The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:18:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats a fair "swapmeet" price for a DX-100?  (Read 7837 times)
kf6pqt

« on: March 29, 2007, 04:21:47 PM »

Figure in "fair" condition, that'll go right on the air once you dust it off and drag it inside?

Thanks,
Jason kf6pqt

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
K1MVP
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 04:48:32 PM »

Figure in "fair" condition, that'll go right on the air once you dust it off and drag it inside?

Thanks,
Jason kf6pqt

It all depends what "fair" means,--If I was buying from someone I don`t know,--I would be "very
careful" as to what I would offer.
Most "old rigs" will probably need some work, especially if they have been stored in a humid
basement, or garage.

Buying a used "vintage" rig is like buying an old car,--ya never know what "lurks under the hood".
I would offer a minimum amount, especially the rig has not been "fired up" for a long time.
Then again,--you could get the rig home and it might work for a small amount of time, and
then the mod transformer "blows",--then ya got the problem of finding a replacement, or getting
a spare parts rig.

On the other hand,--If I know the guy, and know that its a good transmitter,--I might give
him his asking price, especially if it in good shape,--$150 to $200.

A parts one,--probably $50 to 75 bucks, --tops.

73, K1MVP

kf6pqt

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 05:38:31 PM »

Thanks, thats pretty much exactly what I had anticipated, just needed the sanity check.

I figure the DX-100 is the best bang for the buck on a "mid-size" rig, now I just have to wade through the computer crap at this month's swap to see if anybody actually brings one!

-Jason kf6pqt

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 06:46:43 AM »

the dx 100 will need new filter caps at minimum. they are 100uf 500 volt jobs twist lok. The odds o these being good are next to nil in a rig hat has not had the HV turned on in years. Also limit yer audio to a 30-40hz to 10K or so bandpass. The LV is on the audio chain all the time and sub sonics and ultrasonic osscillations (sic) can start and build up where he rig will smoke out. That what happened to the original Derb-100, a ultrasonic built up and I was upstairs. filled basement with smoke and lunched everything in the rig. That how I met the Frank-o Tron so many years ago.  Smiley
W8EJO

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 07:38:52 AM »

Quote from: kf6pqt link=topic=10726.msg75806#msg75806 date=1175204311
I figure the DX-100 is the best bang for the buck on a "mid-size" rig,
-Jason kf6pqt
[/quote

IMO the best bang for the buck is the Viking II. Extremely robust construction, separate VFO, many were factory wired (noted on the chassis) where all heath kits were amateur wired and the CDC version (the one I have) is a general coverage transmitter 1.7 mc - 32mc.

Terry
W8EJO

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 07:57:57 AM »

I agree with Terry. (course I'm a bit partial)
The Vikings 1 and 2 are a good bang for the buck. The audio interstage transformer can be a weakspot but replacements are readily available. Probably more so than the DX100 mod iron.

In the long run either will be a great first boatanchor transmitter.
K1MVP
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 09:58:12 AM »

I agree with Terry. (course I'm a bit partial)
The Vikings 1 and 2 are a good bang for the buck. The audio interstage transformer can be a weakspot but replacements are readily available. Probably more so than the DX100 mod iron.

In the long run either will be a great first boatanchor transmitter.

Good points,--
I have had all 3(DX-100,viking 1 and viking II) at one time or another, and I agree the Viking 1 or
2 make a great rig(easy to work on) and they dont weigh as much as a DX-100(which weighs in at
100 lbs +.
Ya can get a hernia lifting a 100 onto a bench.

73, K1MVP

P.S., I ressurected a Viking 1 a few years ago and sold it at hosstraders,--wish I would kept it now. 

Jim, W5JO

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 11:18:17 AM »

I like the DX 100 better despite its  weight, but what do you get with the extra weight?  Better transformers and higher quality switches.  The band switch in the DX 100 uses both sides of the wafer to carry the current.  That is two times what the Johnson stuff uses. 

Heath furnished the same quality tube sockets and wiring as Johnson.  Both had small interstage transformers, but the DX 100 had a more roubust audio section compared to the Viking one or two.  It is easier to better the DX 100 because you do not have to change tubes in the audio. 

Given the differences I would choose a similar DX 100 over the Johnson, you will be working on it less.
W1GFH
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 11:55:49 AM »

Jason the only downside of the Viking I/II is you'd need an external VFO, which can be a pain in the scrote. The DX-100 and also the Heathkit Apache are worth keeping an eye out for.
kf6pqt

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 12:12:45 PM »

Maybe I should have said "lower acquisition cost,"  as I notice there's a bit of a premium on the Johnson stuff.

The VFO is a big deal to me, as none my non-tranceivers have one. But yes, I wouldn't mind having either... but with my affliction of boatanchorus packratitis, it'll likely be "both" at some point. Wink

-Jason kf6pqt

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
W8EJO

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 07:10:17 PM »

Jason the only downside of the Viking I/II is you'd need an external VFO, which can be a pain in the scrote. The DX-100 and also the Heathkit Apache are worth keeping an eye out for.

I'm not so sure the inernal VFO is of the DX 100 is an advantage or a disadvantage. I  run a Heath external VFO with my Viking II. It seems more stable (less heat) than the internal DX-100 VFO.

Terry
W8EJO

Terry, W8EJO

Jim, W5JO

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 07:43:51 PM »

I'm not so sure the inernal VFO is of the DX 100 is an advantage or a disadvantage. I  run a Heath external VFO with my Viking II. It seems more stable (less heat) than the internal DX-100 VFO.

Terry
W8EJO

Many of the problems with the VFO or other sections may be traced to poor construction practices.  If you have a stability problem then think about checking the solder joints, etc. 

The construction manual is clear and says, do not overheat the low value, temperature compensated capacitors, for they may be damaged.  Wonder how many read that part?
W8EJO

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 08:35:01 PM »

Many of the problems with the VFO or other sections may be traced to poor construction practices.  If you have a stability problem then think about checking the solder joints, etc. 

The construction manual is clear and says, do not overheat the low value, temperature compensated capacitors, for they may be damaged.  Wonder how many read that part?

MY POINT EXACTLY RE: THE  DX-100. BUILD QUALITY IS VARIABLE. MANY (DARE SAY MOST)VIKING II'S WRE FACTORY WIRED.

TERRY
W8EJO

Terry, W8EJO

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 09:44:45 PM »

he weak spot in the viking 1 is NASTY TVI. the buffer circuit contains a very strong signal on channel 6 tv if not modified. it's a easy mod, trap cap around a rx I think, or maybe a coil aound a rx. but without it the viking 1 is very bad on interference. The Viking 2 is clean as hell.

the weak spot on audio is the 6au6 driver tube for the 807's. get the good D-104, plug a 6ah6 in the mic tube socket and install a triode connected 6 aq5 after wiring changes for that tube. get the driver transformer from antique elecronic supply, the one that will take 20 ma of current.

that will give you a scroteful sounding viking without major surgery.
kf6pqt

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 03:32:03 PM »

No cheap DX-100 at this month's swap. Sad  (TRW) Heck, No boatanchor tx to be seen, and believe you me, I have the radar to spot 'em.

Though, I did score a bunch of ceramic insulators and standoffs, and a johnson variable cap the size of my arm... so, that rounds out much of what I need for an amplifier...

Already have 3 811a's, an 813, and a 250TH and a coupla 4-400's... hmmm....

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015