.com/newfair/pdf/CUP%20Paper.pdf        has an easier read than  Amidons  data sheets. You may wallow through the engin earing parts to get to the info that you need.

klc

What? Me worry?
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2007, 04:15:32 PM »

I guess one could get some of that aluminum duct tape and carefully shield the electronics inside the offending appliance, and go with "bonding" the cabinet pieces together and taking it to ground. What a hassle! Looks like you have to operate the appliances late at night so you can operate the Ham radio. Quiet hours for washers and dryers!!
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
VE1IDX

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2007, 09:58:12 PM »

$2200 are you on narkodics?

No, but given the fact my wife is an registered nurse I probably could start fairly easily.  Grin Actually those are in fact CDN$ so whatever $2200 workes out to back when the exchange was about 83 cents on the dollar.The units we purchased were just about the top of the line units with extra large capacity.They work great but generate LOTS of RFI. I have mixxed feelings about getting into them and trying to cure the problem. On one hand I would like to not have to kill the AC power to them whenever I want to operate 80m, and on the other hand I don't want to give the company any reason to cancel the warrenty.Oh yeah,she bought the five year warrenty too.

Learn from others mistakes.You will never live long enough to make them all yourself.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015