The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:00:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deerfield Schmeg Pile?  (Read 8439 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: April 24, 2007, 10:13:26 AM »

MrMike's post in another thread reminded me of the AM group's attempt to rid itself of excess items too good to throw away but really not worth the hassle of trying to nickel and dime folks for. Last year I was able to make a number of folks happy with freebies from my vast stash of 'schtuff' and would like to do so again this year.

The plan originally was to have a table of free items (panel meters, coils, ka-nobs, switches, pieces-parts etc) that others could take, and put to use for their HB or restoration projects. Unfortunately other events took control of my free time before Hopkinton last October, so I wasn't able to follow through with the complete plan, only items folks had asked about in advance.

I'm curious to know if others would be interested in such a table, and have items they'd like to contribute? If so, I'm looking for a table now for this purpose and invite others to leave their stuff on it as well. Think I have one here at work.

Obviously I'm not speaking of your Uncle Pete's R@RE unbuilt Heathkit for some bottom feeder to snatch up and resell on ebay.  Roll Eyes More the odds and ends you thought you'd need some day but don't, and would like to see someone put to use. The table will be centrally located in the AM area as a gathering/hang out point, but it's not my intention to man it day and night. I figure, the more stuff folks liberate, the less we have to take home and deal with later.

Also: have I promised any parts to folks already? If so, feel free to remind me. Sometime this weekend I'll be making a quick walk-through to compile a list of items which I'll post here next week. In the meantime, let me know if something comes to mind and I'll see if I have one kicking around in need of a new home. 

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 10:19:09 AM »

Great idea Todd,
Maybe have it near a dumpster so any needed clean up is easy too. The resellers (you know which ones) will show right up anyway.

Also: have I promised any parts to folks already? If so, feel free to remind me.

Yes, yes you did. It was your RA-17C with the KW-1 (mit new transformer).
Probably best if you just drop it off at the house Smiley

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
AF9J
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 11:06:23 AM »

OK Todd, Smiley

If you have one that needs a new home, I need a 6-pin (3 in a row), female Cinch-Jones plug for my transmitter, Ms. Cheyenne.  Let me know how much you'd like for it (if you have one of course).

Ellen - AF9J   
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 11:22:51 AM »

Great idea Todd,
Maybe have it near a dumpster so any needed clean up is easy too. The resellers (you know which ones) will show right up anyway.

Well, my thought is that most of the stuff on the table won't be worth their ebay time. I do have a few items to sell also, so I can just randomly invoke a price if I'm around and one of the trolls shows up. Wink

There's also a fellow on the NEAR-fest board offering to haul off unwanted electronics except CRTs, so we should be in good shape with casual crap that no one wants.

Yes, yes you did. It was your RA-17C with the KW-1 (mit new transformer).
Probably best if you just drop it off at the house Smiley

See, I had a feeling we'd talked since I got the Racal on Saturday. The new transformer might take a few days, though.  Grin

OK Todd, Smiley

If you have one that needs a new home, I need a 6-pin (3 in a row), female Cinch-Jones plug for my transmitter, Ms. Cheyenne.  Let me know how much you'd like for it (if you have one of course).

Ellen, can you send me an email or PM with a picture or diagram of the connector you need? I have a bunch of these in a box, so much of my old gear uses them that I grab any I find. Some have all the slots horizontal with an alignment pin/hole, others have a mix of horizontal and vertical. Also send me your mailing address and I should be able to get one out to you this weekend, maybe sooner. I have some stuff going out to Jason in 6-Land also.

Ed W1XAW
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 10:21:15 PM »

Last fall at Hosstraders I had some small items with a free sign . . .for the most part not a bite.  At the end of the fester I set them on a trash can and people came out of the woodwork and hauled it off.  Free=no takers, trash=picked clean. . . .any anthropologists want to take a stab at this one?   73 de Ed W1XAW
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 11:01:12 PM »

Hi Ed,
We were across from you (and I bought the DX-60 + picked up stuff for the Vortex) and noticed just what you spoke of.
My own opinion is that when it is "free" people think they look cheap taking it with the owner there. When it is in the trash and abandoned then they feel fine.

The XYL and I had a tag sale when moving about 13 years ago. She was somewhat hurt because something she had made did not sell at all for $10. At the end of the day as we were cleaning up as we put up a "free" sign. Some person drove up and insisted on giving her $20 for the item.....

We left the rest of the stuff out all night and by morning everything was gone.

Go figure, we are all nuts in some way

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
kf6pqt

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 06:42:01 PM »

I however, have absolutely no shame! If its in the free pile, I usually ask to make sure its SUPPOSED to be in the free pile, then grab it and thank the guy!

-Jason kf6pqt
(aka vortex jr.)

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 10:03:18 AM »

You really need to tank up your truck and head east, Jason. You could save me the work of hauling a pile of stuff over there.

BTW, a smaller box with goodies will be on its way to you by the weekend via Priority mail, to let you know that I haven't forgotten you. The receiver will go out when time permits.

At some point I'll post pics of the Atlas for all to see. Smiley

kf6pqt

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 11:21:17 AM »

Thanks Todd!

Yes, I'm actively seeking a 3/4 ton panel van, my little truck is on its last, arthritic legs.

-Jason kf6pqt

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
AF9J
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 11:42:20 AM »

Dumb question Todd.  Do you mean Atlas, as in the transceivers marketed by Herb Johnson (such as the  210, 215 & 350XL)?  I remember those When I was Novice in the late 70s.

Ellen - AF9J

At some point I'll post pics of the Atlas for all to see. Smiley
kf6pqt

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 01:15:23 PM »

No, he means Atlas like in greek/roman mythology, as this monster could hold up the freakin' planet!

Wink

-Jason kf6pqt

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
AF9J
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 03:03:51 PM »

Okee Doke!

Ellen - AF9J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015