The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:56:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W1UJR  (Read 3012 times)
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« on: April 17, 2007, 08:38:51 PM »

I just read Bruce's article in Electric Radio this month. It's a very well written story of his rescue of a complete Collins 30K-1 station only once removed from it's original owner. What a find!

Bruce details the restoration of the 75A-1 receiver in this issue. Best of all, a cliffhanger. In coming issues we will see "The Rest Of The Story" Way to go Bruce! Nice Job.

Mike
AF9J
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 09:55:46 PM »

I read that article too. A very interesting, & good story, about how it wound up in his hands after being unused for about 50 years.

Ellen - AF9J
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 10:28:37 AM »

I just read Bruce's article in Electric Radio this month. It's a very well written story of his rescue of a complete Collins 30K-1 station only once removed from it's original owner. What a find!

I'm not sure if 'rescue' is the term for buying a transmitter from another collector, Mike -  'revival' is probably more accurate in this case, thankfully. Wink

Getting an opportunity for such wonderful pieces of historic gear in like-new condition is rare indeed, and Bruce handled it perfectly by not trying to cut corners on the shipping as so many do, resulting in damage. He then took the time to disassemble, test, align, and clean as needed without overdoing it. The 'before' pictures are impressive. Other than some dust from years of storage, the stuff looked like new. I didn't expect to see any difference in the 'after' shots, but there is. Just goes to show what a little time, patience, and appreciation for the equipment can yield.

Bruce likely has one of the best, if not the best unrestored (beyond cleaning and adjustment) example of this scarce transmitter. And if you think it looks nice when you see the photos, you should hear it on the air. 'VJB may have a recording he can post. It sounds at least as good as it looks - wonderful!

Those of us who have seen Bruce's station, gear, quality of his workmanship, and share his appreciation for the history involved, know that this St James Gray beauty will be used and enjoyed the same as the black wrinkle HROs and other 'buzzardly' gear he is known for. Bringing it back to the light of day and back to the airwaves is truly a service to all who enjoy this old stuff.

FB OM! (that's dorkspeak for 'Good job, Bruce!)   Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 10:48:00 AM »

FB OM! (that's dorkspeak for 'Good job, Bruce!)   Grin

I think Dorkspeak now has a life of its own.

Drooling at the mailbox for my ER to read about this project. Bruce does nice work

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 11:21:56 AM »

If your copy hasn't arrived yet, you should have it today Carl. Mine was waiting last night.

I think we should schedule an old-fashion Field Trip (predates 'road trip') to the 'UJR studios some weekend this spring. Not only would you appreciate the gear, Bruce has the same afflic.....appreciation for brewed products as us. I think I feel a new tag line coming on....

<insert station call here> Studios...Old Gear, Good Beer...

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1UJR
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 12:58:01 PM »

Ah shucks guys, what do I say.  Grin

Thanks for the kind comments, all, I really do feel that I was most fortunate to have come across the station.
It was a perfect match, for the seller and myself.
He wanted to keep it intact, and not sell off pieces, and I was delighted to land the entire station.

You know, I see myself not so much as the owner of these wonderful icons of history, as much as I feel I am just a "caretaker", keeping it safe and sound for the future.
I wish I had know W7MGA, from his notes and documentation, it appeared that he was a most skilled builder, and really cared for the equipment.
Everything was original, except for a knife switch, mounted on a piece of lucite, on the rear of the band switch.
It was how he switched in additional antennas for other bands.
Even the construction was to the highest standard on this, he fabricated the lucite to bolt right onto the existing mounts on the rear of the knife switch.

And Carl, Todd and whoever, always consider you have an open invitation to stop by, any time, and chat.
Living up here on the wild and lonely coast of Maine, I always enjoy company and good conversation.
And often have a nice cold dark German brew on hand.

73 Bruce W1UJR

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015