The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:54:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Last 12 Years at ARRL Headquarters  (Read 15955 times)
Jim, W5JO

« on: April 07, 2007, 10:19:58 PM »

Do't know if any of you are members of QCWA or not, but if you aren't you should find someone with a copy of the latest QCWA Journal.

The subject line is the title of an article by George Hart, W1NJM.  I found it vey informative and interesting, especially from the point of view of the current adminstration. 

I would post it, but it is copywrited, but those of you who are members of the ARRL need to read the article.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 10:21:55 PM »

Can you give us a synopsis or a few tidbits? TNX.

Do't know if any of you are members of QCWA or not, but if you aren't you should find someone with a copy of the latest QCWA Journal.

The subject line is the title of an article by George Hart, W1NJM.  I found it vey informative and interesting, especially from the point of view of the current adminstration. 

I would post it, but it is copywrited, but those of you who are members of the ARRL need to read the article.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 10:45:45 PM »

Suffice to say it is pretty much an inditement of the current management at HQ.  The opening sentence goes like this: "The last 12 years at ARRL headquarters were the hardest of my total of 39 years and 8 months.".  It is so long and complicated that even a partial posting would require quite a bit of space.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 11:23:06 PM »

Jim,
Does the QCWA have a website where it might be posted for online reading. I probably know what he saying. I would just like to compare notes to see if they are seeing things in the same light as me.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 11:28:04 PM »

Suffice to say it is pretty much an inditement of the current management at HQ.  The opening sentence goes like this: "The last 12 years at ARRL headquarters were the hardest of my total of 39 years and 8 months.".  It is so long and complicated that even a partial posting would require quite a bit of space.

For those who don't know who George Hart is:

From the ARRL Letter, November 14, 2003
* Former HQ staffer George Hart, W1NJM, turns 90: Retired ARRL
Communications Manager George Hart, W1NJM, celebrated his 90th birthday
November 1. A Charter Life Member of the League, Hart spent four decades
as a member of the ARRL Headquarters staff and continues to be an active
amateur and regular participant in Field Day as a member of the Newington
Amateur Radio League. First licensed in 1929 as W3AMR in Pennsylvania, he
began his ARRL career in 1938 as a second operator at the then-new W1AW
Maxim Memorial Station. He spent two years in the US Army during World War
II, during which the government silenced Amateur Radio, and he retired in
1978 as communications manager.
Hart has contributed hundreds of articles
to QST over the years. Well wishers may contact him at 66 Highland St,
Newington, CT 06111 or via e-mail <w1njm@arrl.net>;. Happy birthday,
George!

He's now "almost" 94. His "last 12 years at the ARRL" would put the time frame from 1966 to 1978.

That's back, way back to disco balls, flower children, muscle car death, no gas, and strange hairdo's. Dig it baby!

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 11:33:25 PM »

I checked the QCWA web site Mike. Nothing there.
WA3VJB
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 10:22:11 AM »

He's now 94.

He turns 94 Nov. 1
W3SLK

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 06:46:09 PM »

Jim was only able to send me just one page of the article. It certainly left me wanting more. This was about the time K1ZZ came on the scene. After reading it, Dave Sumner ought to be ashamed of himself.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 08:23:52 PM »

Jim was only able to send me just one page of the article. It certainly left me wanting more. This was about the time K1ZZ came on the scene. After reading it, Dave Sumner ought to be ashamed of himself.

From the ARRL Web Site, K1ZZ partial bio:

First licensed as KN1ZND in 1962 at age 13, Dave has been active in nearly every phase of Amateur Radio operating with special emphasis on CW contesting. Active from the first as an ARRL volunteer, he joined the Headquarters staff in 1968 for the summer, became a part of the permanent staff in 1972, and was named Assistant General Manager four years later. He was named Secretary and General Manager in 1982, with a change in title to Executive Vice President in 1985 and the additional title of Chief Executive Officer in 2001.

I think (my 70's QST's not in handy reach) Dick Baldwin, before going off to the IARU, was General Manager around the mid 70's. "Dick Baldwin, W1RU--Responsible for much of the behind-the-scenes building of international support for new amateur bands at 10, 18 and 24 MHz at World Administrative Radio Conference 1979."

W3SLK

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 08:10:41 AM »

Well, the first part of the article talks about how much of a shit David Sumner was/is. He didn't metamorphis in the complete a-hole he is today, he according to George Hart he started when he was at the (be)League(d) at the age of 22.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
WA1GFZ

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 04:38:01 PM »

You wanna make them dance ask who ripped off all the old stuff that was set up in the lobby for all to see.
W3SLK

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 09:36:02 PM »

I got the complete article. I just as well not have any contact with that bunch of pinheads up in Newington.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 10:03:32 PM »

You wanna make them dance ask who ripped off all the old stuff that was set up in the lobby for all to see.

I recall at one time they were talking about setting up a small radio museum at League HQ.  But a few blow-hards successfully nixed the idea, saying that the League should be looking to the "future", not dwelling on the "past".

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 02:10:58 AM »

I got the complete article. I just as well not have any contact with that bunch of pinheads up in Newington.

Pinhead - Is He Fact or Fiction

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 02:16:00 AM »

I recall at one time they were talking about setting up a small radio museum at League HQ.  But a few blow-hards successfully nixed the idea, saying that the League should be looking to the "future", not dwelling on the "past".

I think Don they still have a few pieces on display in various parts of the building. I saw the original museum that they had set up in the entrance area back in the 70's. It required a lot of room. Given what I remember about space the last time I was there several years ago, I'm not sure they have any available space to set up even a small museum.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015