The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:36:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's Your Callsign History  (Read 74377 times)
W4EWH

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2007, 01:55:24 AM »

FCC office in Boston's Custom Tower had a crappy mono cassette player too, the kind with piano key buttons. From dents seen in the speaker grille, it looked like they kicked it around the office between exams. Sounded horrible, loaded with tape hiss.

At the time I took my Advanced test (~1968), they used an Instructograph with punched paper tape and some sort of tube oscillator.

I'll never forget the moment that the examiner looked up and said "You just made it".

Bill

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
K1MVP
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2007, 08:30:20 AM »

Whoa! 32 years at Advanced? There's hope for me yet!! Cheesy

1983 - Novice     KA1KAQ
1984 - Tech       KA1KAQ
1985 - General    KA1KAQ
1986 - Advanced KA1KAQ

Self-imposed 1 year waiting period between upgrades to learn the ropes. Hopefully I'll be able to scarf up an appropriate 4 Land call when the time comes.

Wow,--"self imposed" waiting period, something very unusual Todd. You are/ were old fashion after all.

If I recall correctlly my history was,
         Dec 59- Novice  KN1MVP
         March 60-Conditional K1MVP
         July 63 - General, FCC field examiner came to Burlington hamfest. K1MVP
         Oct 68- W0MUC(still general) Colorado
         Oct 71-W1GWD back in Vt.(before vanity callsign era)
         Summer 72-Advanced at Albany New York, FCC field office- W1GWD
         March 89- Extra W1GWD(VEC 20 wpm)
         JULY 2001-Got back original call(K1MVP) under vanity callsign program.

73, K1MVP

P.S, 2nd class radiotelephone(summer 68) at Boston customhouse.

kf2vm
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2007, 08:48:40 PM »

I started as WB2TZC in early seventies, N2ARJ around 79, N2IFY until I lost my license for having a Pirate Shortwave Station, then retested/reapplied in 94 and got KF2VM.  JAMIE
KA1ZGC
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2007, 12:08:53 PM »

1991 - KA1ZGC - Novice - Age 19
1991 - KA1ZGC - Tech - Age 19
1992 - KA1ZGC - General - Age 20
1994 - KA1ZGC - Advanced - Age 22

Now, for the edification of the "you ain't a real ham if you didn't take your exam in an FCC office" crowd (and you know who you are):

My Advanced exam was probably the most interesting of them all. I was sitting in the shack flipping the 2 meter CB through some of the local repeaters when I hear N1BCF get on a little-known seldom-used repeater in Augusta, ME to announce that she was giving an exam at her house in half an hour.

I immediately grabbed the mic and called back: "Grab a 4(A), Phyllis. I can just make your place in a half hour. KA1ZGC."

The tone of her voice made it quite clear that she was less than pleased that anyone heard her at all, but she gave me some quick directions and told me I damn well better be there in 30 minutes, not 31.

So I piled into my Chevy Celibacy and practically flew to her place, in about 28 minutes.

She set myself and another guy up on a rickety, wobbly card table, gave him his Novice and Tech written exams, and gave me my Advanced.

For those of you who never knew Phyllis: she was an old Army nurse. Y'know, the kind that comes off more like a tank captain or Gunner First Class, perhaps a drill sargeant. Someone who could easily kick the crap out of anyone who gave her any excuse to.

Before she even started going through my exam, she gave me the hairy eyeball and asked "You DID study for this exam, right?"

"Of course I did, Phyllis. You think I'd be dumb enough to waste your time on an exam I knew I'd fail?". Truth be told, I hadn't looked at the book in months.

She grumbled something under her breath, and started going through the exam. Every time she found an incorrect answer, she'd repeat the question (with a slightly hairier eyeball each time), and I would repeat my answer.

At the end, as she carved out the CSCE, she paused, pointed at me and said "Just ONE MORE wrong answer, and you would have FAILED!".

After she and the other VEs signed the CSCE, she handed it to me, smiled (which she didn't do very often) and said "Congratulations".

I thanked her, her smile vanished, she pointed at me again and barked "But NEXT TIME, you'd better do a WHOLE LOT BETTER than this!".

All I could do was chuckle. "You got it, Phyllis."

She handed the other guy his CSCEs (he passed his no-code tech), congratulated both of us again, and told us to get the hell out so she could go to bed.

Stopped at McDonald's in Augusta just before closing time and asked them what they had that was still hot. They sold me two cheeseburgers, which I inhaled on the way home, and exhaled for about two days afterwards.

So I'll see your FCC exam, and raise you one old Army nurse and a healthy case of food poisoning!  Grin

Just kidding, but that's one exam I will certainly NEVER forget!

--Thom
Killer Agony One Zipper Got Caught
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2007, 06:30:16 PM »

I was originally issued "KA3NIO" when I received my novice ticket, and then decided to shed the Novice 2X3 call when I upgraded to a (old) Technician. I wanted one of the new N calls so people would'nt think I was still a novice, and was issued N3IBX at the time of the Technician upgrade.

I kind of wish I retained the original KA3NIO, and could still get it it a vanity call. I decided to keep the "N3IBX", since that's the call people know me as. Changing a callsign can be confusing, and besides, I had QSL cards printed up. If I reverted back to my old callsign or a vanity call, I wouldn't be able to use them.

Mod-U-Later,
                 Joe Cro N3IBX ex: KA3NIO

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W1EUJ
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2007, 06:48:09 PM »

History:

1996 - Sequentially assigned Tech N1XZB (ick!), if I finished my test a little earlier, I'd be N1XYZ!
2004 - Vanity - W1EUJ. Same call as another ham (back in the 50's) that ran my school's radio club. Still a Tech.
2006 - Upgraded to Extra after deciding it was enough! Had my QSL cards printed.

BTW, folks who are going to the NEAR-FEST and would like to upgrade, there is a nearby VE session:

Goto : The Deerfield Fire Department at 4 Old Center Road South  Deerfield NH.
About 1 mile north of the Deerfield Fairgrounds on Rte. 43
Go N on Rte. 43 to the sharp curve at the curve, you take the left and then you will see the station

I'll be one of the VEs, hope to see you there.

David Goncalves
W1EUJ

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2007, 07:21:53 PM »

"If I reverted back to my old callsign or a vanity call, I wouldn't be able to use them. "

Get it as a club call and u can use 'em both...

_________  "The Vortex Society"_______________

What? Me worry?
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2007, 07:22:43 PM »

KA1ZGC wrote:
"So I'll see your FCC exam, and raise you one old Army nurse and a healthy case of food poisoning!  Just kidding, but that's one exam I will certainly NEVER forget!
--Thom
Killer Agony One Zipper Got Caught"

Thom,

That's a really great story.  I enjoyed it immensely.  Just for laughs and giggles I looked up ol N1BCF, and according to QRZ.com, she's still living at age 82 (born in 1925) and will have her license till Oct. 23, 2007.  Of course nowadays, someone can die and the ham world may not know about it for almost ten years.  Do you know if she's still living?  I would think it would be neat to contact her if she is--just to smile at her, and maybe get her to smile back.  And maybe give her a copy of your great write-up here on the AM Forum.

I thought your story was (K2) Very Hilarious!

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
WA1HZK

« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2007, 09:08:47 PM »

Started in 1966 with WN1HZK. Took my Gereral & Advanced at the Custom House, Boston,  with Dean, WA1HSD when I was in High School after that. Kept the WA1HZK all these years. Nothing special, it's just that I have had it so long I'm used to it and plan to keep it. They can pry it from my cold dead hands, etc. or until I get so buzzardly that I forget to renew it. I'll probably go out as a mindless boot, just as I started!

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2007, 09:29:26 PM »

Keith,
Way back then we all wanted to drop the A and be like the big guys.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2007, 10:19:28 PM »

Found this picture of a WWII WAC sergeant that transferred to the Red Cross.
Lordy.
My grandma is the one that says, "Mary", at the table to the right.
November, 1943.

* grandma2.jpg (393.91 KB, 3077x2552 - viewed 839 times.)
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2007, 10:43:25 PM »

How about some Canadian call-sign stories?

I got my first call (which I still hold) in 1969. VE2BAQ. This was it's second issuance, as it had belonged to Harold Goldstein, also of Montreal.  I guess he gave it up when he got his 2-letter call (or maybe he went SK?).

In 1989  I  moved to Ontario and applied for a VE3 call. Got  VE3RDZ.  At the same time, I applied for my two-letter calls, one for Quebec, and another for Ontario.

In Canada, one may have as many 3-letter calls as one can afford, but only  one 2-letter call per district.    I got VA3ES. The "VA" prefix was just starting then, and since I wanted my initials, they gave me a "VA" call.  (VE3ES  was already taken.)

I also received VE2SS (sloppy seconds), for Quebec.

Call signs are owned for life here.  Since about 1990 or so, the Certificate is  combined with the station license.  A new license costs $60.     

So, my progession is:
1969:   VE2BAQ
1990:   VE3RDZ
1990:   VA3ES
1990:   VE2SS

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
KA1ZGC
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2007, 12:42:15 AM »

Just for laughs and giggles I looked up ol N1BCF, and according to QRZ.com, she's still living at age 82 (born in 1925) and will have her license till Oct. 23, 2007.  Of course nowadays, someone can die and the ham world may not know about it for almost ten years.  Do you know if she's still living?

I only just learned by way of Tim that she passed on a month or so ago.

I actually took several exams from her over the years, my earliest being one of my first attempts at my Novice back in the mid eighties. I was a serious slacker about learning my code until the no-code tech came out in '91, then out of a renewed sense of purpose I mastered it and finally got my Novice.

From about 1986 to 1991, I took and failed countless code tests, but kept passing the Novice and Tech written tests, with only ever a pair of CSCEs to show for it. Many of them had Phyllis's signature on them, so her Sarge routine was one I knew well because I deserved it for so many years.

Phyllis never really faded into the past for me, she was at the last Windsor, ME hamfest I attended. I was actually suprised to hear she was gone, as I always pictured her pounding the crap out of The Grim Reaper for disturbing her sleep.

Guess we can't all live forever.

--Thom
Kraft Advertisement One Zesty Grated Cheese
Herb K2VH

« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2007, 09:56:28 AM »

Sorry to hear of Phyllis's passing, Thom.  She must have been a real character.  Sometimes curmudgeons can be fun!  I'm sure that I. A. Rockman, who gave me my General exam at the main Post Office Building on Swan Street in downtown Buffalo, has been gone for years.  He was really scary!  We referred to him as "Rocky," but not to his face. Grin

vH

K2VHerb

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
wa2zdy
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2007, 09:09:07 PM »

I have to bring this one back to the top after reading the Customhouse thread.

After being a Novice - WN2ZDY - for 11 months, Mom finally decided to let her 14 yr old HS freshman son go to New York City with a few seniors for his General test.  Little did she know he might just as well have gone alone months earlier.   In Dec 1975 I became WA2ZDY.  In Nov 76 I failed the Advanced and in Nov 77 I passed the Extra and 2nd class telegraph with radar and aircraft endorsements.

I met a female Extra my own age (18) in Dec 79 who had a newfangled 2x1 call.  By then one could no longer choose a call.  To amuse the YL though, I applied and sequentially got KE2P.  yuck.   Kept that until changing to AB5IQ (again sequentially) in 1992.   In 1996 with the vanity program I got W5ATX.

Soon enough it became apparent I would never return to Texas so I applied for and got WA2ZDY back in Feb 03.

A few years ago I got an email from a brother ham who filled me in on this call.  Sadly I lost the email and forgot the details.   But I'm the third WA2ZDY, the others having been in 1958 and 1964.

It's good to have my "own" call back.

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2007, 12:15:21 PM »

I guess lower letter call sign availabilty depended on the ham population of a given call area.

Should have been licensed a lot earlier but with help of Fairmont, WV club (MARA) and kind elmering of W8JM, my first call in 1970 was WN8FRZ. What fun! Built up a 6V6 xtal rig and with a used HQ 110AC had a ball and worked a good part of the country on 80 and 40.

Took the gen. and adv. at same time later in year at Fed. bldg. in Pittsburgh, then became WB8FRZ. 
Moved to northern Pa. in '74 and became WA3YPI.  "Yippie"  So just by moving to a lesser pop. area dropped from a "B" to an "A."

Hey, if I'd've moved a few years earlier maybe I'd've gotten a true 1x3. Anyway, should have kept that call or just dropped the "A."  - But changed it to W3RSW in '90's.  Moved back to WV in '95 and thinking about getting an 8 call.  "Just don't get no respect in these parts." 

And, Yeah, have to agree that 1x2's have lost a lot of their luster.  The neo-extra syndrome I suppose.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W1EUJ
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2007, 12:33:23 PM »

I can hardly wait for the old hams to die, so that the younger ones can enjoy ham radio without the deprecating attitude.

So, men, eat up those sausages, drink those beers, and drive really, really fast.

David Goncalves
W1EUJ
W2JTD

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2007, 02:54:46 PM »

I can hardly wait for the old hams to die, so that the younger ones can enjoy ham radio without the deprecating attitude.

I just want them off the highways.

No Ticket -  BOOT with a record machine (like, who didn't)
Novice - KB2IDU
Tech - N2JTD
General - N2JTD
Advanced WA2AM
Advanced W2JTD

Moe: Where were you born? Curly: Lake Winnipesaukee. Moe: How do you spell that? Curly: W-O... woof! Make it Lake Erie. I got an Uncle there.
Herb K2VH

« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2007, 05:43:25 PM »

So, men, eat up those sausages, drink those beers, and drive really, really fast.
David Goncalves
W1EUJ

This is about the lousiest post I have ever seen on this bulletin board.  "I can hardly wait for the old hams to die, so that the younger ones can enjoy ham radio without the deprecating attitude." 

If I ever saw a "deprecating attitude," the above quote personifies it.  That was absolutely uncalled for, and we older Hams deserve an apology.  Most of us are happy to welcome the newer folks into the hobby, myself included.  We don't always agree with FCC's policies on licensing standards, but that does not mean we deprecate those who benefit from them.  I plan to stick around for a long time, David, so don't hold your breath waiting form me to die.

Herbert J. Ulrich, Jr., Ph.D.
K2VH, formerly K2JVM and other calls, including DL5EN, while in the service of our country.

K2VHerb

--Edward R. Murrow
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2007, 05:48:33 PM »

The one thing about posting text is one may not be able to determine jocularity.  I think Dave was just being a smarty pants. I wouldn't read anything into it.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2007, 06:04:07 PM »

agree, thought it was funny Smiley

my dull call history

68 wn1knx novice
69 wa1knx advanced
77 wa1knx extra

am forever!
Herb K2VH

« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2007, 06:10:56 PM »

The one thing about posting text is one may not be able to determine jocularity.  I think Dave was just being a smarty pants. I wouldn't read anything into it.

Jocularity doesn't wish someone to die.  I'm not reading anything into it.  I'm taking it at face value.

vH

K2VHerb

--Edward R. Murrow
W1IA

« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2007, 10:56:17 PM »

Another boring history:
Novice in 1976 or 1977? WB1ELA
General from the Customs House in Boston 1981
Extra in 1993
and W1IA vanity in 1995

Brent

Run What Ya Brung!
K1MVP
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2007, 12:09:35 AM »

David Goncalves
W1EUJ

This is about the lousiest post I have ever seen on this bulletin board.  "I can hardly wait for the old hams to die, so that the younger ones can enjoy ham radio without the deprecating attitude." 

If I ever saw a "deprecating attitude," the above quote personifies it.  That was absolutely uncalled for, and we older Hams deserve an apology.  Most of us are happy to welcome the newer folks into the hobby, myself included.  We don't always agree with FCC's policies on licensing standards, but that does not mean we deprecate those who benefit from them.  I plan to stick around for a long time, David, so don't hold your breath waiting form me to die.

Herbert J. Ulrich, Jr., Ph.D.
K2VH, formerly K2JVM and other calls, including DL5EN, while in the service of our country.

Hi Herb,
This stuff of "hoping the OT`s die", by some newcomers was common on qrz.com during the cw ellimination "debates"--It got real "nasty",-- best thing is to ignore these comments, as all
it did was fuel the newcomer versus old timer differences.

This is the kind of stuff that does nothing to help heal our differences, but only make matters worse.

73, Rene, K1MVP

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2007, 03:30:49 AM »

1959 WA2CWA

"Wait" isn't "hope" or is it "wish"

This thread is Callsign History; let's not drive into the ground.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015