The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:39:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's Your Callsign History  (Read 74840 times)
K1MVP
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2007, 08:34:39 AM »

"Wait" is not "hope" or is it "wish"

Technically that may be true Pete,--but lets be candid about the "context" in how "wait" is used
 in this sentence.
 Its like the guy who can`t "wait" for his old rich uncle to die so he can get his inheritance,--
 in other words his "grabs".(everybody knows he is hoping or wishing it to happen)

73, K1MVP
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2007, 09:05:26 AM »

I can hardly wait for the old hams to die, so that the younger ones can enjoy ham radio without the deprecating attitude.
So, men, eat up those sausages, drink those beers, and drive really, really fast.
David Goncalves
W1EUJ

This is about the lousiest post I have ever seen on this bulletin board.  "I can hardly wait for the old hams to die, so that the younger ones can enjoy ham radio without the deprecating attitude." 

If I ever saw a "deprecating attitude," the above quote personifies it.  That was absolutely uncalled for, and we older Hams deserve an apology.  Most of us are happy to welcome the newer folks into the hobby, myself included.  We don't always agree with FCC's policies on licensing standards, but that does not mean we deprecate those who benefit from them.  I plan to stick around for a long time, David, so don't hold your breath waiting form me to die.

Herbert J. Ulrich, Jr., Ph.D.
K2VH, formerly K2JVM and other calls, including DL5EN, while in the service of our country.

Herb,

My reaction was the same.  I read that post in total disbelief at the level of inconsiderate and thoughtless disregard for "the older generation" of hams.  I presumed that it was tongue-in-cheek, however, I'm not sure if I have ever heard/seen anything said here or elsewhere that would deserve such a hateful comment.....in jest or otherwise.

Some might try to drive a wedge between the generations....but frankly, I have always encouraged younger people to get into the hobby and I don't believe that the so-called deprecating attitude toward the younger generation is practiced by many people that I know or have heard on the air.

David...if you have personally had some unfortunate experience with "older generation" hams, perhaps you need to direct your comments specifically to those individuals!

73,  Jack, W9GT (proud to be an "old-timer" licensed for 48 years)

P.S.
As an addendum to my earlier posting of call-sign history.....have also held the special call-signs of KJ9ITU 1974 ITU conf celebration, KB9SA Boy Scout Jamboree - Indiana 1975, AD9UBF - 1976 Bicentennial, and W9T - 2006 celebration of 100 years of AM radio and phone band expansion.

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Ed Nesselroad
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2007, 11:21:26 AM »

Well, I wasn't going to wade in here, but the protestations finally pushed me over the edge. 

I, too, was first licensed 48 years ago (KN0VDD).  While there were very supportive hams encouraging a youngster of 10 in the hobby, there were also plenty of deprecating comments and attitudes.  I imagine most of you received CW replys to your early code transmissions with a variant of "...so-LID copy, OM." 

When I returned to the hobby after a football and girl-induced divergence, My new call (KA0DBA) was welcomed with deprecating comments like "...must be a bootlegger."  Talk about a fond embrace!

So, I changed my call (N0AUB) and guess what?  No small number of hams either talked about having an "N" call filter installed or pretended they couldn't hear me.  Gotta love it.

Even though there are regulars here who do not present themselves as superior beings, this website is rife with deprecating terms.  How often do you see the word "slopbucket" in posts?  Is that a term of endearment?  How many references to good old days, implying that hams today have somehow made things not so good?  Okay, I took my tests at Customs Houses in Kansas City and Denver...from a stern FCC examiner who first required you to pass the CW receiving test, then the sending test, then the written test (yes, 5 schematics to draw, too).  So what?

I've never taken the deprecations or the deprecators seriously, but they exist.  While I've dismissed most of it as either small minds, small self-concept, or small something else, it's a part of our ham culture.   When someone calls us on it, we shouldn't get overly excited.  We should just continue to quietly set the example...treat others the way we would like to be treated.  No apologies required.   
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2007, 12:49:16 PM »

C'mon guys, lighten up Smiley

I, for one, am proud of my history, smarts, wise and all knowing ways based on many, solid years designing, building, using a wonderful mode and most of all, listening to my elders.. heh, heh.   Ooops, looks like "I are one" now too.

We're almost down to defining what "is" is.

yours in moderation,
3RSW

RICK  *W3RSW*
W1GFH
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2007, 01:43:16 PM »

I imagine most of you received CW replys to your early code transmissions with a variant of "...so-LID copy, OM." 

Never happened to me. (BTW, how does one change between upper and lowercase letters on CW?)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2007, 03:06:42 PM »

Guess they just put the hyphen in between "SO" and "LID." 

Yeah, sure remember my first CW qso.  Couldn't copy a damn thing but I swear the come back that I did copy was, "nt the tiger eh rick?"

Shut down for a week before nerve returned.

RICK  *W3RSW*
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2007, 03:53:01 PM »

Guess they just put the hyphen in between "SO" and "LID." 

Yeah, sure remember my first CW qso.  Couldn't copy a damn thing but I swear the come back that I did copy was, "nt the tiger eh rick?"

Shut down for a week before nerve returned.

There is always: QRS...............MF........ Wink Wink

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2007, 05:56:38 PM »

I sincerely hope that some one of the "Thread Police" on this site doesn't see fit to zorch this thread because of my post.  I do not take back my thoughts on having death wished on the old timers, but I hope we can now get beyond that, and appreciate this thread for what it is -- a most interesting callsign history.  In fact, somebody ought to save it for future reference.

Yes, I too was a kid once, as I have shown by a number of pictures posted on this BB in the past year or so.  And, I was able to get along fabulously with W2OY, who really was very nice to us kids, lids, and space cadets.  Also, I had a great time  as a novice on cw, and never encountered any negative attitudes.  And when I got on phone, the old timers helped me to bring my modulation up from 10% to about 80%.  Maybe David will post here yet, and admit that he went a bit off the deep end with his comment about not being able to wait for the old timers to die.  That would be helpful and decent.

K2VHerb

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2007, 06:03:59 PM »

The one thing about posting text is one may not be able to determine jocularity.  I think Dave was just being a smarty pants. I wouldn't read anything into it.

Jocularity doesn't wish someone to die.  I'm not reading anything into it.  I'm taking it at face value.

vH

If Dave was being serious well shame on him. I'm not a newbie ham nor a OT either so I didn't take it as offensive.  I guess anyone could go either way.  That's a given.  I do prefer boxers rather than briefs.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2007, 06:57:56 PM »

Update on my call sign history:
1958 WV2CWA
1959 WA2CWA

"Thread Police": That could be considered a deprecating phrase or term along with "slopbucket", "ricebox", "Extra lite", "codeless and clueless", etc.

There are no thread police here. We have members, guests, moderators, and administrators. Grin

And, I prefer briefs. Tongue

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2007, 06:46:53 PM »

TMI !  TMI !
my underdrawer proclivities are best kept "holy."  Smiley

Amazing number of smilies creeping back in this thread.
And yeah, Frank,  I should'a thought of QRS MF.. but way back then about the worst you could call a guy was an sob; MF hadn't quite made general lexicon yet or at least not in my innocent little vocab. ... as opposed to the WWII (the big one) returning vets; I was just a pw little jn.   

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015